10 1/2 Ruger 357 Maximum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

First of all, Contender is a huge enabler about guns, and he's sneaky about it too. At one point he handed me a gun and says here, shoot this. When I asked him what it was, his reply was, don't look at the gun, just shoot it. :D

But, shooting with him, I really loved his 357 Maxi. They are big revolvers, but balance very well, and the weight absorbs the recoil nicely. In one of the links below, there is some talk of modifying the grip frame to a Bisley grip; I think I'd like that.

So I got this one, it was for sale here in the classifieds. I bought it from forum member CMH, who, by the way, was very pleasant to deal with.

The gun looks to be shot very little if at all really. It came with a very good to new condition box and some manuals inside. I'm told the grips are Elk Stag from Patrick Grashorn. I have a few sets of his grips and they do indeed look like his work.

A9OvLgsl.jpg

2p6DYYNl.jpg

1inkkcCl.jpg

IxQqs9Bl.jpg

In poking around this forum and other forums looking for information about this caliber, I did come across some very interesting history. The development of the caliber, some talk about it starting out as a Wildcat caliber and then why Ruger decided to stop production. Some people think it might turn into the next Hawkeye revolver, in terms of rarity and collect-ability.

Here are some links to threads about the development of the 357 Maximum. David Bradshaw who posts here had a very big lead in developing this Ruger revolver. I've read all of them, and I've gotta say, it's incredible to be able to know some of you and talk with others, knowing what you've done for the shooting sports.

David Bradshaw Photos: http://rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=221187

194 Grain Bradshaw-Martin SWC-GC: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=267666&start=45

Article in the American Handgunner about the Bradshaw Martin SWC: https://americanhandgunner.com/think-tank/the-bradshaw-martin-swc/

Article in the Los Angeles Silhouette Club by Glen Fryxell: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell357Max.htm

Thread on the Single Actions Proboard: http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/11986/ruger-357-maximum

There is a lot more information out there. This is some of the more interesting articles I could find.

Chief 101

Hunter
Now you did it! I've been agonizing over whether to shoot or sell my Max revolver. I bought it decades ago, I also made ammo at the time just never shot it. It' going into service. Thanks alot!

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee Kevin,, aren't all Ruger fans SUPPOSED to be enablers? :D :D :D

Seriously,, the Maxi is a under appreciated caliber & firearm in the Ruger. Sadly,,, thanks to folks using hot powders,, & light bullets,, that resulted in a little top strap flame cutting,, which caused a few folks to complain to Ruger,, resulted in getting Bill to stop production AND scrap about 5000 guns.
Bill Ruger,, like many folks had a temper,, that if it flared at the wrong moment,, over something that was a bit controversial, could blow up & do things that really could have been avoided,, or otherwise addressed. And we lost the opportunity to have a longer main frame gun available for many other things due to that temper & attitude. Bill,, IN MY OPINION,, got too upset over all of it.
But,, many of us,, (myself included) can do the same thing.

And,, as you've found out,, David Bradshaw is a WEALTH of serious knowledge about these guns & what they can do & what they were designed for. Also,, member "Coogs" is as knowledgeable as anyone about these fine guns. With about 11,000 of them out there,, they won't be as scarce as the Hawkeye,, but they do command a premium when up for sale.

And those of us who have "shooters" and actually do shoot them,, well, we know what we have & we smile when we enlighten someone else. Welcome to the club Kevin!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Good post contender, I've often felt the same way about the Max.

In fact just as little a thing as a flash shield to protect the top strap above the bar/cyl gap (like S&W's) and folks could have had their way with the Max without complaint or a headache for Bill.

I hadn't considered the fact, if Ruger had kept the longer framed Maximum, there could have been other calibers as well, hmmm. I came across a lot of people commenting how these 357 Maxi's make great conversion guns into bigger calibers. I won't be doing that!

But what also intrigues me is, I could shoot my light 148 grain 38 wadcutters in this gun. I think there might be too much space between the 38 case and the barrel however, so I probably won't try that either.

Chief 101: I hope you do shoot yours. I debated for a brief second about shooting this one. But I feel any monetary value lost from shooting will be gained back in personal pleasure from shooting it. Besides, it will always be worth something. And the thread where David Bradshaw tells about the loading of the Maxi is well worth reading.

Chief 101

Hunter
Kev, I'll shoot it. I tore it down last night and did a trigger and a clean and lube. I bought it new along with a 7.5" version which I shot. Previous to the Max I shot 44Mag in 7.5 in IHSMA from '77 to about '82. My dad won a 10.5" boxed 44 Mag at one of the IHSMA International matches(which I confiscated and shot). When my eyes went south they all went down the road (mid 90's) except for the long barreled Max. There is a turn line on it since I had to dry fire it so it is not pristine. Cataract surgery has me yearning to shoot offhand at long ranges again and all I have is the Max. There you have it, if the weather is agreeable I will be shooting it this week. I made nice grips for it years ago...
This is a great thread, hope I didn't hijak it...

don44

Hunter
[quote
This is a great thread, hope I didn't hijak it...[/quote]

You've done just fine!

sixshot

Buckeye
Chief101, you're making a wise choice & you'll wonder why you waited so long to break it out & shoot it. You're going to love that gun once you get it dialed in. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe you'll see some brand new one's.

Dick

magnum711

Bearcat
sixshot said:
Keep your fingers crossed, maybe you'll see some brand new one's.

Dick

Dick, do you have some secret squirrel info to share? I'd like a maxi, again. LOL

Chief 101

Hunter
Thanks y'all...I don't wonder why, when the eyes don't work we make bad choices...namely selling some great revolvers....fortunately I saved one of them good'ns

sixshot

Buckeye
No, I just keep saying it's too good of a caliber to not have it reborn. Handgun hunting is very popular & guys want a flat shooting, low recoiling gun that will take game cleanly out to 200 yds if need be. The 357 maximum, in the right hands, scoped will do that, we need to keep begging Lipsey's, they are the best hope we have.

A 10.5" barrel, bisley grip frame, drilled & tapped from the factory, or set up for Ruger rings, short 11 degree forcing cone & we would have one dandy hunting six gun capable of doing amazing things at distance. This would be in stainless of course.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Dick is preaching,, (or maybe begging) again! :D :D :D
He,, along with many of us do wish & hope for a "new" Maxi to make an appearance. of course,, I'm right beside him during all of it!

Johnnu2

Hunter
If Lipsey's does ever get us a new Max., I hope 'someone' will give us a heads-up :)))
p.s. put me down for a SS Bisley with a 6+ inch tube.
J

Kind of like the "Hunter" models available? A Bisley grip frame would be nice, stainless with micarta grips. Oh baby! The nice thing about the caliber is, it wouldn't need to be a 5 shot cylinder.

Chief 101

Hunter
zeVxz4t.jpg

Kev, I like the grips on your gun, in fact I've had Grasshorn grips on a SBH in the past, sold them earlier this year. These I made a couple of decades ago, they fit me well so I keep moving them...they will stay on this one now.

Chief 101

Hunter
Thanks, It is Maple, from an old Red Maple tree that rotted and fell on a farm next to me. I cut it up and made numerous furniture items(rocking chair, nitestands, Ruger single action grips, a couple of stools and more. Most of it was fiddleback and solid enough...I still have a couple of chunks left, time to use it up...