10 1/2 Ruger 357 Maximum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I often wonder why Ruger didn't build a stainless version of the SRM?
Likewise, IHC on the frame stops 100% of any "flame cutting" potential. I feel like Ruger abandoned the 357 Max and hunters n target shooters across the nation, far too early.

Think of the 414 Supermag, or even the 445 Supermag in a Ruger SA in treestands. Venison!
The SRM guns are true collectibles.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Heard about the four to six stainless frames also - but it proves my point that Ruger never marketed to fix the issue (which was a handloader problem in its entirety) , they essentially just gave up.
Of course, Magnum Research provides the long frame BFR, a hand built SA for which PTC used to supply the frames. Never fferred by Ruger as production guns.
Now back to the story...

contender

Ruger Guru
mohavesam,, you obviously didn't understand Bill Ruger. He lost one lawsuit,, over the NM vs. the OM. We got the billboard warning because of that. Bill got upset over the liberal judge who ruled against him. When fear mongers & Ruger haters started screaming the evils of top strap cutting,,, Bill got "upset" (and for the many folks I've spoken with,, Bill did have a temper,) and scrapped the entire program.

Did chucking the whole idea cost a lot of money? Or did it simply mean changing a few machines back around to the way they were before? I.E. building the frames longer to accommodate the maximum cartridge length.

And why would they have only made half a dozen stainless examples? It seems odd to only make a few. But I guess they weren't making a million guns a year back then. I suppose it took longer to make those six stainless guns than it would today.

The interesting thing, I think, about these maximums are the barrels. In one of those links to the threads above, I believe it's David Bradshaw who says the barrels were a special order from another company. And I don't want to use the term "bull barrel" but they are definitely larger in diameter than a regular Blackhawk. It gives the gun a nice profile. And better balance.

I did take mine shooting yesterday.

---continued---

---continued---

I only loaded 25 rounds to test the primers and powder etc. 180 grain bullets, 4227 powder and the CCI BR4 primers. All in all, I'm very happy. It shot a little to the right, but grouped wonderfully. I could not be happier.

I also love the fact the Maximum started out as a more or less wildcat cartridge.

It is an inherently accurate revolver. :D :D :D

9hb1GCcl.jpg

I know, I'm not shooting at a very long distance. However, my gun range just installed a new 50 yard range for AR's and the like. Next time I can use that range to fully test the inherent accuracy. (ode to the thread in the lounge.)
TFCz7sYl.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Kevin,, there were around 16,000 357 Maxi's built,, but Bill got upset & physically scrapped about 5000 of those guns. So,, the actual numbers are around 11,000 gun that left the factory as true Maxi's. As for what it cost,, Bill was also looking at how a single lawsuit could cost him a lot more. Add in his temper,, and we lost a good caliber, gun & frame design.

Looks like you are on your way to the sweet spot with your Maxi!

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
The Ruger Blackhawk .357 Maximum is a developed cartridge, from the start intended for SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) standardization. No wildcat genealogy. Top erosion was proven a non-issue in our testing, as it self-arrested, this observation made by Bill Ruger, Jr., while the issue was is question----before the world knew the gun existed.

I was aware of just one stainless prototype----which I shot extensively----which was made about the time the first two stainless Super Blackhawks were made. Coogs informed me of three other stainless Maximums. Coogs can clarify. There were seven SRM prototypes----blued, long frame Blackhawk .357 Maximums, five with 10-1/2" bbl., two with 7-1/2" bbl. Ruger called the silhouette model "Bull barrel." Beside adding weight to steady and dampen over long strings of fire, the bull barrel keeps the extractor rod straight through the chamber when pushed through a straight ejector housing.

The stainless Maximum I shot is pictured with 100 yard target in a DB photo essay piece in Singleactions and Rugerforum.com. I believe serial #600-14,111, but I'll have to check. This indicates that any other stainless Maximum would have been serial numbered within production numbers.

Ordnance quality stainless resists gas cutting better than 4140. Stainless heats up slower and cools down slower than carbon steel. Ruger pours stainless somewhat hotter than 4140. Both types are heat treated and through hardened. Bill Ruger and Bill Ruger, Jr., would not think of trying to case harden (surface harden) 4140 for decorative, or any other, purpose.

Bill Ruger was not afraid of being sued. Bill Ruger proudly stated, "We are self-insured. We are immune to the impulse of an insurance company to cave in. We will fight every lawsuit." It infuriated Bill Ruger that----he named Remington----had caved.

The .357 Maximum is a high performance cartridge, which everyone knew before they had an opportunity to shot it. Bill Ruger felt stabbed in the back by people he trusted to appreciate the performance of the round and the revolver.
David Bradshaw