#1 shooting accessory

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trauma1

Single-Sixer
So, With the recent addition of 2 large bore rifles, a 375 H&H(non-Ruger) and 458 WinMag(Ruger), I have done a lot of reloading research. My goal is to get some decent deer/hog reduced loads for these 2 rifles. In my endeavors I have found a lot of disparity between loads both published and un-published. The best loads though seem to come from those with Chronographs. That being said, I think the #1 accessory for reloading and working up a load could possibly be a chrono. I think as reloaders we dismiss this piece of equipment and relegate it to the "wish list" items. However, an entry level model will set you back @ $100, which is very reasonable and less than the price of a new mold. I think every reloader should have one. We blindly accept minimum and maximum loads accepting them as safe, etc. You can disagree and that is fine but tell me why.

I can and have reloaded for years without a chronograph, and as you stated we all put it on the back burner. I get accurate loads using published data that is well within the safety margins. Obviously you buy custom moulds, cause I can buy 3 or four moulds for $100. I agree that chronographs are nice, and plan to have one before I die.
gramps

contender

Ruger Guru
I have owned a chrono for over 20 years. It has proven invaluable to my load development, and it helps to show what my reloading abilities are, as well as keeping my velocities within the specs set up by SAAMI. The only thing a chrono doesn't do is show the PRESSURE generated in a firearm. But, by not pushing the limits, and by studying the caliber, I can safely work within the pressures if I do my part.
A chrono is an excellent tool, and well worth the money.
I too buy custom boolit molds, and I have bought "off the shelf" molds. Even off the shelf molds run $40 & up used nowadays. (Except Lee molds.)
But I will disagree with the chrono as being the No. 1 accessory. The No. 1 accessory is knowledge. The chrono can be an easy second though! (Gotcha!) :D

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I'd have to say a good micrometer with precision to .0001 inch just edges out a chrony. Very, very helpful when working up cast loads. Goes hand-in-hand with a chrony for monitoring pressure signs when working the upper regions in load development.

So, I'd say #1for me really is chrony PLUS micrometer. I know, it's two tools, but, *shrug*.

DGW1949

Hunter
Contender has it right....velocity does NOT equate to pressure.
Different loads can be worked up which will show the same X-amount of velocity, but they will all still-have different operating pressures due to the difference in powder burn-rate, difference in primers, seating depth, bullet friction, and a few other factors that the average guy has no way to determine.....so....in the end, we are still (mostly) limited to "blindly accepting minimum and maximum loads as being safe etc etc."......unless of course, one gets the idea that owning a chronograph makes him as smart as the the guys who writes the manuals.

Apples 'n oranges if ya ask me.

DGW

Chief 101

Hunter
I like a crony for finding the point of "diminishing returns" which usually finds the sweet spot...I use precision measuring tools when needed, and crony when needed but the good manuals and good books are what I depend on before I start any reloading project...
I use internet misinformation when component manufacturers make it into information...

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Making 'ammo'?
No chrono.

Developing loads for specific platforms using clearly defined goals for the loads?
Get chrono.

IMNSHO the most important 'accesory' for reloading is safety glasses.

abolt311

Bearcat
I use my chrony for finding the lowest SD and ES in my quest for accuracy. That and which load meets my accuracy needs while being an efficient use of powder. It's the never ending circle of reducing variability.

Latest posts