454 Casull in a Ruger #1 Loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bitman

Bearcat
I picked up a Ruger #1, that's been rebarreled for the 454 Casull.
Has anyone reloaded the 454 Casull for rifle use?
Any recommended loads.
Thanks for any info you can share.

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
Any load data for revolvers will be safe in your Ruger, worked up to as usual of course. The use of the slower powders like H110 and AA1680 should high velocities in the longer barrel.

One thing to watch out for is bullet construction if you intend to hunt with it. Muzzle velocity will be much higher than in a revolver - from 300 to 500 fps higher with top loads. Only very tough bullets should be used, such as the stout Sierra 300 JSP or the Hornady XTP Mag bullets. Regular .45 LC bullets will only be suitable for varmints as most are quite soft. Of course, you don't have to load to maximum levels...

wwb

Hunter
TX Nimrod said:
Any load data for revolvers will be safe in your Ruger, worked up to as usual of course. The use of the slower powders like H110 and AA1680 should high velocities in the longer barrel.....

Good advice... get your load data from any of the assortment of manuals out there. Fast powder for a revolver load, slow powder for a rifle load. 2400 is another relatively slow powder.

I had a couple No.1 rebarreled in revolver cartridges (445 Super Magnum and 500 S&W). The biggest problem I had was sight regulation, but that was before Ruger introduced the No.1 in revolver cartridges like the 475 Linebaugh, 44 Mag, and later the 460 S&W. AA1680 is a great powder that meters well and burns cleanly. If you have problems with sight regulation, try the Barnes bullets that are long, light, and tough. Partitioned bullets will also ensure it holds together for hunting. Also, look in your load books for data for the rifle section for your cartridge since it should list bullets that are designed to give good terminal ballistics at higher velocities. A good example, if memory serves me, is the 265gr for the 44Mag.