Fair price for a 3 screw 45colt/45 ACP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Values vary greatly, and condition is everything.

A model of this type in new condition, with box and manual, can command $800 or more. With minor wear and no box, $450 to $600 would be typical. Even with heavy wear, they seem to sell for at least $300.

Values drop considerably for any 3-screw model that was sent back to Ruger for their safety conversion, effectively making it like a New Model. This conversion can be reversed, however, with the right parts.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
You're not too far from me and I paid $650 for an unconverted old model 4 5/8 length, 1971 birthday with ruger faux ivory and a little honest wear. I was willing, so was a fair price in my opinion.

Oops, just re-read the OP with awake eyes. Mine's NOT a convertible. straight up colt. all my ACP are 1911s.

contender

Ruger Guru
Considering the 45 cal Blackhawks in 3 screw were only made a few years,, and not all were convertibles,,, they do command a premium from many. They are a desirable gun to own. From 1971-1973 Ruger made approximately 23031 of the entire production. Not all of these were convertible. Add in the variations within the models,, and rarity can go up.
Out of 23031 mfged,, figure there are 2 barrel lengths. If we safely decide that the numbers can be halved just by barrel length, that leaves a bit over 11500 of each. (I know that this number isn't correct, we are just averaging things.) Add in the convertible feature, you can figure about 1/3rd of each barrel length is possible. So, figure maybe 4000 APPROXIMATELY of the convertibles were built. This is a subjective number,,, but you can see the numbers are shrinking.
Add in the other variables such as the brass grip frames,,, the different grip medallion types etc & certain variations can command a much bigger demand.
All that said,, according the the RENE guide, a good condition convertible OM 45 will be approximately $940 for a short barreled gun, and $845 for a long barreled one.
Condition will make a difference.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Boats,

First is the gun a BKH44X (4 5/8") or BKH45X (7 1/2")?
Is the ACP cylinder marked with last 3 digits of serial #?

This caliber is the least produced Old Model Blackhawk with approx. 23,000 total produced with convertibles making up approx. 9,500 guns. Of these, only approx.
(3,6??) were the BKH44Xs.

Add to the these numbers the popularity of the .45 Colt with many wanting to buy and few wanting to sell the value increases. I think muzzleloader's #s are closer to what you may find than KWYJIBO's.

You buying or selling?

SATCOM
oops, I am a slow typer and really only repeated contender's post.

boatswainsmate

Bearcat
It appears to have a 7 1/2 barrel. Don't know about the ACP cylinder markings. I was looking at buying the firearm but the person is out town and I can't get further details. Thanks

cadillo

Blackhawk
contender said:
Considering the 45 cal Blackhawks in 3 screw were only made a few years,, and not all were convertibles,,, they do command a premium from many. They are a desirable gun to own. From 1971-1973 Ruger made approximately 23031 of the entire production. Not all of these were convertible. Add in the variations within the models,, and rarity can go up.
Out of 23031 mfged,, figure there are 2 barrel lengths. If we safely decide that the numbers can be halved just by barrel length, that leaves a bit over 11500 of each. (I know that this number isn't correct, we are just averaging things.) Add in the convertible feature, you can figure about 1/3rd of each barrel length is possible. So, figure maybe 4000 APPROXIMATELY of the convertibles were built. This is a subjective number,,, but you can see the numbers are shrinking.
Add in the other variables such as the brass grip frames,,, the different grip medallion types etc & certain variations can command a much bigger demand.
All that said,, according the the RENE guide, a good condition convertible OM 45 will be approximately $940 for a short barreled gun, and $845 for a long barreled one.
Condition will make a difference.

Interesting set of production numbers, which make my non-convertible all the more interesting to me at least. I recently acquired one in trade, which is to be a work in progress once I decide whom to send it to for some professional intervention and TLC.

The previous owner had placed it in a pistol rug that contained a bit of moisture at the muzzle end. The muzzle and crown were severely pitted, which essentially ruined the first 3/4" of the 7 1/2" barrel. Except for this significant defect, the rest of the gun, including the other 6 3/4" of the bore and barrel, looks brand spanking new. Once I decide whom to have do the work, I'll have the barrel cut to either 6" or 4 5/8", recrowned, and a patridge sight affixed.

I also got from the same guy a like new Old Model 6.5" .41 Magnum. I traded a Sig P229 DAO that I never used since I transitioned the wife from it to a 3" S*W Model 60 adjustable sight model, which she shoots a lot better than the Sig. Two big bore Three Screws for one P229. I'm happy! Once I get that .45 barrel sorted out, I'll be really happy!

contender

Ruger Guru
Satcom has posted a production number of 9500 as production total of both barrel lengths of the convertibles. I had it at about 8000,,, as a quick guess.
As he noted,,, this model is a very low production quantity,, and add in the variations,,, makes them more desirable.
One thing not mentioned is the fact that many guns get "modifications" (such as the proposed ones by cadillo,) as well as many get separated from their original spare cylinders. Add in the lost, stolen, destroyed bunch,, and rarity factor increases. Heck, I have bought spare OM 45 ACP cylinders myself.
Matching numbers helps a sale when I buy a 45 convertible.

All in all, there are several factors involved when pricing one of these guns!

:roll: good points above and very subjective as to what is the gun you may see or get a chance to buy,,,,as noted condition IS everything, as well as the fact there just are NOT a whole lot of NICE old model 3 screw 45 convertibles,let alone with any box, paperwork, and NOT "converted" ( safety update) heck the parts alone alone for any one is well over $400 !!! (original lockwork, grips and BOTH cylinders, think about it)
add short barrel versus long barrel and again, big price difference.............good luck in your search,nice guns and great to shoot so you really cannot go too far wrong,,,,shop the "deal", there are some out there from time to time.................(as well as being in the right place at the right time, I recall Bob C's son Rob getting a DEAL on one, both cylinders at the gun runner auction where not many folks ever seem to bid on Rugers???? He paid under $500 but then you must add on any and all the fees,SOOOOOOOO......

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,,, I'll stir the pot a bit more with things to consider. Many of us LIKE these OM 45 convertibles. I happen to own 7 of them,,, that letter. Folks like me keeping them (and enjoying them,) puts less & less of them out available for sale!

DGW1949

Hunter
To put some of the production numbers into perspective;
I'm going on 65 years old, have been around guns most of my life, been to so many shooting ranges that I've lost count, worked two diffeferent gun shows in the Houston/Conroe area for 12 years, and have yet to see a .45 Cal, 4-5/8", OM-BH Convertable. I know that they were made 'cause I've seen the photos...but, a real one in the flesh?....nope.

DGW

Chance

Buckeye
I would buy every OM 45 (convertible or non) I could find for $650.00 or under. We just don't see many of them in my neighborhood.

boatswainsmate

Bearcat
I guess I should have kept my big mouth shut with the questions I asked! The person emailed me back saying he was reposting after he did some research on the firearm :(

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Chance said:
I would buy every OM 45 (convertible or non) I could find for $650.00 or under. We just don't see many of them in my neighborhood.
Alot of them are going to Alaska! ;)

deserttrans

Buckeye
These are hard to find in near new condition. I traded into this short convertible and value it at the RENE price.

Latest posts