Magnum primers in 45 colt?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
OK guys, the only primers available around here were CCI, 350, magnum primers. I am only planning to load lighter loads, but how much should I reduce the powder to account for the magnum primers? Loading 255 swc and unique powder. thx triker

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Never having done this before, if I was trying this, I'd start at the lowest recommended load and work up perhaps two tenths of a grain at a time until I was satisfied. IMO this would allow you to retain the largest margin of safety.

Rclark

Hunter
Seems like I just answered this question on another forum :) . Unique is primer independent from my tests. I ran these tests on several powders over a chronograph because of the past (now present again) primer shortage. So normally I use standard with Unique, but if I have to use Magnums, or WLP, or .... I just use what is available.

Note the primer used has nothing to do with 'magnums'. Primers go with the powder you are using. For example H110 requires a Magnum primer. 4227 also for consistent burn. Other powders like Unique don't care, while others you can get significant pressure differences when you swap standard for magnum. Still one may work better than the other (lower ES for example) even though no real velocity difference (like I found with Trail Boss) .... Just say'n! Again with Unique, use what you can find. You'll be fine.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I would just do a small adjustment & move forward. I'd expect minimal differences. Is the gun to be used a Ruger also? If so another factor in your favor.

triker

Single-Sixer
Sourdough, yes it is a Ruger. Lipsey SS, convertible, which is the medium frame, can't do the hot loads. I am more concerned with any pressure spikes with the magnum primers than I am any fps results. triker

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
triker, you can always call the mfg and ask them. In the past when I have called a powder company or someone who puts out a reloading manual they have all been very helpful.

Lee Martin

Hunter
I use CCI 350's in all of my reduced Green Dot and Unique loads. I've never had a problem with that combination. The difference between standard and magnum isn't nearly as pronounced as you may think.

63November

Single-Sixer
Remember, Winchester large pistol primers are one "heat": WLP are suitable for both magnum and standard loads, and anything that can ignite their W296 has to have some "stuff" to it. I don't sweat the use of magnums in standard loads.

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
Rclark said:
Seems like I just answered this question on another forum :) . Unique is primer independent from my tests. I ran these tests on several powders over a chronograph because of the past (now present again) primer shortage. So normally I use standard with Unique, but if I have to use Magnums, or WLP, or .... I just use what is available.

Note the primer used has nothing to do with 'magnums'. Primers go with the powder you are using. For example H110 requires a Magnum primer. 4227 also for consistent burn. Other powders like Unique don't care, while others you can get significant pressure differences when you swap standard for magnum. Still one may work better than the other (lower ES for example) even though no real velocity difference (like I found with Trail Boss) .... Just say'n! Again with Unique, use what you can find. You'll be fine.

Could you share your full list again? Or share what results you had with HP-38/W-231? And which gave lower ES with Trail Boss? Thanks.

COR

Blackhawk
Unique with magnum primers works just fine. I've used Unique and 2400 since I started at 12 and many times used whatever primer was available with my meager resources...

If you really care about the minutia (so you can sound smart on the internet) look up the term "Brisance", it is how primers and other explosive charges are measured against one another.

I'll add one thing to this, I've only had one misfire in my pistol loading and it was with a CCI primer and a firearm that had an action job, I was told later that CCI cups are "harder"...I have no way of verifying this but figured it was worth noting.

bottom line...It'll work just fine.

I keep my head from hurting and just use the Winchester "standard/magnum" primers....keep it simple...