Well, I opened deer season

This Area is for Discussions on Handgun, Shotgun, or Rifle hunting stories, tips, and whatever else applies.

Moderator: Moderators

A.J.
Blackhawk

Re: Well, I opened deer season

Post by A.J. »

My neighbor (retired DNR officer) checked out my deer blind and recommended I relocate about 100 meters to the West. Just built a new one this afternoon at the site he recommended. (That way if I get skunked, I can blame him!). :)

I plan on going out tomorrow or Monday.

In other news... He inspected the Indian burial mound on my property. He knew all about it from the previous owner but had never actually seen it. According to my neighbor, an archeologist checked it out years ago and said it was a product of an ancient pandemic.

Indians suffered huge casualties in the dead of winter. The ground was frozen, so they simply stacked the bodies along with as many logs as they could find. In the Spring as things started to thaw, they burned the bodies in a huge fire.

Once the fire was out, they piled the bones and covered them with a dirt mound. It still stands today.
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

Nice history there. May the Native souls guide you to a bounty of treasured meat for your family.
Shoot straight and safe!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
US Army Huey crewchief 1976-1979
Friends of the NRA committee & chairman
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA "When it mattered!"
A.J.
Blackhawk

Post by A.J. »

contender wrote:Nice history there. May the Native souls guide you to a bounty of treasured meat for your family.
The "native souls" had a front row seat of me getting skunked once again trying to deer hunt. :) No deer today. I'll keep trying.
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

Well,,, their Spirits may be watching to see if you are worthy of taking such a fine animal.

PS; Whenever I take a deer,, my first thing I do when I lay hands on,, is to thank my Cherokee Spirits,, for the blessing of the deer. (I'm part Cherokee.)
Shoot straight and safe!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
A.J.
Blackhawk

Post by A.J. »

contender wrote:Well,,, their Spirits may be watching to see if you are worthy of taking such a fine animal.

PS; Whenever I take a deer,, my first thing I do when I lay hands on,, is to thank my Cherokee Spirits,, for the blessing of the deer. (I'm part Cherokee.)
Well, I certainly hope I'm in the good graces of the Indian spirits. My wife and I are committed to preserving the burial mound forever. If I don't get a deer this year, I'll blame it on my size 13 feet and general lack of stealth. If I do get a deer, I'll credit dumb luck and divine intervention.
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

If you are protecting the burial mound,, I'm sure the Spirits are watching. Patience will be rewarded.
Shoot straight and safe!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
A.J.
Blackhawk

Post by A.J. »

contender wrote:If you are protecting the burial mound,, I'm sure the Spirits are watching. Patience will be rewarded.
If your ancient ancestors are watching me, please let them know I don't want their help deer hunting. I just want them to rest in peace. I will preserve and guard their burial site and want nothing in return.

I moved my trail camera to another location. Will probably go out tomorrow around dusk.
Gator89
Buckeye

Post by Gator89 »

I broke the seal on my season Friday evening. I used my red pad, tang safety M77 .270 to take a nice 180 pound 8 point pine goat. These deer are well fed as they can browse all summer and fall on corn, cotton, peanuts and soybeans.

The rut is cranking up so I hope to get another buck in the next week or so.
A.J.
Blackhawk

Post by A.J. »

Gator89 wrote:I broke the seal on my season Friday evening. I used my red pad, tang safety M77 .270 to take a nice 180 pound 8 point pine goat. These deer are well fed as they can browse all summer and fall on corn, cotton, peanuts and soybeans.

The rut is cranking up so I hope to get another buck in the next week or so.
Congratulations!

I'm gonna cool my jets for a while and take up deer hunting during Michigan's "late season" which runs the last two weeks of December. In the meantime I'm watching the deer camera. Looks like all that's left on my property is a couple small does that always travel together. I think neighbors on either side of me got the big doe and 8 point buck I was watching.

No biggie. There are more deer in Michigan.
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

" I think neighbors on either side of me got the big doe and 8 point buck I was watching."

Don't be so sure. They may surprise you!
Shoot straight and safe!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
A.J.
Blackhawk

Post by A.J. »

contender wrote:" I think neighbors on either side of me got the big doe and 8 point buck I was watching."

Don't be so sure. They may surprise you!
I'm not giving up. Late antlerless deer season runs from 13 December to 1 January. I'll be there. I will only take a "good" shot. Easy, quick, humane kill.
Gator89
Buckeye

Post by Gator89 »

Added a nice, fat doe to the freezer Sunday.

Next opportunity will be a few days in LA around Christmas hunting deer with hounds.
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

Kudos!

It used to be killing does was frowned upon by old timers & such,, but due to good education & game management,, it's accepted more often today. And as we say around here,, "Meat is meat,, and ya can't eat horns!"
Shoot straight and safe!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Gator89
Buckeye

Post by Gator89 »

contender wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:26 am Kudos!

It used to be killing does was frowned upon by old timers & such,, but due to good education & game management,, it's accepted more often today. And as we say around here,, "Meat is meat,, and ya can't eat horns!"

The farmer we lease from requested we shoot some does this year. He was late getting his corn harvested and the deer took full advantage of the opportunity.

GA furnishes ten, yes 10, doe tags per license. They manage how they tags are used by number of "doe days" in each county. Some counties in the mountains have only 2-3 doe days on private land. The county I hunt in allows doe harvest every day of the season. :mrgreen:
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

I hear you.
We have a similar method of harvesting does in NC. We get a total of (6) deer tags. (2) are "antlered", (2) are "anterless," and (2) are "hunters choice. Then,, depending on the part of the state you are in,, (zone) determines when you can use certain tags. Some places,, does are only allowed to be taken on ONE day of a 3 week season with a firearm. Other areas,, 2 weeks of doe days in a 6 week firearm season, and other places,, all season and a longer firearm season.
Throw in archery & muzzleloading allowances & seasons,, it can be confusing.
But,, once you study a bit,, stay in whatever county you need to to harvest which type you are allowed,, no problems.

So far,, one antlered & one doe for me this year.
Shoot straight and safe!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter