MO deer season is approaching

Help Support Ruger Forum:

With all the distractions/confusion going on around here, it's been difficult to get in the mood for deer season. The building crew is supposed to arrive this morning so even more distractions over the next week or so.
Older Grandson has moved back to the local area and says he's going hunting this year. He got a buck 6 years ago but then had no more opportunities due to a family move(military Dad). Maybe he'll get back in the game. He's planning to visit mid-week to shoot the Ruger Grendel carbine a bit more before season opens. Guess we'll see how that goes.
MDC has upped the 'allowance' for antlerless deer harvest to 4 per county per hunter in my area. This is a positive move and allows us to get a handle on overall deer population--I hope. Our grain truck driver asked one day "How many deer do you raise down here?" I answered "One hundred eleven". His response "That sounds about right"(and may not be far off the mark). During this drought year, we had 40 acres of brushy pasture that was not grazed due to storm damage to fences. This is/was the only area not grazed into the ground in the immediate area becoming the deer magnet bedding area.
Last year, we supported the "Share the Harvest" program heavily. This year I expect even more so. We own land in 2 counties so it's possible to obtain 8 antlerless tags each. Now, I doubt Grouch Attack is going to put in that much stand time (she's a 'go out 1/2 hour before dusk' hunter) but I plan to remove my max number to help manage deer crop damages.

contender

Ruger Guru
I kinda know how you feel. I've had so much going on,, that my time dedicated to hunting stuff has been limited. Heck,, I've usually spent 3-4 days of bear season out with the guys normally by this time,, but haven't been able to get away to do that.
Our muzzleloading season starts this Saturday. Our archery season started 6 weeks ago. I haven't been able to even get a break to try & use the crossbow or compound this year.

But I will be planning on a lot more time in the woods in the upcoming weeks. Gonna take the smokepole out & make sure it still shoots straight, I(if I do my part.) :D

And I'll be double checking my handguns for the upcoming firearms season. Our gun season begins on November 18th. My biggest decision is trying to get a deer with my .357 Maximum,, while using the Bradshaw/Martin bullet. I'm planning on adding the new grip frame to the gun,,, and the new rear sight.
(See my post about Christmas in October.)
I can swap out the rear sight easily,, but the fitting of the g/f, followed by making a set of grips might be a hard thing to get done in time. My Contender should be just fine,, and I've already confirmed my El Dorado in .45 Colt for hunting.
This thing called work interferes with the good stuff for sure!

Latest posts