Well, I opened deer season

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
Dave P. said:
A.J. said:
I have never hunted deer in my life but am considering taking the plunge. I live on large acreage that hasn't been hunted since around 1952. The place is thick with deer. Wife is pushing it pretty hard. She's allergic to pork and beef, but venison is good-to-go.

I'm in Mid Michigan and if firearm hunting was legal in our township I could just open
a window and shoot one.
Bought a crossbow last year and went out and sat in a brush pile a few times and
got one. Couple of weeks ago went out in the field maybe 200 yards
from our house and got an 8 point on a Saturday evening. Took about an hour
before he walked by.
If it wasn't for the mosquitoes it would almost be like going to the
grocery store.

Congratulations on your 8 point!

I plan on throwing together a little deer blind alongside one of the main deer trails. I'm gonna pick up a license this weekend. I have never deer hunted, never butchered anything larger than a small mouth bass, bluegill or a chicken. Utube will be my friend.

I plan on using a shotgun with a smooth bore slug barrel. I would like to use a nice .308 bolt action deer rifle, but the market is pretty much dried up. If I can't get a close shot with a 12 gauge slug, I won't take the shot.

Highest priorities will be:
- safety
- compliance with the law
- humane and quick killing of the deer
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
contender said:
Well, jump right in.

If I can offer any advice,, let me know.

I'm sure you don't remember, but we spoke many years ago about constructing a varmit-proof chicken coop. Your advice was very helpful. I had a different username back then, left the forum, then came back.
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
I got my first ever deer license today. That's 20 bucks well spent.

Spent about 2 hours constructing an elaborate deer blind out of dead logs and brush. I'm convinced that deer hunting is just an excuse for 57 year old guys to go out in the woods and build forts!
 

contender

Ruger Guru
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
21,466
Location
Lake Lure NC USA
:D

If you plan on hunting the blind,, watch the weather,, ESPECIALLY the wind. Only hunt it when the wind is in your favor.

I was out all day yesterday,, and no deer were willing to temp their fate.
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
contender said:
:D

If you plan on hunting the blind,, watch the weather,, ESPECIALLY the wind. Only hunt it when the wind is in your favor.

I was out all day yesterday,, and no deer were willing to temp their fate.

I will take your advice. I will monitor the wind direction. My blinds are set up 360 degrees. I'll be using a 12 gauge slug. My farthest shot will be 50 meters and that's what I zeroed my barrel for. Ideally, I'd like to get in under 25. I'm actually well within my state's rifle zone but don't own a suitable deer rifle, don't want to borrow one and like the safety factor a shotgun provides.

I built a second deer blind. This one is located in a flat, densely wooded area adjacent an old Indian burial mound. The first one I built is on a wooded bluff overlooking a trout stream. Even if I don't get a deer, the scenery will be very pleasant.

Opening day is tomorrow. Neighbor said he'd show me how to field dress if I get one. I only have one kill tag, so I plan on being fussy. My priority is a big doe primarily for the meat.

Based on all the gunfire out in the woods today, it seems some folks are getting a jump on the season.
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
I hunted deer for the very first time on Monday and then again today (Wednesday). In total, I spent about 7 hours in the woods and didn't even see a deer.

I kinda liked it. Very peaceful. It reminded me of my cat fishing trips where I wouldn't even get a bite but still had a good time.

When I walked out my front door this morning there were deer tracks ALL OVER THE FRONT YARD! LOL!
 

contender

Ruger Guru
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
21,466
Location
Lake Lure NC USA
Ahh,, the first lesson of deer hunting,, patience! :D :D

Seriously,, patience is required,, and you seem to have figured out the true treasure of hunting,, enjoying the outdoors. I also spend a lot of time in the woods,, and in blinds. I take a book or magazine to read,, (my blinds are in a manner to where they can't see my reading material.)
It helps pass the time,, and I've developed a pattern. I read a paragraph or two,, stop, scan, and see what's around.

Also,, a good quality pair of binoculars is VERY helpful,, especially in brushy areas,, or where it can be harder to see deer. Next,, look for PARTS of a deer in the brush. Don't always expect to see the whole deer out in plain view.

About a week ago,, I'd stopped to scan,, caught a spot that didn't look right. Then it moved a little. A buck,, size unknown, was in the brush,, and all I could glimpse of was part of the white patch under his chin. As I was getting the binos up for a detailed look, he turned & slipped away,, & all I got was a few quick glimpses of him. Still VERY enjoyable. And then today,, as I was driving up a busy interstate,, a little after 3 pm,, a nice 8-pt buck was strolling along a fence line not 50 yds from the interstate. Cruising for girlfriends for sure.
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
contender said:
Ahh,, the first lesson of deer hunting,, patience! :D :D

Seriously,, patience is required,, and you seem to have figured out the true treasure of hunting,, enjoying the outdoors. I also spend a lot of time in the woods,, and in blinds. I take a book or magazine to read,, (my blinds are in a manner to where they can't see my reading material.)
It helps pass the time,, and I've developed a pattern. I read a paragraph or two,, stop, scan, and see what's around.

Also,, a good quality pair of binoculars is VERY helpful,, especially in brushy areas,, or where it can be harder to see deer. Next,, look for PARTS of a deer in the brush. Don't always expect to see the whole deer out in plain view.

About a week ago,, I'd stopped to scan,, caught a spot that didn't look right. Then it moved a little. A buck,, size unknown, was in the brush,, and all I could glimpse of was part of the white patch under his chin. As I was getting the binos up for a detailed look, he turned & slipped away,, & all I got was a few quick glimpses of him. Still VERY enjoyable. And then today,, as I was driving up a busy interstate,, a little after 3 pm,, a nice 8-pt buck was strolling along a fence line not 50 yds from the interstate. Cruising for girlfriends for sure.

Yep. No deer yet, but plenty of funny errors on my part:

Went out to instal a few reflectors on my blind so I'd be able to find it at O dark thirty. As I'm in the blind (no gun, no hunter orange, no tag) a big 8 point leisurely walks by at a distance of 10 to 15 meters.

Woke up very early this morning to get in the blind well before daybreak. A buck sneaks up behind me. When I turn to look, he spooks and bolts.

My neighbor (retired DNR officer) looked over my situation and suggested I move my blind a bit.
 

contender

Ruger Guru
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
21,466
Location
Lake Lure NC USA
"Went out to instal a few reflectors on my blind so I'd be able to find it at O dark thirty. As I'm in the blind (no gun, no hunter orange, no tag) a big 8 point leisurely walks by at a distance of 10 to 15 meters."

NEVER fails! :D :D

No matter what I'm doing,,, anywhere I can legally hunt,, I have my correct hunting tool available,, because stranger things have happened.

Just this past Wednesday,, we were driving up the interstate,, between jobs. And casually walking up the fence line,, not 100 yds from a busy 4-lane,, a nice 8-pt was casually walking. They can do some funny stuff sometimes.
 
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
1,726
Have noticed on my game cams that the deer around here seem to be moving
mostly at night right now. Seeing much less daytime activity over the last month
or so. Seems to go in streaks, never "plotted" it by date or season but very
noticeable.
Dave
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
My neighbor (retired DNR officer) checked out my deer blind and recommended I relocate about 100 meters to the West. Just built a new one this afternoon at the site he recommended. (That way if I get skunked, I can blame him!). :)

I plan on going out tomorrow or Monday.

In other news... He inspected the Indian burial mound on my property. He knew all about it from the previous owner but had never actually seen it. According to my neighbor, an archeologist checked it out years ago and said it was a product of an ancient pandemic.

Indians suffered huge casualties in the dead of winter. The ground was frozen, so they simply stacked the bodies along with as many logs as they could find. In the Spring as things started to thaw, they burned the bodies in a huge fire.

Once the fire was out, they piled the bones and covered them with a dirt mound. It still stands today.
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
contender said:
Nice history there. May the Native souls guide you to a bounty of treasured meat for your family.

The "native souls" had a front row seat of me getting skunked once again trying to deer hunt. :) No deer today. I'll keep trying.
 

contender

Ruger Guru
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
21,466
Location
Lake Lure NC USA
Well,,, their Spirits may be watching to see if you are worthy of taking such a fine animal.

PS; Whenever I take a deer,, my first thing I do when I lay hands on,, is to thank my Cherokee Spirits,, for the blessing of the deer. (I'm part Cherokee.)
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
contender said:
Well,,, their Spirits may be watching to see if you are worthy of taking such a fine animal.

PS; Whenever I take a deer,, my first thing I do when I lay hands on,, is to thank my Cherokee Spirits,, for the blessing of the deer. (I'm part Cherokee.)

Well, I certainly hope I'm in the good graces of the Indian spirits. My wife and I are committed to preserving the burial mound forever. If I don't get a deer this year, I'll blame it on my size 13 feet and general lack of stealth. If I do get a deer, I'll credit dumb luck and divine intervention.
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
contender said:
If you are protecting the burial mound,, I'm sure the Spirits are watching. Patience will be rewarded.

If your ancient ancestors are watching me, please let them know I don't want their help deer hunting. I just want them to rest in peace. I will preserve and guard their burial site and want nothing in return.

I moved my trail camera to another location. Will probably go out tomorrow around dusk.
 

Gator89

Blackhawk
Joined
May 28, 2017
Messages
974
Location
Nut Bush City Limits
I broke the seal on my season Friday evening. I used my red pad, tang safety M77 .270 to take a nice 180 pound 8 point pine goat. These deer are well fed as they can browse all summer and fall on corn, cotton, peanuts and soybeans.

The rut is cranking up so I hope to get another buck in the next week or so.
 

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 25, 2017
Messages
481
Location
Michigan
Gator89 said:
I broke the seal on my season Friday evening. I used my red pad, tang safety M77 .270 to take a nice 180 pound 8 point pine goat. These deer are well fed as they can browse all summer and fall on corn, cotton, peanuts and soybeans.

The rut is cranking up so I hope to get another buck in the next week or so.

Congratulations!

I'm gonna cool my jets for a while and take up deer hunting during Michigan's "late season" which runs the last two weeks of December. In the meantime I'm watching the deer camera. Looks like all that's left on my property is a couple small does that always travel together. I think neighbors on either side of me got the big doe and 8 point buck I was watching.

No biggie. There are more deer in Michigan.
 

contender

Ruger Guru
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
21,466
Location
Lake Lure NC USA
" I think neighbors on either side of me got the big doe and 8 point buck I was watching."

Don't be so sure. They may surprise you!
 

Latest posts

Top