What are the problems with the P-series ? I don't see any

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Meeko

Single-Sixer
What I have observed to be the biggest problem with the P95's when we used them for a minute as an Agency gun was when you have a full line of shooters (of varying physical sizes) with them several shooters both right and left hand have issues dropping mags. What happens is with their grip bumps the mag release, being that the mag release you push forward instead on in the knuckle of their strong hand is the culprit. If it was their own firearm and they shot it more or carried it everyday then that would probably get rectified. It wasn't an epidemic but it did happen quite frequently. For some reason (and I suspect due to the larger size) we never had that problem with the P89's.Or the Beretta's but the Beretta's have the traditional push in button mag release. The P95's have been shelved for other reasons and we went back to the Beretta for the time being.

For the most part hey do run and run though.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I bought a P-90 back about 91 or so. It is a very nice pistol. Dependable and fairly accurate. The trouble is I am a 1911 fan also and that is what I have always carried. Still have the P-90 and, given they have the same sight radius, I was thinking of shooting it next to my SR1911CMD. Sort of a same day same ammo deal. Although, thinking about it the P-90 is a few ounces lighter so may wait till I get one of the new LW Ruger Commander size 1911s.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
Busterswoodshop said:
I have a P85 that I bought when they first came out.
I have never had a problem with it and you could not carry all the bullets I have shot through it.
AMEN! also two P95's over the years and my son still owns the P89 I bought for him 20 years ago. none of them has ever missed a beat. my old P85 to date has never malfunctioned under any circumstances.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
pjvrefugee said:
Busterswoodshop said:
I have a P85 that I bought when they first came out.
I have never had a problem with it and you could not carry all the bullets I have shot through it.
AMEN! also two P95's over the years and my son still owns the P89 I bought for him 20 years ago. none of them has ever missed a beat. my old P85 to date has never malfunctioned under any circumstances.
As reliable as the sunrise...

Rei40c

Blackhawk
As a newer shooter I regret missing the P series very much now. I was too young to own one at the time. I particularly like the P89dc. Ruger would definitely have my $450 (or whatever) if they reintroduced them because I'd really like to own that gun. But from what I read here there seems to be about zero possibility of that. I know it's probably silly but I don't like to buy used guns. I like knowing absolutely everything about the history of my firearms from day one (because it was mine.) I don't even particularly like not knowing what happened to the gun from leaving the factory to the store much less another owner. :lol: It's a quirk of mine.

It just seems like a great idea if you use the example of what they did with the Mini-14. The reintroduced it with tighter tolerances and overall better build quality.

welder

Buckeye
There's a SS P89DC NIB old stock on Gunbroker now. If it was a safety model I'd try to win it. The seller is good, I just bought a complete P94 NIB old stock from him two weeks ago. Took me about 30 minutes to clean the dried Ruger factory grease off and underneath was a beautiful SSP94.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465483258

Rei40c

Blackhawk
welder said:
There's a SS P89DC NIB old stock on Gunbroker now. If it was a safety model I'd try to win it. The seller is good, I just bought a complete P94 NIB old stock from him two weeks ago. Took me about 30 minutes to clean the dried Ruger factory grease off and underneath was a beautiful SSP94.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465483258

Wow, you know I never even thought to search for a NIB gun of that age because I assumed it would be hopeless. Heading to GB now to have a look. Thanks for the heads up. As for the grease I hear ya, but it would in a way be reassuring in a way also to know the guns condition matched up with the story of it's history. I don't know how commonly people lie about the NIB tag on gunbroker. I haven't been around it to know if that's even a real problem or not. Maybe it's not common at all, still sometimes I've wondered.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Aye Welder, take a look at that link you posted then look at the pics near the muzzle and rear slide. Is that rust or grease? It couldn't be rust could it? Does that look like something that would clean off to you?

welder

Buckeye
It looks like the grease mine had. I wish I had taken a before/after pic of mine. There was a good amount of brown dried grease on it from being stored so long. I used Hoppes and EZZoff and it came right off. The slide was actually stiff and dry but no rust at all on mine,

He was easy to deal with and you could ask him about it to be absolutely positive but it looks just like mine before cleaning.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
welder said:
It looks like the grease mine had. I wish I had taken a before/after pic of mine. There was a good amount of brown dried grease on it from being stored so long. I used Hoppes and EZZoff and it came right off. The slide was actually stiff and dry but no rust at all on mine,

He was easy to deal with and you could ask him about it to be absolutely positive but it looks just like mine before cleaning.

I don't think it's possible it could be rust even with it's age now that I think about it. Thx again probably going to dive in. I'll be honest though if it goes above 440-$450 I'm out. It's cool but not that cool. 8)

If Ruger ever introduced a new P-series metal line-up, I would be all over it. I wouldn't even mind a higher price for better accuracy, better reliability, and nicer fit and finish.

I enjoy shooting nice revolvers, Rugers are in this list. Why should their semi-auto experience be less? Most of their pistols can't make my cut.

Just a thought, Ruger...

Rei40c

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
If Ruger ever introduced a new P-series metal line-up, I would be all over it. I wouldn't even mind a higher price for better accuracy, better reliability, and nicer fit and finish.

I enjoy shooting nice revolvers, Rugers are in this list. Why should their semi-auto experience be less? Most of their pistols can't make my cut.

Just a thought, Ruger...

That was exactly my thought as well. A refined version, maybe in the $450-550 ish max range I'd be a buyer. I have to give some account in price to the fact much more steel was or would be used used in these pistols then the polymer versions, if it's a true successor.

I wouldn't even mind a 550-650 range if the quality exists. Manufacture units with default night-sights and short reset triggers. Use nice machining on the slides. Premium versions, target versions, basic versions.

I see Ruger putting nice fit and finish in their other products and getting the premium they deserve for them. Why not their pistols?...

Ok look. Ruger builds some of the best ARs on the market, and starting to learn how to build 1911s, they are doing well here. But make a good pistol line-up. Maybe offer a mid range quality pump action shotgun to sink Remington/Marlington

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Rei40c said:
That was exactly my thought as well. A refined version, maybe in the $450-550 ish max range I'd be a buyer. I have to give some account in price to the fact much more steel was or would be used used in these pistols then the polymer versions, if it's a true successor.
You are never going to see a good quality all-metal domestic maker gun in that price range again. Decent polymer guns cost that and more these days. Also, it wouldn't have "more steel" if it were a continuation of the P-series. Their frames were all aluminum.

Koyote

Bearcat
I have a KP345 and have not had one single problem with it. Not that I would have bought another as I think this one will not only outlast me, but my son as well, after I am gone. They have been discontinued for striker versions.

dachshund

Bearcat
I had 2 P95s, great guns. I also had a brand new 1970 Plymouth Road Runner, great car!!! Time marches on, enjoy the memories and move on...

dachshund

Bearcat
Don't know if it's still running, traded it in on something newer, and that's what I did with my P95s. P 95 turned into an SR9. Sometimes it's time to upgrade...

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Real problems?
Sometimes slightly less accurate, sometimes a little chubby. All past complaints, sometimes in the eye of the beholder.

Great guns, imo. Got a few or dozens myself. Working mans semi. Spruce them up, play with them, tinker, shoot the heck out of them, have fun. :)

Latest posts