What are the problems with the P-series ? I don't see any

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
I have owned almost all of the P series guns at one time or the other over the years, and still own a P89 and P95. They have been 100% reliable, every one I ever owned, from the day I fist shot them till now. Blows my mind when people say they are "chuncky", when, to my hand anyway, they are less chuncky than a Glock or a HK! IMHO, they where the #1 best value in a defensive handgun when they where on the market.

Al James

Hunter
welder said:
Nice! Looks just like my 9mm version. I'd have to wonder about anyone's taste in guns who found the P94 lacking or unappealing.

And Al,
Very good post. I fully agree with all you said and I feel better. Why? Well like you I neither drink or have a tattoo. I don't even have a single ear ring. I do eat meat and drive a couple American pick ups. (save it guys, no foreign or domestic content debate from me). And best of all, I like P series guns from Ruger, especially hose that came to life when Bill was in the front office.

I forgot to throw in I don't have any earrings either. Probably because my grandfather used to tell me growing up that: "Only queers wear earrings and if I see one in your ear I will rip it out" and.....I believed him. :lol:

spcasas3

Bearcat
I have a P95 and I love it, never had a trouble with it, shoots as well as I'm able for sure. I do know from my experiences with it, if you're in the habit of limp wristing she won't like it. Went shooting with a friend he favors his 1911's and had no experience with the Rugers, after a couple failures to eject he was done with it said he didn't care for it, I picked it up and shot through the whole mag without a single hiccup....I laughed and told him to hold it like a man!! He tried a few more rounds and liked it better. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

P.S. as far as the weight goes I've always said if I run out of ammo and the bad guys still moving I've still got a pretty effective club to start swinging! LOL

Scott

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I like the P-guns and would recommend them to anyone. Ruger really fumbled by not updating the P-gun in some ways. I sold my P95 because I can shoot my Glock 26 just as well and it's way easier to carry. Infinitely more aftermarket goodies too.

welder

Buckeye
spcasas3 said:
I have a P95 and I love it, never had a trouble with it, shoots as well as I'm able for sure. I do know from my experiences with it, if you're in the habit of limp wristing she won't like it. Went shooting with a friend he favors his 1911's and had no experience with the Rugers, after a couple failures to eject he was done with it said he didn't care for it, I picked it up and shot through the whole mag without a single hiccup....I laughed and told him to hold it like a man!! He tried a few more rounds and liked it better. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

P.S. as far as the weight goes I've always said if I run out of ammo and the bad guys still moving I've still got a pretty effective club to start swinging! LOL

Scott

Welcome to the forum Scott.

They do make good clubs should it come to that! Kinda why I keep that ole P89 in the truck. I've not ever had my P95 fail but I shoot it like the G19 which can be susceptible to limp wristing.

Ferguson To35,
I agree. There was plenty of life left in the P guns and I believe they could have easily benefited by updating. They are still selling well on the used gun market. I've been a day late on three the last three weeks. Currently working on another P90 if the deal holds up.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Great gun. Never had any issues. Solid and reliable feeling...imparts confidence that it won't fail. A bit of a PITA to take down to clean, but no complaints otherwise.

Joe Survival

Bearcat
I own 3 Ruger P95 pistols and have many thousands of rounds through 2 of them. The 3rd one is still in new unfired condition. I even daily carry one in an IWB Foxx hybrid holster. Sometimes I carry them in a leather OWB Bianchi Shadow 2 holster or a US Military Bianchi UM84 shoulder holster. They sometimes fail to pickup the next round from the magazine when I use some of my light handloaded ammo that occasionally doesn't push back the slide with enough authority, but with hotter handloads or factory ammo they do fine. Handgun reloading powder is still hard to find so I was just trying to conserve what I have by using less than I needed for 100% reliability.

2ywsg1g.jpg

welder

Buckeye
Good looking group there Joe. I've loaded some pretty light 9mm for plinking and training for a couple new shooters but it ran fine in the P95 and G19. Probably somewhere in the middle to lower pressure range.

I have a new unfired P95 stuck back too. I wish I had a couple more.

Joe Survival

Bearcat
welder said:
Good looking group there Joe. I've loaded some pretty light 9mm for plinking and training for a couple new shooters but it ran fine in the P95 and G19. Probably somewhere in the middle to lower pressure range.

I have a new unfired P95 stuck back too. I wish I had a couple more.

Middle to lower powder charge works fine. It's just when I load 5% below the starting load do I have problems and it's only in colder weather. In the hot summer they run fine with 5% reduced charges.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Oh wow, I see a rare late model stainless decocker in that bunch. One big turn off I had about the P95 was that it felt like a large full size pistol trying to be compact. If I'm going to have a pistol that big I want at least a 4.5, preferably 5, inch barrel. The grip is big and chunky and the gun is as wide as an aircraft carrier. That's ok with adjustable sights and a longer slide and barrel but not with the 3.9" tube of the P95. It reminded me of those big old N-frame S&W Highway Patrolmans with the stumpy sub-4" barrel.

roylt

Hunter
I doubt that Joe has a decocker. The right side tells you nothing if safe or decock only. The right side uses the same lever if safe or decock.

So Joe, is it all three safe or is the one a decock?

I'm a P-nut too but like the decock guns. I do have one safe 89 just because it was a cheap fixer and the fact I wanted a safe model just for my humble collection. I also have 85 models which are safe. Just recently found the 85 DID come as decock only but have only seen that one unit and it was being sold by Ruger at auction. Way out of my price range. Did save copies of the pictures though....

toysoldier

Hunter
For what it's worth, I'll add my praises. My first centerfire pistol was a Brasilian S&W 1917, purchased from Century Arms. Just about no finish, had to replace the virtually destroyed grips, but a butter-smooth double action and light, crisp single action trigger. Much later, I purchased a like-new KP-90DC from a co-worker.

The double-action pull is just about as nice as the broken-in S&W, and the single-action trigger also comes close. Accuracy is better than I can make use of. Haven't shot it a lot, but never had a bobble. Its DC action is essentially identical to the revolver. It's big, but I didn't buy it for concealed carry. I figure its size might make it a little more intimidating in an antisocial encounter. I have a Bagmaster Model CH MP holster for open carry, and a Don Hume JIT SLIDE No. 37M for tucking it under a jacket. I've acquired a total of 10 magazines for it, as well as reloading dies and components, an extra (safety) slide assembly, and spare parts.

I don't see a need for another .45 pistol.

welder

Buckeye
I have other .45 pistols, 1911's, and I do have one revolver, a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible. But if I had only the P90 I'd feel adequately supplied in the .45 class.
I use a Bianchi 105 and a Galco Yaqqi belt slide for the P89 and the P90. I've only carried them outside on a belt and under a coat. All my P series are the safety model but I would add a DC model if the right one came along.

Joe Survival

Bearcat
roylt said:
So Joe, is it all three safe or is the one a decock?

Nah, they're all the same safety/decocker models. I'll probably convert the one I carry to a decocker only model when I find a complete parts kit on gunbroker. Once in a while they show up. I think the only parts you need are the slide, recoil spring assembly, ejector and the trigger bar to make the conversion to decocker only. I would also like to find a PC9, 45 ACP P97 and 2 of the later P94 versions in 9mm and 40 S&W on gunbroker too.

FYI, The one I carry has the red and green crayon colored grip accents. I bought each one brand new for $326

2ywsg1g.jpg

toysoldier

Hunter
Joe Survival said:
I'll probably convert the one I carry to a decocker only model when I find a complete parts kit on gunbroker. Once in a while they show up. I think the only parts you need are the slide, recoil spring assembly, ejector and the trigger bar to make the conversion to decocker only.

I can convert my P-90DC to a safety model by swapping the entire barrel/slide assembly from a "parts kit". There are slight differences in the guide rod/recoil spring, so I just leave them as complete assemblies. No problem with function.

roylt

Hunter
"Nah, they're all the same safety/decocker models. I'll probably convert the one I carry to a decocker only model when I find a complete parts kit on gunbroker. Once in a while they show up. I think the only parts you need are the slide, recoil spring assembly, ejector and the trigger bar to make the conversion to decocker only."

I took a old DC and a newer safe and swapped the slides etc. Took a bit more doing but got it worked out. If you are just using doner parts it may be easier but I do recall I had to take the trigger and trigger bar to make it work right. The reach was off a bit and the trigger hit the frame before allowing the hammer to drop. I have a post on here some place with more details.

"I would also like to find a PC9, 45 ACP P97 97s only came in DC and 45 cal. and 2 of the later P94 versions in 9mm and 40 S&W on gunbroker too."Later" 94s only came in 40 cal. If you mean with the camblock barrel setup. Very limited in DC only but most in safe.

FYI, The one I carry has the red and green crayon colored grip accents. I bought each one brand new for $326

2ywsg1g.jpg
[/quote]

Joe Survival

Bearcat
roylt said:
I took a old DC and a newer safe and swapped the slides etc. Took a bit more doing but got it worked out. If you are just using doner parts it may be easier but I do recall I had to take the trigger and trigger bar to make it work right. The reach was off a bit and the trigger hit the frame before allowing the hammer to drop. I have a post on here some place with more details.
[/color]

From what I read you also have to change the ejector because the cut out in the DC slide is different. Either way I'll figure it out after I get the complete parts kit. I wont mind if there's extra parts in the kit that I don't need. I'll just save them in case something ever breaks.

Yeah, it's the later camblock P94 ones I would like to find. Maybe one of each in DC only and one in safety/decocker.

I know all the P97 are DC only. The main reason why I like the P94, P95 and P97 is because they'll all use the same holsters.

I've owned several examples of P89, the issue I had with them ALL was lack of accuracy. However my P97 shot great and a buddy of mine owned a P90 that shot like a Sig.

Been considering another .45 lately...