Security 380 ammo problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brianlb

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Security 380, and I've been to the range 2 times shooting it, both times I had problems with my ammo feeding the gun from the magazine's, apparently it's the Fiocchi 380 auto FMJ 95 gr ammo they have a indentation on the case down from the bullet, so I think that the problem with the jamming, so FYI if buying ammo, all others so far no problems.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
2 things...

1) you got pics of that indentation..???

2) are you using an maglula uploader to load that ammo into the magazine..??

regarding #2....i have found that sometimes, the maglula will actually put a dent into the brass casing...might be due to over pressing down on the last round, to get the next one in...

or....

thinner walled brass ammo...

i had nearly that same issue, small dent in the brass.......

As mentioned on a previous thread, I've had no real problems with my one box of Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ:

1709040053561.png

(Edit to add photo of cartridges)

1709041189473.png

Not sure if I'll buy any more of it, but that's because my reloads seem to shoot closer to point-of-aim (& better groups).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

Last edited:
I read somewhere (will try to locate it) that Ruger does not recommend Fiocchi ammo for use in security 380.
In any event you are not the first person I have seen with problems with that ammo in the security 380.

I ran a search on "Ruger 380 Fiocchi" and found a thread on the other Ruger forum - some folks claim the Fiocchi (and S&B) .380 case rims are thicker than those from other manufacturers, and may hang up between the extractor and breech face on some firearms.

So I pulled out my calipers, the factory ammo I have, and a bunch of range brass, and attempted to get some measurements (some of the case rims have beveled or rounded edges, so measuring thickness consistently was difficult). FWIW, below are rim thicknesses based on 3-4 measurements per brand.

NEW FACTORY AMMO
Fiocchi (GFL) 0.040"-0.044"
Blazer 0.043"-0.045"
Remington (R-P) 0.042"-0.043"

RANGE BRASS
GFL 0.046"-0.047"
•Federal• 0.040"-0.043"
X-treme 0.040"-0.042"
S&B 0.041"-0.042"
A-USA 0.041"-0.047"
CBC 0.041"-0.044"
New Rep 0.042"-0.047"
PMC 0.039"-0.042"
R-P 0.041"-0.043"
Win 0.040"-0.042"

With the small sample sizes involved, I'm not sure how much weight you should give those results, but it does appear that some batches of Fiocchi, Armscor and New Republic .380 cases might have thicker than average rims, which reportedly may cause issues with some handguns. And just because the cases I measured from other manufacturers were thinner, does NOT imply that all cases produced by those manufacturers are thinner. I would guess that performance might depend on your specific firearm, and the specific box of ammo you're using.

(Edit - One reference I checked shows .380 rim thickness as 0.045", and 9mm Luger rim thickness as 0.050". However, the Security-380 and the Security-9 apparently use the same extractor, Item Number 64203 on the Ruger web site.)

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
this from the Ruger factory owners manual.

The RUGER® SECURITY-380® pistols are chambered for the 380 AUTOcartridge. Do not attempt to load any other cartridges into the magazine or chamber of the pistol.

The RUGER® SECURITY-380® pistol is compatible with standard factory ammunition loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including hollow-point loads loaded in brass or aluminum cases.

No 380 AUTO ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in this pistol.

Note on the SECURITY-380® pistol:

Do not use "+P" ammunition.

AMMUNITION (CARTRIDGES) NOTICE WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OR INJURY WHATSOEVER OCCURRING IN CONNECTION WITH, OR AS A RESULT OF, THE USE IN RUGER® FIREARMS OF FAULTY, OR NONSTANDARD, OR "RE-MANUFACTURED", OR HAND-LOADED(RELOADED) AMMUNITION, OR OF CARTRIDGES OTHER THAN THOSE FOR WHICH THE FIREARM WAS ORIGINALLY CHAMBERED.

hittman

Staff member
Whoa! What's the foreign owners manual thingy you speak of? :ROFLMAO:

Thought those were just filler for the shipping boxes …..

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
Whoa! What's the foreign owners manual thingy you speak of? :ROFLMAO:

Thought those were just filler for the shipping boxes …..
i cannot help myself...in my youth, i turned wrenches and went pretty much by "the book" for the car owners, and explained "the book" to them as well.

i really DO read the owners manuals of my vehicles, and guns, and yes, even my Dillon and Lee..........

as only 1 example, many 1911 owners use grease on the slide rails....where as "in the book" of the Dan Wesson Gods, grease is furbotten.

yet, Sig says to use grease...!!!!

i did once try to assemble a tricycle for my son when he was tiny, however, i thought being a wrencher, i could do it quicker...

well.....i did......only it ended up being a unicycle.....

so............i read "the book", then when the Mrs bakes me brownies, and interrupts my progress, i blame the Mrs, if i screw up..........

rjracinginc

Bearcat
Just purchased the Security 380 on Sunday night for the girlfriend. They didn't have any ammo, so I stopped at Rural King this afternoon and was able to purchase Aguila 380 Auto ammunition.

Loaded 10 in each mag, went out to the backyard to the range and immediately had a FTF. Since then, have had at least 20 FTF and have only put 20 rounds down range.

Seems like some are polishing the feed ramp, any videos to watch?

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
Limp wristing could be the issue, but I have to say, clean/oil the magazines inside. My young son was having FTF, I thought he was limp wristing, but it did it to me too. I realized that the magazines were too dry inside, probably not allowing the follower to slide smoothly. I lubed it an cleaned the magazine body inside. Once I dried it leaving a thin lube layer, the gun shot perfectly.

Six Ring

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Security 380, and I've been to the range 2 times shooting it, both times I had problems with my ammo feeding the gun from the magazine's, apparently it's the Fiocchi 380 auto FMJ 95 gr ammo they have a indentation on the case down from the bullet, so I think that the problem with the jamming, so FYI if buying ammo, all others so far no problems.
A number of responders in various forums, articles and videos have indicated that the Security 380 has feed issues with Fiocchi 380 FMJ 95 gr ammo. Some people have suggested that it is an OAL problem.

Latest posts