What are the problems with the P-series ? I don't see any

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OK. I couldn't take it anymore... I broke down and traded into a new (to me) .45

Here it is:

Slide to frame fit is outstanding. Very tight. No wobble/wiggle. Single owner gun and I can tell he hasn't shot it much. Barely any barrel wear and no frame wear. It is the all stainless version including 2 mags. These P220ST pistols are reported to be very accurate. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy my new .45...

toshtech

Bearcat
Have a P345. Has been flawless itself but the magazine springs did go after 7 years. I do keep them all fully loaded 24/7 as an empty mag and gun is no more than a paperweight. Have wolf springs in them now. I, personally, love the feel, fit, and accuracy of my P345.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Ruger P Series are among the most reliable pistols. Personally, I have owned several and found them flawless. My P90 would feed and shoot slightly oversize reloads perfectly and is outstanding in it's accuracy. I can't imagine a valid complaint unless the complainer didn't like the slide mounted controls. The P guns are now obsolete, as Ruger doesn't have parts for all repairs. The SR replacements are cheaper to make and lighter which appeals to the carry market. I think that Ruger just made a business decision, which they must do to survive. Consider yourself lucky to have a P-gun and enjoy this blast from the recent past! :)

welder said:
Just thought of the greatest problem with the P series, they aren't made any longer. :?

Ditto!

I own 3 P95s and two P89s and they are all decock models.... the only problem with this is I will never buy a semi-auto with a safety on it.... on a double action/single action semi-auto pistol there is no reason to have a safety.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
welder said:
Just thought of the greatest problem with the P series, they aren't made any longer. :?

Ditto!

I own 3 P95s and two P89s and they are all decock models.... the only problem with this is I will never buy a semi-auto with a safety on it.... on a double action/single action semi-auto pistol there is no reason to have a safety.
Roger That! Since you like the de-cocker models, you would like the Sig pistol line too. Ruger P decocker only pistols offer a suitable substitution for the mucho more expensivo Sig Sauer P pistols. The Ruger P family may even be more trouble free. Shame they had to discontinue.

However, striker guns like the SR9c are well served by the thumb safety, which is a superb thumb safety design possibly taken from the CZ82.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I think Ruger could've had a runaway hit during the mag ban years by creating a 10 round 9mm pistol that was flat and easily concealed, designed from the get go to use a full capacity 10 round mag rather than a previously hi-cap gun that had a limited capacity mag or a chopped grip and slide. I bet such a gun would be quite popular today among those stuck in commie states.

chuckbri

Bearcat
tercel89 said:
I have messed with P-series pistols since I was 21 in 1994 and I have never seen them have any problems. I recently got back into them and it's like having an old friend back. So I have been surfing the internet and I see lots of people "downing" them and saying they are junk and this and that and just lots of negativity.

A lot of that out there, in internet gunforumland. Poke an Internet Glock fanboy, and you'll likely be treated to an unhinged rant about the Springfield XD.

But for you members out there , what problems if any , do the P-series pistols have ?

Ergonomics aren't as nice as they could be. For the size of a given gun, guns these days have higher capacities than the old P-series guns.

That's about it.

welder

Buckeye
I just sent a message to Ruger begging for them to bring back the P series. I wondered if I would get a response and thought what the heck? I'll post if they reply.

I don't really expect much of a reply beyond a canned answer but just thought it would be fun. No, I don't expect them to bring them back but one can hope.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
With the SR series being lighter and better suited to the carry crowd, Ruger Corporate is working on survival in a diminished and a shrinking market. Perhaps a single model in 9mm(greatest market appeal) will surface at a later time. Interesting that Sig & Beretta are continuing to sell their DA/SA pistols.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I am going to be anal-retentive, then generous in my praise of the P-97.
The only problem that seemed to be there, was the slide release pin. It did not have a retention collar and it could be pushed partlty
out, unintentionally. That did not inspire confidence, but I did not have any real trouble with it.
Now for the praise, it was the softest shooting .45 that I have owned; and in some ways, I prefer it to my Colt MkIV.
It was darn sure lighter than my Colt, and dropped into my front pocket nicely.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I own seven P95s and two P94s with both 9mm and .40 uppers for them. I did own two P97s but I wanted to consolidate calibers so I got rid of .45 due to ammo cost and lower capacity.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Owned ALOT of handguns since 1981,....down to 8 now.
Semi-auto's down to 3.....All Rugers.......AND WILL NEVER SELL!

Two are Center fire . RUGER P-SERIES.

------------------------------------
First is a first generation P95.
-----------------------------------
So basic in design,yet so trusted.
Fires every time the trigger is pulled,yet field accurate.....or a tadd more.
Accuracy with most ammo,not an issue at 25+ yards.
Fire past that defending yerself.......will be an interesting convo with the cops!

15/16 accurate shots to defend yourself ,without a gun jam....... total faith in this gun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My second...and favorite.......
Is my P91.

Think a .40 caliber version of the P90 (.45acp version).

Timing was everything on this purchase...
As after research on the P91, I bought one of the few "NEW" P91's still out there...after they quit making them.

One of my best gun purchases ever.
This "OLD SCHOOL" RUGER......Was built for my hands.

This is where Glocks come into the mix.
I watched Glocks from day one.
Thought then and still think a great gun......SOOOO WANTED ONE!

Tried every version, ...no Glock fit right in my hand.

The first time put my P95 in my hand...Great fit!
But the day,I put the P91 in my hand.....PERFECT FIT!------LIKE BUILT FOR MY HAND!!!!!!

Both P-series guns fire every time AFTER I learned to spend a few bucks more to buy FACTORY MAG.S....
Dropped a couple hundred bucks to learn that lesson.....
I own ALOT of crappy magazines that are ok to use at the range.....ONLY!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Safe bet,
I AM A FAN OF THE P-SERIES ! :wink:

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
There's nothing wrong with them. But Ruger needed to stay competitive in the market and their products evolved into sleeker, lighter, more accurate, more ergonomic, striker fired offerings. Remember, the design originally evolved as a gov't contract candidate for a new combat pistol where concealed carry is not a typical requirement. With the huge spread of legal conceal carry across the US in the last 20 years, the market demand has shifted to pistols better suited for such use and Ruger just followed that market demand since they failed in getting the gov't contract.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I agree totally, Ruger continued to push the full lineup of P-guns well into the 2000's when buyers' tastes were moving wholesale in another direction. I remember that throughout this time the only ones you ever saw new under the glass were the P95 and occasional P89. Even though Ruger continued to catalog the others they were rarely seen as new retail stock.

KEN TN

Bearcat
I have a P89 and just acquired a P90. They feel much better to me with the Houge grips on them. I updated the P89 to the P95 trigger. I wixh I could find another to add to the P90. The P95 trigger has a better shape and improves the pull in my book.

I have many friends that have bought P series after shooting mine. Yes boring and built like a tank. I never heard anyone call a tank pretty!

For a cheap gun these can't be beat. I'm glad they are not in high demand so that I can by several more at a reasonable price.

Ken

welder

Buckeye
KEN TN said:
For a cheap gun these can't be beat. I'm glad they are not in high demand so that I can by several more at a reasonable price.

Ken

You and me both Ken. I've added two P95's, one P94, two P90's and one P89 in the last three months. The P94 and one of the P90's was unfired and new in box. I don't think you can find a better value in a gun that will last several lifetimes. Besides, I like them and I never have a problem selling or trading them.

Long live the P guns.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
KEN TN said:
I have a P89 and just acquired a P90. They feel much better to me with the Houge grips on them.

Ken
Agreed on the Hogues. I think they make a world of difference.

steenroller

Bearcat
Not a thing wrong with the P-series and I have gone through several of them over the years and still have a P-90 I will not get rid of. I have traded off all but the P-90 just because of my always wanting to try something different. I now own Glocks, a Beretta, CZ75, and 1911s in addition to revolvers, all Ruger, and have traded through several other pistols. I would have no problem relying on a P series and if I see a P-89 for a good price I would pick one up again. I just prefer some of the other pistols now, but that is why there is more than one type.