Three gun competition built. The ultimate combination

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stfm

Bearcat
Three gun built

a little bit about my idea. I'd like to get involved in a three gun league or club. Now here's my dilemma the cost of ammunition in the 45,40,38 calibers is prohibitive. Conservatively to be able to practice, practice, practice,. I estimate a minimum of $200 a week.
So I have decided the practical solution would be to go the 22 route. I would like to build three guns pistol, carbine,shotgun 410.
Tactical weapons included, or off the shelf.
I think it would be interesting to get the views of the forum members on the ultimate 22 combination.

First a complete build of the 22 pistol. Your ideas on components optics everything build the gun in your head.
Second a 22 caliber carbine . Same deal what you think would work the best.
And finally a 410 shotgun, pump , semi automatic.

My starting point I have a Mark lll 22/45 lite and Mark lll target t 22/45 that I will start building. After evaluating all of your opinions. likely I will assemble all three guns after the new year.

So let's have some fun and design the ultimate firearms for this type of competition.

mattsbox99

Hunter
What guns are you planning on running in competition?

If you're shooting a 1911, I'd get a conversion upper to shoot on your lower. If you're shooting an AR, you can get one of the M&P 15-22s. On the shotgun, .410 is not cheap, so you might as well practice with the 12 gauge.

stfm

Bearcat
Thanks mattsbox99
that's a start
I started some research on the M&P 15-22s what would you suggest as far as upgrades.
I'm not running any guns. The idea here is to get input on building the three best guys in 22 caliber and 410
your chance to build your dream gone. Come on guys there has to be more input out there. 124 and no ideas.

stfm

Bearcat
What would you do to the 1911 to make it a competitive 22
any recommended kits
or conversion components

I'm thinking my Ruger mk lll with a disconnect kit and trigger kit.

a 10/ 22 trigger kit. bull barrel . Undecided on optics
the M&P 15-22s that was mentioned above looks interesting.
As for the shotgun I haven't really looked into it. So some input on different manufacturers. That would fit a three gun competition.

Also any input on different pistols/rifles/
that you have used or would love to use

mattsbox99

Hunter
Since you're not currently shooting anything, you can go whichever way you want.

If you want a revolver you can go with a S&W 617, or if you want a 1911/2011, STI makes .22LR versions of both. Tactical Solutions also makes upper assemblies if you already have a 1911. The MKIII is a great gun to build up too.

Most guys are shooting a semi auto shotgun, the FN SLP MKI is a great gun and is pretty much already built up for competition. I run a built up Remington 11-87.

There are many ways to go, you'll just have to pick something and start building. There are a lot of good gunsmiths if you don't want to do the work yourself.

brianenos.com has a lot of good information, several serious competitors post there.

gcpoland

Bearcat
New guy here.
I use a MKIII with a volquartsen complete accurizing kit. Tandemkross mag disconnect bushing and an Ultradot Matchdot II optic. It started life as the Target model. Grips have remained the original wood that fit me nice. The gun right now has more ability than this operator has talent.

Off the shelf I use a S&W M&P15-22. I started with the Performance Center model as it has a 2" longer fluted barrel then the stock models. It comes with a match chamber and trigger. It shoots tighter groups then my Sig 522 which is also a great model. For optics I used a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 150 BDC Rimfire scope. With using the Nikon SpotOn software this rifle is just amazing between 25-125 yards.

Just some ideas for you.