Mark II Competition Barrel Treatment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I've seen several Mark II Competition models with this tape like cover on the slab sides for sale recently. I recall seeing one come through one gun shop where i was working. As i recall, it looked like it was factory looking or at least well done. Is this a factory thing or an after market. I copied this photo from a listing on Guns International as an example.
Just curious.
Thanks
Bfly

Attachments

• RUGER-MARK-II-TARGET_102436831_83959_DD4630FC484F7F10.jpeg
    RUGER-MARK-II-TARGET_102436831_83959_DD4630FC484F7F10.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 143

hittman

Staff member
Never seen that before. Not sure why someone would do it.
Looks like that goofy rough skateboard tape.

eveled

Hawkeye
It does beg for something. It just looks like a blank canvas. I'm not sure grip tape is the answer. Lol.

I'm surprised you don't see more engraved slab sides. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one.

To answer the OP. It definitely didn't come from the factory like that.

Wouldn't the tape get gooey and sticky once the barrel gets hot? I can't see the purpose in this.

It does look like a reflection, but I assume the OP saw it in person, Yes?

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
It was a long time ago, maybe 2005. I recall it being flat black smooth, at least that's my memory. Don't bet big money on it. My thought when I saw it was 'that would be a good idea in the squirrel woods.' At the time, i was missing squirrels with a blue target Mk II. People were worried about shiny stainless steel and plastic stocks in the woods, but not about shiny blued steel or scatching walnut stocks.
BFLY

While we are on the subject of Mark II competition.

Are the Mark II's still the favorite of the Mark series? I'm wondering if they are more accurate than the newer Mark IV competition?

Are the Mark II's still the favorite of the Mark series? I'm wondering if they are more accurate than the newer Mark IV competition?

For ME, the MK II was the pinnacle of development for this series. It's got the features I like, with none of the extra crap.

Standard/MK I- 9 shot capacity, no last-shot bolt hold-open

MK II- fits my needs well. I've got a BUNCH of mags for them, so that kind of cements my choice of the MK II as my favorite.

MK III- lawyered up w/LCI, magazine disconnect, etc. New mag release location might be a plus, but the MK II "heel" style release works just fine for me on target gun.

MK IV is interesting to me, but I think it suffers in the looks department! It's just lost some of the smooth/streamlined look. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist- the MK II disassembly/reassembly drill isn't really that difficult, once you learn it. I'm not averse to the MK IV, and will likely own one, eventually.

I'm glad to see the 10" back in production in the MK IV series, even if it largely killed the outrageous "collector" prices the 10" MK IIs were bringing, for a while. (I've got three of them. -Sigh-… I guess I'll just have to keep them! 🤭)

Anyway, for me the MK II is kind of an "everything I need, nothing I don't" type of firearm. It's the MK series that I've settled on as pretty much ideal, so that's what I've stuck with. Already owning a bunch of spare mags is just icing on the cake!

contender

Ruger Guru
Kevin, I think that experienced MK owners who understand the disassembly/reassembly quirks of them feel the MKII is THE best of all 4 types. The MKIV was designed because so many people have damaged or otherwise screwed up trying to reassemble a MK gun. I've had several brought to me over the years, in parts, to be reassembled by those less inclined.
I also feel the MKII is the "KISS" method of design for most of us who DO know how to reassemble them, or actually understand how to read the manual on reassembly.

Latest posts