AT THE GUN SHOP- used 10/22 Takedown value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm at the gun shop.

Used 10/22 stainless Takedown for $200.

Rifle and one mag. No takedown case.

Appears to have been shot very little, based on inspection of bolt, inside of receiver, etc.

Slightly grungy on surface of barrel, yellowish haze. Maybe a smoker owned it?

Very light rust on (blued) screw that holds forend on.

Everything else looks good.

$200 seems like a decent value, though I didn't even know I needed one! 😂

Thoughts on price/value? Completed GunBroker auctions suggest it's a fair deal.

The A Team

Bearcat
I don't have any money in the gun budget for the foreseeable future and I would buy it at that price. New is about the same as a base PCC9 ($600+).

I paid $120 over that for a new base model 10/22.

Alright… a little update.

I bought the rifle, including the BX-25 magazine, for $199.

Since then, I've ordered:
-Weaver style base
-1" Burris Q/D rings (Low)
-Skinner aperture sight, designed to stay on the barrel of the Takedown
-case from Skinner sight

I'll have a pretty versatile setup, for scope or irons. I'll mount a smallish Weaver RV-7 rimfire scope that I already have. (2.5-7X x 26mm, IIRC)

Scope may or may not stay as part of the package. Not really needed on a "survival" type rifle, but at the very least it will help me determine whether the zero is shifting when taking down/reassembling the rifle. (Reports I've read online are encouraging.)

Skinner aperture sight on the barrel (uses rear sight dovetail, cantilevered back maybe two inches) will be an experiment. The sales pitch is that mounted on the barrel, breaking the rifle down and reassembling shouldn't affect the "zero." Sight will be farther from my eye than is traditional/ideal for an aperture sight, but I'm going to give it a try, anyway.

The "envelope" style case from Skinner is much more compact than the (missing) original, though it looks like it provides minimal protection. It was kind of an impulse buy, but I was already looking at options. This one looked like a good compromise.

So… if anyone is keeping track, my $200 rifle now looks a lot like a $400 rifle! 🤪

I'll have fun, can use scope base and Q/D rings elsewhere, if I decide they don't "fit" with this package.

Biggest risk is the Skinner sight. It'll be interesting to see how well that functions, in its somewhat unorthodox location.

When I get done fooling around with this whole mess, I'll give an update on my experience. 👍

Hankus

Blackhawk
I've had my eye on a stainless Multicam takedown from 2012 at one of my LGSs, but he's asking $549 with a crappy scope on it, and the barrel isn't threaded. It's been there for a couple months. If it's still there in a month or so I might offer $275-$300.

I bought a used unfired one from a neighbor who is going into assisted living. It came with the Ruger take down bag, 3 bx25 mags and 2 aftermarket 25 rd mags. $275 in July. I did some testing by shooting groups, take rifle apart and put it back together. As I recall 5, 5 shot groups. 25 yd. No change in impact and the barrel adjustment nut never needed tightened. Downside to my receiver mounted scope, it has to be removed to fit in the bag. I can take it off and on, no big deal. I added a KIDD trigger spring and bolt lock, a vortex rimfire scope. I won't be shooting it with open sights. I may get the barrel threaded as I have a rimfire suppressor on order.

Don't know if it looks like a $400 rifle or not. You haven't provided any pictures. 😕

Be patient, Grasshopper! Right now it looks like a lightly used 10/22 Takedown… with an odd yellow-tinged haze on the barrel.
$200 for a Stainless TD is awesome !!!!.....

I figured as much… but I double-checked here, and "Completed" items at GunBroker. 👍

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Slightly grungy on surface of barrel, yellowish haze. Maybe a smoker owned it?
I bought a Single Six revolver in Stainless like that with the yellow haze on the trigger and hammer.....some type of oxidation I am guessing....but definitely doesn't look like rust......I cleaned up with some Hoppe's & Kroil with a toothbrush and and old cotton T-shirt.....( and some very light strokes with a gray scotch pad )...... looks like new now....

Latest posts