Semi-Auto Forum Pistol Match

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yeah, I know Armed, but that gun is BAD A$$ ... I'd make an exception for the SP01 ... anyway, the (little) FSS's and rail primarily don't belong on 1911's and compact guns. I'm OK with them on a BAD A$$ tactical gun, and they don't get any more tactical than the SP01 ... 19 rounds of pinpoint accuracy !!! They are GREAT guns, even though they're just a gussied up 75B. :D

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-sp-01/

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
revhigh":3mcykbar said:
FSS's and rail primarily don't belong on 1911's and compact guns.
REV

Ah. So that Springfield Loaded 9mm you talked about is out? A machinist could erase those FSSs easily.

Was shooting @ 15 yards yesterday. Why is it that @ 10 yds I can shoot 1&1/2" and better groups but @ 15 yds a baseball could barely cover it? :?

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":33xbhzwf said:
Ah. So that Springfield Loaded 9mm you talked about is out? A machinist could erase those FSSs easily.

I know ... that ticks me off to no end. It's something I'll have to live with if I ever find one ... believe me ... if I had the choice ... they wouldn't be there.

Yeah ... 10 yards looks like it's right on top of you if you're used to shooting at 15 yards or 50 feet.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Good Shooting Cheese. I understand Armed I'm not shooting as well as I would like but that just tells me I've got some more work to do. I usually don't shoot past around 12 or 13 yards. 15 is definitely harder.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Thought that I'd take one more crack at this target (this time with my EDC - .45acp Springfield 1911 Micro-Compact - 3" barrel). Got a very nice 2" 6 shot group :D, but unfortunately have to count the two flyers in the 6 ring as well :oops:. Still ... overall ... not too bad for a 3" barrel 1911 at 15 yards :)

SPFLD1911_micro.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
BuckJM53":1gxhv2u8 said:
Got a very nice 2" 6 shot group :D, but unfortunately have to count the two flyers in the 6 ring as well :oops:. Still ... overall ... not too bad for a 3" barrel 1911 at 15 yards :)

Very nice group buck, those damn flyers will kill you every time. I usually shoot 5 shot groups, so 8 was quite new to me. I had a flyer or two on all of my targets as well, except for the 1911 target.

That's why it's so damn hard to shoot the inch or two groups that some claim that they do, (if they do their part) LOL. I know I can't do it, and if I do DO it, it's surely a fluke or a once in a few hundred targets.

As I've said ... I'm not that great of a shot, there are better than me at my gun club, but I can generally hold tennis ball sized 5 shot groups at 50 feet. This is the first time I shot for actual scores. I see you also have to put the orange dot for aiming purposes as well. If I didn't have that I wouldn't be able to shoot anywhere near that. I NEED to see that orange dot sitting on top of my front sight :D.

That's a pretty Springer too, but Dude, ya gotta lose those hideous grips !! :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":k8p1381p said:
I've got a whole list of excuses lined up if I can't get near it. :wink:

You've got a gun that will do it ... so .... JUST DO IT !!!

REV

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
revhigh":tjtlvm57 said:
Very nice group buck, those damn flyers will kill you every time. I usually shoot 5 shot groups, so 8 was quite new to me. I had a flyer or two on all of my targets as well, except for the 1911 target. REV
I generally shoot 5 round groups for centerfire as well. More rounds = greater potential for a flyer (or two) :lol:

... I see you also have to put the orange dot for aiming purposes as well. If I didn't have that I wouldn't be able to shoot anywhere near that. I NEED to see that orange dot sitting on top of my front sight :D. REV
While I didn't do it on the original targets I submited for my P95, P345 & CZ Rami, I thought I would try it on this one (was a bit easier)

That's a pretty Springer too, but Dude, ya gotta lose those hideous grips !! :D REV
There .... Is this better? I carried it with the original cocobolo grips for a couple of years (only switched to the uglies recently). Although ugly .... they are extremely comfortable both on the draw and on the line :wink:

MC_9-1.jpg

Mike J

Hunter
Rev, I have shot both my XD-40 & my P944 enough to know they are capable of shooting good groups at that range. But my last few range trips I have not shot well. I posted the XD target because I felt like I had to-me being the one who started this thing. I didn't post the P944 target cause I gots work to do. The bad thing is I know it is me not the guns. The plus side is shooting at 15 yards makes any errors that much easier to see. I believe I know what I need to work on.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":1twbgzra said:
Rev, I have shot both my XD-40 & my P944 enough to know they are capable of shooting good groups at that range. But my last few range trips I have not shot well. I posted the XD target because I felt like I had to-me being the one who started this thing. I didn't post the P944 target cause I gots work to do. The bad thing is I know it is me not the guns. The plus side is shooting at 15 yards makes any errors that much easier to see. I believe I know what I need to work on.

No big deal Mike ... post em up !

REV

Mike J

Hunter
I wound up with 54 on that one. Like I said I have some work to do. I think I'm gonna try do Jimbo's playing card match rimfire. See if I can get myself back to fundamentals. Then focus on the centerfires some more.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Mike J":2drp6r7j said:
I wound up with 54 on that one. Like I said I have some work to do.
Pretty good shooting Mike :). While we would have all liked to have 8 rounds in the 10 spot, 15 yards off hand is not that easy as even small "off target" movements are significantly amplified.

revhigh

Hawkeye
BuckJM53":1q4e0rt8 said:
15 yards off hand is not that easy as even small "off target" movements are significantly amplified.

Aint that the truth Buck. I know when I shoot, sometimes I have a perfect hold, my breathing is perfect, the orange dot is sitting on top of the front sight like it's welded there ... BANG .... 10 !!! Bang ...10 ! Bang ... 9 ! Bang ... 9 ! Bang ... 6 ! $%&#(@#$ it !!!

I just don't know what happens to wreck a group like that. I can generally (maybe 80% of the time) ALWAYS call a flyer before I even look at the target, but sometimes I think back on a shot and realize that I DIDN'T have the correct sight picture when the gun went off. It is SO hard to maintain that level of concentration when shooting for 5 shots, let alone 8 on the same target. If you can't remember the exact sight picture that you had when the gun went off, chances are the bullet did not go where you hoped it would ....

It takes incredible concentration as well as VERY GOOD EYESIGHT to shoot well consistently. That's part of my problem .... my eyesight is starting to suffer at age 55. When I was younger it was much easier to keep the front sight AND the target in focus, now if I have one in focus the other is blurry. I have to get everything right and then hope it comes out OK ... LOL.

Add to that the absolutely horrendous triggers on most autos, and you have all the ingredients for compromised shooting. At least with a really good trigger like on a 1911, or a revolver in SA mode you have a chance. The trigger is EVERYTHING. Sit in your living room with an UNLOADED gun, put a nickel on the front sight, hold your arm out and sight on something ... now see if you can pull the trigger without having the coin fall off the front sight. Now imagine doing THAT with the trigger on an SR9, and it's easy to see why it's difficult to shoot well with a gun that has a bad trigger. The trigger on my Springfield 1911 is so good, and so light (about 3 pounds with nothing but trigger after the takeup) that you can fire the gun without ANY movement whatsoever, it's also a range only gun because of that trigger ... if you're not used to a really good 1911 trigger, it is really scary. That makes all the difference in good shooting. It's VERY difficult to get a gun that has a better trigger than a 1911 with a good trigger. S&W revolvers, although I don't like the guns much, generally have tremendous SA triggers. My Pythons also have spectacular SA triggers, with the smoothest DA pulls that I've ever experienced.

People talking about shooting small groups was one of the reasons that I created the 'REVHIGH's ONE INCH CHALLENGE' a year or so ago. I got so sick of hearing people write ' My (insert gun of choice) that I just bought will shoot into one inch groups all day long', and other statements like that, that I created a challenge where I would PAY to see that done. Do a search for that sometime, it's good reading, lots of funny stuff there, and I have NEVER been taken up on it ONE TIME. Do people have ANY IDEA how damn near IMPOSSIBLE it is to shoot a ONE INCH GROUP AT ANY DISTANCE ?? THat thread gets resurrected every six months or so. It's a fun re-read if you get a chance to see it.

Here's a link !

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... t=revhighs

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Thanks Buck-I'm all right-I just want to get better. I will keep chipping at it until I get there.
Rev-When I got more interested in handguns a couple of years ago my now ex Bro-in-Law that was a LEO told me to do the coin on the sight dry fire drill. I could not tell you how many times I have dry fired my Ruger with a penny on the front sight. That is an excellent way to learn trigger control.