Semi-Auto Forum Pistol Match

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruger_fan

Bearcat
Went to a new range this morning to hopefully get to post up a target for the competition, shooting the SR9c.

Unfortunately the range lane length was only 10 yards (and it didn't say that on their website). Didn't feel like driving another 30 minutes to go to another range, as I was already there.

But, another 200 rounds of WWB through the SR9c with zero problems, and I was quite happy with the targets at 10 yards with 4-5" groups on several and one with a 3" group when I really concentrated for the last magazines.

Maybe I'll go find another range with 15 yard lanes in the next 2-3 weeks and post up a target.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
revhigh":1w09qwhc said:
If those two flyers had been in with the rest of them, you'd have been right at 74 or higher. Shooting 8 shots is really different for me ... 3 extra shots to make a mistake on !! :D REV
Felt a slight flinch on the low 6 :roll: ... Haven't a clue what happend on the high 6 :? ... mind must have wandered :oops: ... wait a minute, what were we talking about?

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
Well I shot yesterday with my Bersa Thunder and out of 50 shots I only hit the target 3 times lol, I was beyond the pistol's accurate range and it was myself, my father in law shooting and he was getting the same thing, I'll have to get another gun to compete unless we do 25 feet or less then I can get in there :)

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh":ly6e82a4 said:
Cheese, I'm absolutely positive that Armed didn't mean anything derogatory at all, as he said. Not knowing him, you took it the wrong way. Not chastising you at all, just saying that Jeff isn't like that. He's one of the good guys !

This was all in good fun.

Nice target in the orange one by the way !! If I did a group like that at 25 yards, it would be pure luck. I'd save that one too !

REV

I'm sorry Armed if I took it as undue criticism and that was not your intent.
I really don't post targets very often, if they're good ones it might be taken as bragging and if they are bad, you may give the impression that is the best you can do.

That orange 25 yd target was pretty much pure luck, the others I shot weren't that good. I doubt that gun could have shot that target from a rest. :D

I'm one of the most self effacing people around, I guess that doesn't come out all the time.

revhigh

Hawkeye
EricandSuebee":1cnernt8 said:
Well I shot yesterday with my Bersa Thunder and out of 50 shots I only hit the target 3 times lol, I was beyond the pistol's accurate range and it was myself, my father in law shooting and he was getting the same thing, I'll have to get another gun to compete unless we do 25 feet or less then I can get in there :)

It's very unlikely that you were 'beyond the pistol's accurate range if 25 yards or less. It's VERY LIKELY that you are not used to the pistol, and were not maintaining the proper sight picture through the trigger pull. With DA guns like that bersa and the LCP, it's absolutely imperative that you MAINTAIN THE SIGHT PICTURE THROUGH TRIGGER RELEASE. Practice in the living room with an UNLOADED GUN !! sight on something across the room and practice on keeping that exact sight picture through hammer release. Then go back to the range and try it. People who are not used to a small pistol tend to 'pull' shots badly, usually low and left, both from yanking the trigger at the last moment, as well as anticipating recoil.

I absolutely guarantee that that gun can shoot 6-8 inch groups or better at 50 feet or so. It can certainly hit the paper at 25 yards EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Try it again making SURE you maintain the absolute rock solid sight picture through the ENTIRE shot.

You might also practice with a nickel balanced on the front sight. WHen you can pull the trigger without the nickel falling off, head back to the range. If you can't picture exactly what the sight picture was when the gun went BANG, you will NOT hit the target as intended !! :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":2sbrvm2c said:
revhigh":2sbrvm2c said:
Cheese, I'm absolutely positive that Armed didn't mean anything derogatory at all, as he said. Not knowing him, you took it the wrong way. Not chastising you at all, just saying that Jeff isn't like that. He's one of the good guys !

This was all in good fun.

Nice target in the orange one by the way !! If I did a group like that at 25 yards, it would be pure luck. I'd save that one too !

REV

I'm sorry Armed if I took it as undue criticism and that was not your intent.
I really don't post targets very often, if they're good ones it might be taken as bragging and if they are bad, you may give the impression that is the best you can do.

That orange 25 yd target was pretty much pure luck, the others I shot weren't that good. I doubt that gun could have shot that target from a rest. :D

I'm one of the most self effacing people around, I guess that doesn't come out all the time.

No worries Cheese !!

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Cheese the orange 25 yard target is impressive. I know part of why I am interested in the online match & posting targets is I do most of my shooting alone. If I go to the indoor range most of the folks I see there do good to keep everything on a large silhouette target at 7 yards. I am guilty of wanting to see where I stack up. Ya'all being better than me gives me something to shoot for. I would like to get into some kind of competition or join a gun club but I just can't afford it right now.

Eric- Rev is right on about the dry fire practice. It has helped me a lot. I usually remove any ammunition from the room when I do this & triple check to make sure the gun is empty. There is a side benefit also, my P944's trigger smoothed out a lot after a lot of dry firing & shooting. Trigger control is crucial.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
OK fellas, best I can do. 15 yards is a whole different game from 10 yards. I did have a breakthrough in my shooting because of the 15 yard target. With my glasses (bifocals) the black is a total blur or the frontsight is a blob. I had to try something so I took my wife's cheapie readers out and discovered I can see the front sight and the target is fairly sharp as well. :D :D I bought a couple pairs of dollar store readers in different powers to find the one that works best outside (never shoot indoors). I also discovered I can't hold the pistol on target for all 8 shots, get all wobbly. On this target I'd start at low ready, raise up to take the shot then drop to low ready. Had 1 warm-up target (2"black dot) that would have scored a 69 even with a 5 ring flyer :cry:

This was good fun, what's next?

15ydtarget.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nice shooting and nice grips. You didn't like those nice tacky rubber ones ??

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Good Shooting Armed.
ArmedinAZ":tqkv872a said:
I started this one but I'm thinking I'm going to get out of the way & let someone else take a turn. If one of ya'all would like to post up a match or challenge this month that would be fine with me.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
revhigh":3pxv8l4k said:
Nice shooting and nice grips. You didn't like those nice tacky rubber ones ??

REV

The stock grips are fine, I've always liked the feel of a wood grip and these came up in the classifieds on another forum. Maybe I'll use the stock grips or some Hogues for shooting and the pretty wood ones for BBQ carry. :roll:

You guys that compete, what are some other courses of fire that would be easy to shoot/score in this format?

Mike J, what are the final results?

Mike J

Hunter
So the month is over. I went back over the thread & it would appear that-

RevHigh is the winner in our 3 1/2" & up barrel length category with a 74 shot with a .45 ACP Springfield 1911.

BuckJM53 is the winner of the 3 1/2" & down category with a 67 shot with a .45 ACP Springfield 1911 Microcompact.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Mike J":11e9pcpk said:

RevHigh is the winner in our 3 1/2" & up barrel length category with a 74 shot with a .45 ACP Springfield 1911.

BuckJM53 is the winner of the 3 1/2" & down category with a 67 shot with a .45 ACP Springfield 1911 Microcompact.

Must have something to do with the bigger hole.... :wink:

Mike will be getting the SR9 & SR9c prizes to you soon. :lol:

That's some good shootin!

Mike J

Hunter
ArmedinAZ":i0z52sh8 said:
Mike J":i0z52sh8 said:

Must have something to do with the bigger hole.... :wink:

Mike will be getting the SR9 & SR9c prizes to you soon. :lol:

That's some good shootin!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Unfortunately all I can give right now is my respect & admiration. I would like to Thank everyone who participated for making this fun.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Mike J":ml97jduq said:
Good Shooting Armed.
ArmedinAZ":ml97jduq said:
I started this one but I'm thinking I'm going to get out of the way & let someone else take a turn. If one of ya'all would like to post up a match or challenge this month that would be fine with me.
Guys ... Since the Springfields and CZs dominated the May contest, how about a Ruger P Series Challenge for the month of June (after all this is a Ruger forum :lol:). I'll post my idea in a new thread for some feedback.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":3v6rd6ab said:

Just for the record, the CZ75B did just as well as the 1911 'pointwise', but the 1911 outdid it 'groupwise'. I'd rather have the group ... LOL.

Great contest Mike ! Thanks to all who participated .... releasing this one from stickiness since we have a new contest stickified for June !!

Any problems with this being released just let me know !!

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Thanks Rev.

Armed you know they are shooting playing cards in the shooting match subforum. The rules are any make of pistol from 25 yards any make of rifle from 50 if you are looking for something else to play with.