Semi-Auto Forum Pistol Match

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":1ph82tx9 said:
any make of rifle from 50 if you are looking for something else to play with.

I may just have to break out my 17HMR and a few Ace of spades for that one !! That gun will easily do 1/2 inch at 50 yards. And I DO MEAN all day long.

Best group at 100 yards was 5/8 from a $200 production gun. Those Savage 93R17's can shoot.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
I played with it a little last week Rev. I'm going to give it a shot this week. You may laugh but I'm thinking about using a Heritage Rough Rider .22 & a Marlin model 60. Not high dollar guns but the heritage has in the past been known to be deadly to snakes & possums when we had problems.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":6w5x9d98 said:
I played with it a little last week Rev. I'm going to give it a shot this week. You may laugh but I'm thinking about using a Heritage Rough Rider .22 & a Marlin model 60. Not high dollar guns but the heritage has in the past been known to be deadly to snakes & possums when we had problems.

I just read the challenge, and it's freestanding or kneeling. I can't shoot 1/2 inch that way with my 17 hmr :D ... I thought it would be rested.

I have 2 Marlin 60's .... great little autos, and very cheap ... I bought one that was a long barrel, LNIB for $60. Good choice Mike !

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":3p81jg4r said:
I played with it a little last week Rev. I'm going to give it a shot this week. You may laugh but I'm thinking about using a Heritage Rough Rider .22 & a Marlin model 60.

Those Heritage guns aren't bad ... they're kind of rough, and painted, not blued, but the ones I've shot, shot just fine for a SA 22, which I'm not a big fan of anyway. If they work for you, go for it ! Nothing wrong with them at all.

As I said above, good choice on the Marlin 60. A box stock Marlin 60 will outshoot a box stock 10-22 any day, but if you want to customize a 22 auto rifle, the only answer is the 10-22. I researched for about 2 weeks a few years ago when I was deciding between the 60 and the 10/22, read all the rimfire forums for days. Ended up with the 60 because I wanted a very accurate shooter out of the box, and had no intention of modding it, other than a scope. Both my 60's shoot really great. One inch guns or better at 50 yards rested. I've found them to be very ammo sensitive ... they really like CCI MiniMags.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
I actually bought the little heritage just cause I wanted something to run rat shot through. The model 60's I bought one of them in the late 90's it has the longer barrel- was a Wal Mart special-rifle & scope for 95 dollars. I just wanted a squirrel rifle at the time. My other model 60 is a Glenfield version my Dad had with a 18 inch barrel. I guess I'm cheap I tend to look for the value firearms.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":xmj35xfj said:
I actually bought the little heritage just cause I wanted something to run rat shot through. The model 60's I bought one of them in the late 90's it has the longer barrel- was a Wal Mart special-rifle & scope for 95 dollars. I just wanted a squirrel rifle at the time. My other model 60 is a Glenfield version my Dad had with a 18 inch barrel. I guess I'm cheap I tend to look for the value firearms.

I think I paid $129 for my first M60 at Walmart about 6-7 years ago, then I found the long barrel one LNIB at a gunstore for $60 and couldn't resist at that price.

They're great little guns.

alienbogey

Bearcat
I had forgotten about this...

Last month I printed some of the contest targets, shot two in a pouring down rain, thought I'd try it again later, then forgot the about it. I saw the thread today and found the targets in my bag.

Anyway, here they are, shot with an HK P7:

66Target.jpg

70Target.jpg

The 66 is a much better group than the 70.

revhigh

Hawkeye
alienbogey":buhsw1mf said:
The 66 is a much better group than the 70.

That's why I've always said that group size is far more important than scores in a case like this.

I had two targets with the same score, and one group shot from a Springfield 1911 was significantly better than the same score shot from a CZ75.

Groupsize should always rule, IMO.

REV