RUGER VS FREEDOM ARMS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Axehandle

Buckeye
Something like Scott Kolar burl mesquite can brighten up a plain jane field grade FA :D
007.jpg

Axehandle

Buckeye
The stainless octagon Ruger is John Gallagher's work... It is a 500 Linebaugh.. Pretty much every thing that could be done was...

Axehandle

Buckeye
Good question... Last time I went hunting I was in the Air Force... I got out in '74. I keep an up to date license in my pocket but outside of varmints I never have time to hunt. Maybe in the next few years after I retire. Feel lucky to have found the time to shoot a little through the years. 2600 Club, Chief's 50, and Distinguished Pistol Shot badge but even the last of those came back in '95...

Bucks Owin

Hunter
As soon as Ruger builds a 5 shot SBH in .500 WE, I'll stop dreaming of owning a Freedom Arms...

Quality wise, I can't see how even a custom built Ruger can be any more finely built or any more accurate than an out of the box FA...(And that's no slam, I love my Rugers)

This kinda quality comes with a price of course... :wink:

JMHO...

.500 Wyoming Express:

500WEaccuracy.jpg

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
What the Ruger still has over the FA is flexibility - it's much easier to customize a Ruger to fit your needs, esp. ergonomic needs - grip frame and grip swaps, hammer swaps, etc.

To my mind, that really matters. A gun that's tuned to me is always going to be a pleasure to shoot and a confidence builder if everything goes all Quentin Tarantino one fine day...

tek4260

Buckeye
JimMarch1 said:
if everything goes all Quentin Tarantino one fine day...

I'll settle for a ragged ol AK at that point. The ATF will be the least of your worries, so an 870 chopped even with the mag cap will handle close range work.

Sorry to get off topic

Bucks Owin

Hunter
tek4260 said:
The ATF will be the least of your worries, so an 870 chopped even with the mag cap will handle close range work.

Sorry to get off topic

Nah, it'll have to be a M-12 Winnie... 8)

(Though I'd only butcher a ratty looking one, some things are sacred Dr Amputation! :shock: :lol:)

Also OT... :oops:

Axehandle

Buckeye
Picked up my newest custom today.. A Reeder Ultimate Bisley in 475 Linebaugh. Mongolian stag grips, 5 port magna porting... Let's shoot! :D
Pic-1.jpg

Pic-3.jpg

Pic-4.jpg

Axehandle

Buckeye
Barrel to long? Dang! I hate that... 5.5 is the shortest one I've got. The in work 475 is a 7.5 octagon too. How short do I need to go? 4 5/8? 4? 3 1/2?

sc1911cwp

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
sc1911cwp said:
Is it better to just modify the Ruger or buy the FA which has ALL the attributes I want instead of the wait and added expense of modifying the Ruger? I will only shoot 45 Colt but will it harm the FA 83 at all? TNX

If you shoot a lot of .45 Colt cartridges out of a .45 calibre Model 83 you'll eventually encounter "difficult chambering" due to a build up of "crud" in the '83's extended, .454 Casull calibre chambers.

Solution? Purchase a second cylinder chambered for .45 Colt.

I have a couple Model 83's and cherish them dearly.

flatgate

I guess I could always get an FA83 in .454 and just reload it with cartridges that approximate Ruger/FA .45 Colt loads. That gets away from an issue with recoil, messing up a .454 cylinder shooting .45 Colt through it, or having to buy an extra cylinder. :idea:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Axehandle said:
Barrel to long? Dang! I hate that... 5.5 is the shortest one I've got. The in work 475 is a 7.5 octagon too. How short do I need to go? 4 5/8? 4? 3 1/2?

Very nice custom! 8)

And ya gotta cut ol' tek some slack, he has some kinda "amputation fixation" I think... Wanders around at night with a hacksaw I hear! :lol:
Wish I could weld his barrel scraps on my own Blackhawks, turn 'em all into 10 inchers! (I'm into velocity and sight radius...:wink: )

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
Quality wise, I can't see how even a custom built Ruger can be any more finely built or any more accurate than an out of the box FA...
It's very true but accuracy and precision ain't everything. ;)

But then we have to remember Seyfried's gorgeous #13 which shot 1"@100yds!!!

Axehandle

Buckeye
FWIW I have had the opportunity to sit and compare multiple FAs to multiple customs by a few of our favorite gun builders. Best I can tell my best customs are a pretty good match for the FA so far as fit and function. I have heard it said that Hamilton Bowen himself says that his customs will never be what the FA is for the simple reason that they start life as a Ruger and must live with the limitations of what remains of the base Ruger that became the custom.

Axehandle

Buckeye
And so it is... You need to know what Hamilton Bowen had to say about his customs and FA... :D One more bit of information to stick in your head as you make that final decision...

Latest posts