Freedom Arms 44spcl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Today I stopped in at a local gun shop. Their pricing for new and used handguns is on the upper end of the pricing scale. That being said, they had a 1997 production Freedom Arms 97 in 44 Spec. It was brushed stainless, 4 1/4" barrel with ivory grip panels. Appeared to be like new with no handling marks. The action was smooth as butter. A very attractive firearm.

They were asking $2000 for it, which I thought was a very good price. If I weren't downsizing I would buy it. Still might....

What say you guys? Fair price??

Cholo

Staff member
A new one is $2,800 +/- so if it's exactly like you want it... Is it the Premier model with adjustable sights? Keep in mind if you want to move it on other Model 97 calibers will be more desirable, but not to me! :)

I don't believe the old ones are better than the new ones, so that shouldn't play a part in it.

44 Special is my favorite big bore caliber!

Cholo

Staff member
Non fluted cylinder was, IMHO, an undesirable option on a 5 shot revolver. Jeweled hammer and trigger is a deal breaker, and I don't believe a factory option. Ugh...

Edit: Oh my goodness! I meant to say: Fluted cylinder was, IMHO, an undesirable option on a 5 shot revolver.

I had a Model 97 but sold it because it was too small for my hand. I enjoyed several of the larger Model 83 over the years, though. I think it boils down to which one fits your hand the best. The Model 97 only came in Premier Grade. While most had adjustable sights, they could be ordered with fixed sights, too. Plus, the Model 97 could be carried with six shots whereas the five-shot Model 83 should be carried with only four shots (hammer over empty chamber).

Rock185

Bearcat
I suspect that 2K might be in the ball park for a post Covid price. FWIW, I ordered my Model 83 .454/.45ACP in '97. Finest revolver I've ever owned, and I never came to regret my purchase. I don't doubt that the Model 97s are just as nice.

Just had a look at possible options available back then that might have been listed on my factory box end label. Couldn't see any I could decipher as jeweling.

Big 45 - Copy.jpg

skeen

Bearcat
Fair price. The jeweling is likely factory. The end of the box will have the factory options, assuming they have the original box.

If you're not a buyer, PM me the stores info, please. 😁

Last edited:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Personally, that's a lot of money… I would buy a beat-up $500 Ruger and spend the other $1500 getting an action job and other customizations. That's what I'm doing, just waiting for Tyler to start taking jobs again. That's just me though, you do you! Others seem to think that's a good price.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Personally, that's a lot of money… I would buy a beat-up $500 Ruger and spend the other $1500 getting an action job and other customizations. That's what I'm doing, just waiting for Tyler to start taking jobs again. That's just me though, you do you! Others seem to think that's a good price.
That'd be like saying I'll buy a beat up Camaro and spend triple fixing it up over buying the used Porsche in good shape.

Hankus hits the nail on the head for many of us. IMO, FA sets the standard but the only come in two flavors: French Vanilla and New York Vanilla, if you get my analogy. Ruger's come in many flavors and custom work can be adjusted to suit all budgets. I owned as many as six FA until I migrated to custom Rugers.

I went with a Ruger SBH with the 3-3/4" barrel in 44 mag as my 44 Special carry. About half the price, but still nice.
I have a problem with a 5 shooter, but because of no transfer bar should be carried with 4 rounds..
that said, mine maybe heavier.

I am passing on this firearm. Do I need it? No...... My primary use revolvers include:

S&W 5" 629 44 Mag (pre-lock)
S&W 4" 686 357 Mag (pre-lock)
Colt 3" King Cobra 357 Mag (new model)
Ruger 2 1/2" Speed-Six 357 Mag (stainless)
S&W 2" Model nickel 38 Bodyguard 38 Spec
S&W 5" 1917 45 ACP
and a Ruger LCR 22lr

These will do for now.....

Latest posts