Herrits vs Ruger Sile checkered grip’s question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Evening, I understand Grips are a personal hand fit preference.. but between Herrits checkered wood grips and Sile Ruger checkered Target wood grips.. how do they compare in thickness or hand fill..
Overall quality, back strap exposed open ect

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Never used Sile.
My favorite that fits my paw the best are these old Herretts Stocks.
These were very inexpensive gun show finds. Lots more expensive, when you can find them, these days.
N-frame on top, K-frame below.

Smith Herret Stocks 1 resized.jpg

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have no specifics. I like the Herretts I have for my 2 Blackhawks. I did not much like the set of Stile's I had. The wood did not seem "as good". I tend to change grips fairly often between the Herretts and an extended set of grips from Texas Grips. I like the look of the extended grips and the feel of the Herretts. Sorta like which kind of shoe to wear.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Evening, I understand Grips are a personal hand fit preference.. but between Herrits checkered wood grips and Sile Ruger checkered Target wood grips.. how do they compare in thickness or hand fill..
Overall quality, back strap exposed open ect
I like the checkered or smooth open back strap "Shooting Star" wood grips on my Six Series Rugers. The fit is very good. The checkered are more "hand filling" than the smooth which might be better for smaller hands. I've got the checkered Herretts on my Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman also. The wood Sile work well too. Like you said, it's a personal preference and what fits.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
A little off-topic but I lucked into a set of Herrett Shooting Stars for my 3" Python. The Herrett Shooting Aces were the best for my old Charter Armes 44 Bulldog!

I never liked the looks of the Sile and also had Herrett grips on a OM 41 mag BH and a SBH. The SBH ended up getting sanded smooth.

Last edited:

Snake45

Hawkeye
In the parlance Of GM.
Sile = Chevrolet, Herrett's = Cadillac
They both get you where you are going , but,,,,,,,,,
That's not a bad analogy, but a lot of us PREFER Chevies. ;)

Here's a good example, with my Colt Diamondbacks. The top gun has Herrett's. They look good and they feel good.

The two odd sets of grips were bought used at local gun shows. No brand, but I suspect they're Siles and/or Jay Scotts. I didn't care for the shape, but they were cheap and I see potential in them. The grips on the lower gun started out exactly like the odd grips at lower left. I wanted grips that would make the DBK look more like a mini-Python, so I filed and sanded them to the shape now seen on the lower gun, and finished them with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. Now that I know it can be done, I'm gonna similarly work down the other set of them for the 6" gun.

1707958489159.jpeg

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I've got a couple of "no-brand" grips that I have done some fiddling with to make workable to me.
I prefer those old Herretts but my modified "other" work for now.

cwweld

Bearcat
I would love to find a set of Shooting Stars for my 150- Security Six. I have a new in the box set of Jay Scott checkered walnut stocks for it but the Herretts would be a better fit for me.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk

The two odd sets of grips were bought used at local gun shows. No brand, but I suspect they're Siles and/or Jay Scotts.

Yup,,,, never said Chevies were bad . Grew up workin on them . Only bad thing about Chevies was the Quadraflood carbs and distributers you could not reach.

I think the grips you are showing are Mustang Grips. Always bulky, often finger grooved and usually have a brass screw and sometimes very nice wood (but sometimes boring as mud). But they also always have PLENTY of material to make into whatever you want them to be. A great, inletted canvas to work with.

BearBiologist

Buckeye

Here's a good example, with my Colt Diamondbacks. The top gun has Herrett's. They look good and they feel good.

The two odd sets of grips were bought used at local gun shows. No brand, but I suspect they're Siles and/or Jay Scotts. I didn't care for the shape, but they were cheap and I see potential in them. The grips on the lower gun started out exactly like the odd grips at lower left. I wanted grips that would make the DBK look more like a mini-Python, so I filed and sanded them to the shape now seen on the lower gun, and finished them with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. Now that I know it can be done, I'm gonna similarly work down the other set of them for the 6" gun.

View attachment 39886
The top ones are like the ones I have on my Python. I had Jordan's like the center ones on my S & Ws.

I would love to find a set of Shooting Stars for my 150- Security Six. I have a new in the box set of Jay Scott checkered walnut stocks for it but the Herretts would be a better fit for me.
If interested, I'll check my Six series grips box and see what I have. I know I have some Herretts, just not sure if they are for the 150- guns.

cwweld

Bearcat
If interested, I'll check my Six series grips box and see what I have. I know I have some Herretts, just not sure if they are for the 150- guns.
Yes, please look when you have a chance. I had a pair on my first 150 (long and sad story how that one got away for another time).
Thanks !

Snake45

Hawkeye
Yup,,,, never said Chevies were bad . Grew up workin on them . Only bad thing about Chevies was the Quadraflood carbs and distributers you could not reach.

I think the grips you are showing are Mustang Grips. Always bulky, often finger grooved and usually have a brass screw and sometimes very nice wood (but sometimes boring as mud). But they also always have PLENTY of material to make into whatever you want them to be. A great, inletted canvas to work with.
They're not Mustangs. I have a couple sets of Mustangs, and an original 1976 Mustang catalog. They might have been Mustang knockoffs, but they're definitely not Mustangs. ;)

I finally got around to checking. I have one set of Herrets that would fit a low back. They are smooth, not checkered like the Shooting Stars and they are not oversized other than they cover the front and back of the grop frame. All my other Herretts and other after market (oversized/target) grips are for the high back model. I do have a set of Herretts that are for a S&W K frame, round butt. I got these in a "grab bag" of a bunch of Ruger grips at a gun show. I have no use for them because the only S&W I have is a 5906 (which I love). Guess I should put them up for sale.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I do have a set of Herretts that are for a S&W K frame, round butt. I got these in a "grab bag" of a bunch of Ruger grips at a gun show. I have no use for them because the only S&W I have is a 5906 (which I love). Guess I should put them up for sale.
If you do, let me know. I might be interested if the price is right. I kind of collect K roundbutt grips and I don't have those. ;)

cwweld

Bearcat
I finally got around to checking. I have one set of Herrets that would fit a low back. They are smooth, not checkered like the Shooting Stars and they are not oversized other than they cover the front and back of the grop frame. All my other Herretts and other after market (oversized/target) grips are for the high back model. I do have a set of Herretts that are for a S&W K frame, round butt. I got these in a "grab bag" of a bunch of Ruger grips at a gun show. I have no use for them because the only S&W I have is a 5906 (which I love). Guess I should put them up for sale.
I'm very interested in the Herretts for the low back Security Six if still available.

Latest posts