Freedom Arms 44spcl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I have a problem with a 5 shooter, but because of no transfer bar should be carried with 4 rounds..
I believe you're talking about the FA M97. They do have a transfer bar, but FA still recommends carrying with an empty chamber for whatever reason.

"All Model 97's have a transfer bar safety."

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Anything at or under $2k for a FA is a good deal. My FA's are used and will be carried fully loaded on half cock. It's quieter than cocking with the hammer fully down.

Why FA recommends carrying with an empty chamber is a mystery but I "suspect" an attorney suggested that "if" one were dropped on its muzzle, "AND" it were from an unreasonable height, then it's "possible" the inertia firing pin "could" hit the primer with sufficient force to make it go boom? :)

I believe you're talking about the FA M97. They do have a transfer bar, but FA still recommends carrying with an empty chamber for whatever reason.
Probably because they have been sued enough times. I've had several FA's over the years because I like the quality and grip, but they always go down the road. The shop is closed now but in the past the largest gun shop in Anchorage quit carrying FA because of the liability. I wasn't aware that FA put a transfer bar in the 97 but they can't be all that comfortable with it if you still need to carry on an empty chamber.
I know they've been sued for tragic accidents when the guns went off. That includes one of mine, that was the 83.
The major thing about the 97 I didn't like was the short cylinder on them. You couldn't use big bullets. It's been years since I've had one, and probably won't ever happen again.
YMMV, etc.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Personally, that's a lot of money… I would buy a beat-up $500 Ruger and spend the other $1500 getting an action job and other customizations. That's what I'm doing, just waiting for Tyler to start taking jobs again. That's just me though, you do you! Others seem to think that's a good price.
Go handle and shoot a FA mdl 83 or 97...........You'll change your tune quickly.

Okay…..I visited the shop again today looking at some 9mm 1911 Commanders.
I couldn't resist taking another look at the 97.

I got hooked and wound up buying it. $2170 after taxes. It will be a couple of weeks before I take it home because of the state of Washington silly laws. I can wait…
I will post pictures when I receive it.

Rock185

Bearcat
Congrats. I think you'll enjoy it. I admire the custom Rugers done by the top revolver smiths and believe they are things of beauty. But I wonder; are they really of higher quality than a Freedom Arms revolver? I think the Ruger transfer bars are a good safety feature. Certainly being able to specify custom features is great. But is the overall build quality, i.e., durability, barrel alignment, B/C gap, timing, finish, steels used, etc. somehow better than FA? I've owned a number of Ruger single actions since the first Super Blackhawk I bought back when I was a young guy. But since buying the FA, nothing has caused me to regret not buying a $500.00 Ruger instead, and having it customized by Bowen or other top gunsmith......YMMV

jgt

Buckeye
I once was going to purchase a 97 in 44 special. When I tried to order a fixed site model they told me they now only offered the adjustable site one. I had Alan Harton build me a 44 special and I have never regretted it. I can use any bullet I desire and it is like a fine swiss watch. Just as accurate as any of the best. End cost was a little less than I would have paid for the FA. Still have it. It's one of my favorites.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think you'll be pleased with it.

You can take a good Ruger,, send it to a top custom smith, have them set back the barrel & do a line bore, work the action, meld the pieces to where the fit is dern near invisible, cut chambers to very specific dimensions, etc. etc. After 2-3 years wait,, you'd have a gun that will be capable of shooting better than most of us would be able to.
Or, you get a FA,, already built to very tight tolerances, from the ground up, and have the same results.
I own more than my fair share of Rugers. I also own a very good, tight example of a hand built El Dorado. And I have one centerfire FA big bore. The FA's craftsmanship, as well as the El Dorado's,, is stunning. They are quite capable of shooting better than what I can do.
I also have a few Rugers that while not to the standards of those 2 guns,, can outshoot my abilities.
But the FA is well worth the money, and I think you did just fine.

Johnnu2

Hunter
This is a moot point because I own FA's and custom/non-custom Rugers, BUT, I have often wondered if the magnificent tight tolerances of an FA would be a detriment in the wilderness once dirt, rain etc etc etc invaded the gun. Would you still be able to count on it in the absolute worst conditions and filth???? For that reason, I would always carry a stock Ruger IF I were to hunt like I used to. That being said, I would recommend buying an FA as long as I had a good working gun for nasty trips.
IMHO,
J.

Johnnu2 has a point I tend to agree with. I enjoyed my FA83 in IHMSA shooting steel out to 200m (with iron sights), and they reign supreme in revolver class. But I've also had some bind up due to heat and fouling, so while they would be great for hunting, I would not use them for self-defense against dangerous game. I think this is where a Redhawk with 4-5" barrel would be ideal.

jgt

Buckeye
I have a model 83 in 44 magnum. It is the cats meow in strength and accuracy, but I have experienced binding while shooting long sessions. When I hinted I would not be against having the barrel/cylinder gap opened up to eliminate that condition you would not believe the feed back I got. Like I was advocating breaking some law or something. Many do not realize the only thing effected by more cylinder gap is velocity not accuracy. I have other 44 magnums so doubt I'll bother. With my current eye sight being less than it once was, I lean more to a scoped rifle for critical accuracy shots these days.

Onty

Single-Sixer
I have a model 83 in 44 magnum. It is the cats meow in strength and accuracy, but I have experienced binding while shooting long sessions. When I hinted I would not be against having the barrel/cylinder gap opened up to eliminate that condition you would not believe the feed back I got. Like I was advocating breaking some law or something. Many do not realize the only thing effected by more cylinder gap is velocity not accuracy. I have other 44 magnums so doubt I'll bother. With my current eye sight being less than it once was, I lean more to a scoped rifle for critical accuracy shots these days.
I had Bisley 45, 2 cylinders 45 Colt, one original rolled engraving, barrel to cylinder gap about .006", second fluted cylinder, less than .002" gap (couldn't insert .002" shim gauge), and one 45 ACP cylinder.

Anyhow, I was loading 45 Colt brass, with about 20 grains of H4227, bullet was 325 SWC. Fairly stiff load, but Bisley grip was just fantastic. Well, when used original cylinder with .006" gap, everything worked fine. When used fluted cylinder with less than .002" gap, in 50% cases cylinder will be locked with powder bird seed. In that respect, I wouldn't like to have gap less than .004", IMO optimum should be .005"-.006".

Latest posts