Ruger Super Single Six 1969???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mitchsnap

Bearcat
Just picked up this Ruger Super Single Six. Cost me $250.00. Came with 2 cylinders that are numbered to the gun as well as the box being numbered to the gun as well. I would rate the gun at 85%. I also noticed that end label was stuck on versus being imprinted on the box as a Super Six.
S/N being 566980. I beleive it to be from 1969 as per the Ruger website. There was no paperwork with the gun. What would the original manual look like, and what would be the date code on the lower right of the manual? Also would it be feasible to get the box for the extra cylinder??? I have the red sack for the extra cylinder. I noticed that there was no markings on the .22 mag cylinder. Is this normal for this gun from 1969??? Thanks to all who respond and have a great day!!!

2012-07-18_17-52-04_71.jpg

2012-07-18_17-50-46_103.jpg

2012-07-18_17-50-29_338.jpg

2012-07-18_17-52-28_430.jpg

2012-07-18_17-52-51_663.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Great find! The only markings on the Mag cyl would be the matching serial # you mentioned. The lack of the firing pin groove is the only indication of which cyl is which until the mid '70s when they were changed to unfluted and roll marked. In fact your mag cyl looks identical to the new LR cyl because the firing pin groove was removed in the mid '70s.

Don't worry about the stuck on label. It was common when Ruger ran out of the correct box. It would be very interesting to know the original printing on the box. Not that you'd want to sell it but it could be a valuable box for a rarer model.

Advertise for the box and paper on this forum in the classified area.

mitchsnap

Bearcat
Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone have a pic of the correct manual for this gun??? Also a pic of the box for the extra cylinder would be great as well. Were the boxes for cylinders marked in any way to match each gun??? Thanks again..

DGNY

Bearcat
Nice find - and a great price. Can't help with your questions, as my 5.5" sibling to yours [57077x] was more money [$295] w/mag cyl in bag, but no box/dox.

May yours serve you well.

Regards,

Dyson

chet15

Hawkeye
mitchsnap said:

That's a neat box! First time I've seen a Single-Six box with SC5 label over the entire end. One would think they had enough SC5 printed boxes to last since that was a common model, but they must have run out for a time.
The big question would be, what model was your box originally made for? If you have a little lighter fluid (butane), you can put a few drops on the end and the printed end of the box will show through. Will probably end up being RSS5 or RSSM, or maybe a scarce SC6 box printed with .22 WMR caliber. Might even be the opposite of that, a scarce RSSM box with .22 LR caliber (would be curious to know what you find out....please send a P.M.!!).
Chet15

street

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
The spare cylinder brown cardboard box wase not marked by Ruger. However, many dealers hand wrote the gun # on the box in pencil or ink so they wouldn't get mixed up in inventory.

Chances are that this gun came with the off white extra cylinder box with the Red lettering. RENE states that the brown cylinder box was used through at least serial number 535875. This gun has a serial number of 566980

Hondo44

Hawkeye
street said:
Hondo44 said:
The spare cylinder brown cardboard box wase not marked by Ruger. However, many dealers hand wrote the gun # on the box in pencil or ink so they wouldn't get mixed up in inventory.

Chances are that this gun came with the off white extra cylinder box with the Red lettering. RENE states that the brown cylinder box was used through at least serial number 535875. This gun has a serial number of 566980

Very good point! I should have said neither the brown or off white boxes were marked to match the gun, which was his question. And strangely enough two consecutive RSS4s #s 445480 & 481 that one of the advanced collectors pictured on this forum had different mag cyl boxes, one with brown and the other with white.

street

Hunter
[/quote]Very good point! I should have said neither the brown or off white boxes were marked to match the gun, which was his question. And strangely enough two consecutive RSS4s #s 445480 & 481 that one of the advanced collectors pictured on this forum had different mag cyl boxes, one with brown and the other with white.[/quote]

RENE states that for the Single-Sixes Brown extra cylinder boxes are known to have been used through at least s/n 489939. The earliest known white cylinder box was shipped with a RSS5X s/n 484098. RENE doesn't say about the RSS4Xs. And as everyone knows it's was Rugers policy to set aside serial number blocks for different barrel length. So the RSS4Xs would have a different block then the RSS5Xs and be built at the same time. Also Ruger set aside the serial number block for The Super Single-Six starting with 500,000 and at that time the Single-Six convertibles were at the early 400,000 range. That is why it is next to impossible to state just when at a certain serial number, a change is made.

Reasons:
Ruger doesn't build their guns serial number "1" on up. Serial number 1000 may be built ans shipped before serial no. "1"
Ruger sets aside different serial number blocks for different barrel lengths.
Ruger uses a different serial number block for the Single-Sixes and Super Single-Sixes.