Ruger super redhawk toklat 454 cal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My lgs had this ruger in the shop this morning. It felt very sweet. But I only bought this new Smith for $295 out the door. Oh well, maybe next time.
20240130_081828.jpg
20240130_084825.jpg

gnappi

Single-Sixer
They are homely looking, but they for sure balance and feel better in the hand than the longer barreled SRH.

I'd eat cornflakes for two months to get that .454

larry8

Single-Sixer
I had bought a SD9 many years ago and I couldn't get any accuracy better than 10" at 25yards. Found out that the slide was loose and not a tight fit to the frame plus it had side to side movement. (a real sloppy fitting slide). The shop gunsmith couldn't do anything with it so I returned it to the gun shop and got my money back for use on a revolver.

I'll definitely report on it. (It may be a minute)

I used to own a SRH in 454 with the 7.5 in barrel and a Leopold scope. Harvested a couple of deer and a grouse with it, never did get to take an elk with it. Had to part with it when a I had "life challenge" and had to sell a bunch of guns. (Including my sequential vaqueros)

I have shot the Alaskan, but I want a little more barrel than that so I could option to hunt with it. I tend to load it like a 45colt++ (or a 44mag+). Full load casulls are a bit much, unless packing it in bear country. I also have a Rossi92 in the .454.

BTW, I'm new to this forum. Hi all!

I used to own a SRH in 454 with the 7.5 in barrel and a Leopold scope. Harvested a couple of deer and a grouse with it, never did get to take an elk with it. Had to part with it when a I had "life challenge" and had to sell a bunch of guns. (Including my sequential vaqueros)
I was actually in that shop yesterday and bought a new gun. He said he was shipping it to you. His name is Adam and he one of the nicer gun shop dealers. And welcome to the forum by the way.

Last edited:
I ran across an SD9 2.0 this week, and was able to pick it up. $299.99. Trigger is much improved over the SD9VE. It's a winner!
Bear in mind it's not a target pistol, it's a personal defense gun and a good one at that.

I haven't been out to shoot this one, getting more snow and I'm getting older and wimpier, plus my shoulder surgery is scheduled for March 11, and I don't need to fall again. I've been watching YouTube reviews on the gun, bottom line is many of them have no business doing any gun reviews, but some can shoot adequately enough and the trigger is good enough that a shooter will find it more than adequately enough to keep them in a descent group.

I still have the previous model and the trigger is an improvement. As I've said before, the index trigger is trainable and if you spend some time shooting either gun, the bad guy is in trouble.

I'm amazed that none of the guys reviewing this gun had a magazine loader tool to load their mags. Big mistake. Maybe they don't know about them, but most magazines are hard enough to load the last two or three rounds a guy can get the shakes, which don't help with accuracy.

Last edited:
Yep, the grouse up here in Colorado can grow to reach a moose's bell. [grin] Dangerous too!

I may have harvested more blue (dusky) grouse with revolvers and arrows, than with shotguns. Using bird shot in 45 colt or 44 spec. (I also, ahem, forgot to count my shots once, and took one with a 44 mag HP. I got lucky and hit it low, pretty much field dressed it. Nothing remained below the head, back and breast.)
The grouse make excellent additions to a September hunt camp's dinner!

carbonfibrebob

Single-Sixer

I used to own a SRH in 454 with the 7.5 in barrel and a Leopold scope. Harvested a couple of deer and a grouse with it, never did get to take an elk with it.
A grouse? Anything left? Welcome by the way

IMG_2981.jpeg
That Toklat now lives in my gun safe!
It may be a week or two before I fire it up. (Thank you upcoming time change for the after work range time. )

While picking up the Toklat at my LGS, they happened to have a used wrangler for $199, so somehow that ended up on the 4473. 🤔 it 'looks' like it has only 10 rounds through it.

Perfect for my upcoming 'intro to handguns' with my grandkids!

Thanks again Sharpblade!

Latest posts