Ruger #3 rifles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chubbo

Bearcat
Here is my Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet. Bought it several years ago, as I liked the .22 hornet cartridge, and iliked my #1 in .243, and thought I would try a #3. I put a scope on it, bore sighted It, and never shot it. Also found a steel butt plate and installed it. Maybe I'll get around to shooting it some this summer.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Have a couple 45/70 No. 3s I'd let go of. took awhile to find them in nearly-new condition. Cost-wise, what's the consensus on those these days?

picketpin

Buckeye
I see them while trolling for #1s. I'd see them in the common calibers for $600 in great or like new I've paid as little as $350 for "project" #s that are either apart or messed up.

I have owned 7, All were rebarreled and made into #2s.

RWT

picketpin

Buckeye
Sam: There are 4 on GB right now. The first is a 222 that was punched from a 22 Hornet and the fore end "modified". Current bid $350 with one bid. Buy it now $800 but it's met reserve and he'll never get close to $800.

The next is a 223 that looks pretty darned good . Current and only bid is the only bid $650, with 12 minutes to go.

The other two are a bit more based on caliber a 375 Win with a buy it now of $900 and no bids and a 30-40 with a buy it now of $900 and no bids.

Yes, I regularly see 45-70s, Hornets in particular go for right at $600

RWT

The 223 just sold for $650 with the single bid.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Not concerned with GB (always add another $50+ for shipping & transfer) - thought maybe you had a line on a LGS with a gun-on-the-shelf, maybe...

Too bad about the bubba job on that 223/222 gun. :shock:

picketpin

Buckeye
Nope any LGS is about 150 miles from here and other than pawn shops there are only about 3 maybe 4 stores that sell used guns at all. Cabelas, Boise Gun and...................okay, maybe two. We already know about Cabelas prices that leaves Boise Gun and the pawn shops. I can't think of anybody within 350 miles that actually stocks #1s. There were two, both went under when Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas hit town. Okay, MAYBE Salt Lake but I seldom if ever have reason to go there. Portland from time to time.

RWT

gabbyone

Bearcat
Here is an example of what you can do with the factory stock. I put on a flat buttplate, carved cheek panels and added a Schnabel to the fore end. Only the factory wood was used.
This #3 is a .223 tack driver, and can shoot 1/2" groups all day at 100 yds.
Unfortunately it no longer exists, having been destroyed in a house fire.

3-223.jpg

219DW

Bearcat
The .223 No.3 in the center of this pic is another example of a modified No.3 stock. I found it at a local gun show two years ago. I was looking for a .22 Hornet, but couldn't pass this one up for $575 since it also had a Kepplinger set trigger.

Dave

barracudadave67

Bearcat
I have two #3's. One is 45-70, stock the way it camefrom Ruger, and the other was a .44 mag that was rebored to .444 marlin. They are buried in one of my gun lockers. I have had them for many years.

barracudadave67

chsparkman

Bearcat
I have a #3 in .223. This past summer I developed a load using a cast 40 gr bullet over a light charge of Green Dot that will group into one hole at 50 yards. Just got lucky with this one. Had fun popping squirrels with it this past Fall.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
barracudadave67 said:
I have two #3's. One is 45-70, stock the way it camefrom Ruger, and the other was a .44 mag that was rebored to .444 marlin. They are buried in one of my gun lockers. I have had them for many years.

barracudadave67

Ouch! To those of us interested in the rarity aspects of these rifles, that one really hurts.

(but as I often say, it just makes the unaltered ones that much rarer and more valuable :wink: )

barracudadave67

Bearcat
Blackhawk
Yeah the .444 was that way when I got it, in the early 80's. I havn't shot either of them in years. The recoil on them left a lot to be desired. I know I could not get the .444 to shoot as good as I would have liked, but then I was just getting into reloading. I should try again with some friendlier loads.
barracudadave67

cat1870

Bearcat
I have a #3 .45-70 with a Weaver 2.5x scope, 200th Yr., and I'd say it's between 95-98 %. I may still have the box but will have to look tomorrow. I do have the manual.
Would anyone be interested? I'm thinking $800.00.
Comments are appreciated. And the Ruger is located in south west Utah.

Cat

montana outfitters

Single-Sixer
I had a #3 in 45-70...........planned to use it as a guiding rifle during big game season but soon learned what happens when you try for 1800 fps with 405 gr Remingtons in a 6 pound rifle..............wow........it kills on BOTH ends and soon resolved to find a #1 in 375 H&H and convert this into a 22BR....looks cool,packs light but god have mercy on the guy that tried to load this up to what a 45-70
can comfortably do in a #1-3 action..................

cat1870

Bearcat
montana outfitters said:
I had a #3 in 45-70...........planned to use it as a guiding rifle during big game season but soon learned what happens when you try for 1800 fps with 405 gr Remingtons in a 6 pound rifle..............wow........it kills on BOTH ends and soon resolved to find a #1 in 375 H&H and convert this into a 22BR....looks cool,packs light but god have mercy on the guy that tried to load this up to what a 45-70
can comfortably do in a #1-3 action..................

AKA: "The Atom Smasher"