Ruger Deerstalker 3 digit.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
You're sort of asking folks what it is worth, and people are asking you what you'd sell it for. Okay, I'll give you my personal opinion as to value: $450. The value of a very nice used one: $1200-1700 according to Gunbroker. When they are as rough as yours, the serial number is meaningless. https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search/completed?Keywords=ruger .44 carbine&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48. And as to giving it to a family member, just remember that parts are essentially non-existent. You'd have to buy another junker and high-grade the part you want.

the ser number is not meaningless, its a first day rifle. (200 a day production rifle) yes the ruger first rifle model made. the 108 rifle ever made. probably December 1961, BUT that things a mess, needs a front sight, replacement stock. reblued. but still with rescuing it. I offered $850. that my friends was generous. sadly it might not get saved. we can hope it gets the love it deserves. I was willing, why? im Mr. Deerstalker! ....lol...I love them carbines

KneverKnew

Bearcat
You're sort of asking folks what it is worth, and people are asking you what you'd sell it for. Okay, I'll give you my personal opinion as to value: $450. The value of a very nice used one: $1200-1700 according to Gunbroker. When they are as rough as yours, the serial number is meaningless. https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search/completed?Keywords=ruger .44 carbine&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48
Well, in that case, it's clear I should hang onto the one working gun I have, despite the condition.
It shoots great. 😁

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
the ser number is not meaningless, its a first day rifle. (200 a day production rifle) yes the ruger first rifle model made. the 108 rifle ever made. probably December 1961, BUT that things a mess, needs a front sight, replacement stock. reblued. but still with rescuing it. I offered $850. that my friends was generous. sadly it might not get saved. we can hope it gets the love it deserves. I was willing, why? im Mr. Deerstalker! ....lol...I love them carbines
How do you like the more recent Deerfield? I like them a lot. My only issue with Deerfields is that they do not eject to the side like the .44 Carbine (Deerstalker). Not good for scopes but there are work-arounds like the picatinny rail that deflects the spent shell, or the little scope pad that Ruger included with the gun. But I really like the rotary magazine. If Ruger could make a 44 Carbine with rotary mag AND side eject, we'd have the perfect gun.

The Deerfield is reworked version of what they found worked well, new front sight. taller. rotor mag (god bless H.H. Sefried) integrated scope mount for full size and compacted scopes. brilliant! upgraded handguns like the newer mini 14s (Not a fan) all and all great, but short lived run of a great carbine rifle. But im Mr. Deerstalker, Not Mr. Deerfield....lol

KneverKnew

Bearcat
Your offer was very generous Mr. Deerstalker! I appreciate all your fine input. I've decided the nostalgia of a first day production rifle is too special to let go. I found a reputable place that will do re-bluing at a reasonable price. While I may not be able to afford a "new" stock, I can repair and refinish my existing stock nicely. I hope to discover what the original finish was. I'm thinking it's semi gloss or glossy polyurethane of some sorts. Mr. Deerstalker, do happen to have any helpful info about the stock finish? Is the wood walnut?