Ruger Deerstalker 3 digit.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KneverKnew

Bearcat
I have a three digit serial number Deerstalker 44 Carbine that functions and shoots great. But th previous owner somehow completely wore the finish off the barrel. The stock has also been buggered by the addition of sling swivel holes. And they even messed up the first try and drilled a second forward hole. The finish is wearing thin in the obvious spots. I am contemplating having the gun professionally reblued to factory original specs , or as close as possible. First, please tell me that any collectibility of this gun is ruined by the poor finish and wood condition and my rebluing idea is okay. Second, where should I send the gun to have the work done right?
IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg
63626889439__1DBDEBB8-19A3-4CB2-A928-1F42550FEF40.jpeg

looks like ser #153....I believe I have 154. but would have to look. needs a new stock. Standard carbines never came with stud swivels. EVER. key word here, standard. rebuleing is not an issue, lots of good guys around. depending on your check book. low number, send it to the best. here's the part that might suck. what hole is buggered up. the correct hols used to mount scope is the rear receiver two and two on the rear barrel. the two front receiver where used to hold receiver action in place, later ones used plugs. making them unavailable to bugger up. send pick of hole messed up. Scott......mr. deerstaker

KneverKnew

Bearcat
looks like ser #153....I believe I have 154. but would have to look. needs a new stock. Standard carbines never came with stud swivels. EVER. key word here, standard. rebuleing is not an issue, lots of good guys around. depending on your check book. low number, send it to the best. here's the part that might suck. what hole is buggered up. the correct hols used to mount scope is the rear receiver two and two on the rear barrel. the two front receiver where used to hold receiver action in place, later ones used plugs. making them unavailable to bugger up. send pick of hole messed up. Scott......mr. deerstaker
Thanks Scott for the reply. The buggerred holes I mentioned were the swivel holes on the stock. Or the fact that they even exist. I will plug those holes with something and refinish the stock to as close a factory finish as possible. I'm thinking a semi-gloss poly. Of course my favorite treatment of old stocks is hand rubbed linseed oil. And words of advice on this?
The number isn't 153….108. Best I can figure, this would have been close to first day of production. 1961?
The reciever/ barrel screw holes are fine.

I would like to find an original front sight, but the Lyman is serviceable. I have a Simmons scope mounted now. Old eyes.
Shoots great, even my powder coated purple pills!
63626742445__60B9D30F-86F6-465A-95DB-23D855C480FF.jpeg

IMG_7116.jpeg

…and no, the isn't any leading issues in gas port.

my advice to you is find another great gun with a great stock, no holes in the stock. have your gun restored, put it away for the kids or grand kids. put old stock on your new shooter, non deerstalker, and blast way. option #2....sell me 108. ill make it great again!!!

KneverKnew

Bearcat
I'd love to have another 44 carbine in great condition to shoot and use. Unfortunately I can't afford such a purchase. Fixing up the one I have is more feasible. I've restored many milsurp rifles in the past and do a pretty good job. I'm quite good with wood. I feel I can get the gun pretty close to original condition. If I can find someone who knows what they're doing to polish, and re-blue the barrel and receiver to factory specs, or as close as possible. If I could find a replacement stock in good condition that would be even better, and save me the effort of patching and refinishing the bad stock.

KneverKnew

Bearcat
I would have to make enough money, selling it to you to be able to afford getting another one just like it in great condition. You're welcome to PM me with an offer. I honestly don't mind the flaws in the stock. I admit they don't look great but it's just part of the story of the gun. I'm confident I can make the stock look great with some decent looking plugs in the holes. But I have no doubt you would be able to restore it to perfection. Again, it would have to be a worthwhile transaction.

I would have to make enough money, selling it to you to be able to afford getting another one just like it in great condition. You're welcome to PM me with an offer. I honestly don't mind the flaws in the stock. I admit they don't look great but it's just part of the story of the gun. I'm confident I can make the stock look great with some decent looking plugs in the holes. But I have no doubt you would be able to restore it to perfection. Again, it would have to be a worthwhile transaction.
you don't have enough time to pm. text me. 907 203-7703 scott

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
If you get a good offer here, take it! I'm a bit of a .44 Carbine fanatic (I have a few), and I see less collectibility after restoration, but that is just my personal opinion.

KneverKnew

Bearcat
That's a great question. At the moment I'm torn between keeping it or selling to try and buy one in better condition. But I'm quite partial to the low serial number aspect. And I'm not entirely sure what it is worth as it is, although I e been given suggestions.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer

Latest posts