Ruger No 3 45/70 pickup

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
At the gun show today I started the purchase of a Ruger No 3 in 45/70. Have only had one Ruger single shot rifle before and that No 1 in 7mm Mauser never got fired by me. Due to our new State Stupity, I have to wait 10 business days to bring home this killer. I hope you all feel safer.

ruger_no3.jpg

Seems to be in excellent condition. No box, just the rifle and the installed rings. Has the "200th Anniversary" legend and the SN dates to 1976. Has a pretty nice looking butt stock. From this lousy pic at the show, can anyone tell if these are Ruger rings? I didn't notice any markings on them.

I think I got a good deal at $750 plus tax and fees (bumping it up to $840...damn State welfare).

Anything I need to know about this rifle? Thanks.

Rob

instructor

Single-Sixer
I am a big fan of the NO 3 but the recoil is definitely on the heavy side with 45/70/405 loads and eventually replaced it with a heavier barrel to help in that department. Had Douglas make me the 45 70 barrel and another barrel in 6BR which is the proverbial "tack driver. Only part change was the extractor due to rim diameter of the two rounds. Your wood is excellent and mine certainly not that nice, but did have it checkered so I could hang on to it when shooting it. Shame Ruger is no longer producing these fine carbine style rifles for find them to a very handy for hunting or range shooting.

I have a Trapdoor Springfield, Sharps, and a Marlin 1895 all in 45-70 and shoot them a bunch both for fun and SASS competition.
If you want the most fun accurate load out to 100-150 yards. Try what is suggested in this book which I recommend you get a copy of. The load is 10grs. of Unique with 300 gr lead bullet and a large pistol primer. You can shoot it all day long without pain.
The load with 8-10 gr. in the 30-30 also does great.

Have fun
1708916321149.png

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Well since we're now talking reloads here's
my go to reload.

45-70Govt.: 300gr .459dia lead flat point
Oregon Trail/IMR4198 35.8grs (1700fps?)
Hodgdon 2015 Annual Manual P. 141.

Very nice shooting, I think very powerful too.
Impressive performance on our
decommissioned steel fuel barrel, slightly
oversized entrance hole, huge tore up
exit hole. Distance was 100yds.

You have a nice Rifle there. Please give
a Range Report when you get a chance
to shoot it.

The #3 45/70 was my Dad's favorite rifle and the one I kept after his passing. Those offset rings are a good set up to mount a scope with proper eye relief which is an issue with the #3 and the #1. Mine now has an old Weaver 2.5X after trying Leupold, Nikon and even a Swarovski. If you're going to use lively hunting loads make sure that you do have enough eye relief! It's a great little woods gun being very light and handy and certainly plenty of power.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
At the gun show today I started the purchase of a Ruger No 3 in 45/70. ...

Due to our new State Stupity, I have to wait 10 business days to bring home this killer. I hope you all feel safer.

By any chance did you buy that last month at the Chehalis, WA, gun show?

I was talking with a seller there today about his collection; a pretty nice collection of S&W, Colt, Ruger, and Marlin. He told me that he sold a Ruger No.3 in .45-70, which I thought was a somewhat rare bird.

You have a nice one.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I bought the rifle 3 weeks ago at the Puyallup, WA WAC show from R&T Trading (Russ). He also does the Centralia show and that's where I picked it up yesterday (so it is home now). I have bought quite a few guns from him, and even sold a few to him.

This rifle was actually from his personal collection. His wife told me they bought it originally because of the nice butt. The foreend is pretty ordinary.

Rob

Latest posts