Pocket Carry Pistol Advice Needed....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have tried several and I do mean almost every pocket gun over the years. I also pocket carry because I am a little over weight and IWB carry is just uncomfortable. I carry a LCP Custom, great little pocket gun and if I have on pants with smaller pockets I can throw it in the pocket without a holster. With the long trigger pull I don't have to worry about it going off in the pocket. I also will carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in pocket for same reason (hammer fire, not striker fired). I had a LC9S and although the trigger is really good it is way to easily pulled to pocket carry without a holster. I am currently on the look out for the older LC9. But all in all my LCP Custom is the perfect most comfortable gun to carry I even forget it is in the pocket.
Good luck on you're quest.

A lot of good advice here. I've been carrying a gun for well over 40 years. Even before they had concealed carry permits. Back in those days even cops didn't take it too seriously unless you were a crook.
First off have you shot any of the guns you are considering??? Very important here. My hands are big enough I can only hold the LCP with a couple of fingers and it jumps around pretty well. Any shooter knows grip is critical to hitting your target, and if the gun is in a different position in your hand after each shot accuracy suffers. I consider it more of a back up gun than a primary.
Next, you have to decide if your gun is going to be determined by how you dress, or if you are going to pick your dress, to which gun you prefer to carry.
I've also carried a lot of guns over the years and I haven't carried and shot only a couple on your list. The reason it's important to shoot the gun you want to carry is confidence makes a huge amount of difference in your use.
I'm a big believer in wearing clothes that allows me to carry OWB holster. That with the proper belt gives you a lot more latitude on what you carry. Your $500 budget allows you to carry a lot of different guns. Plus you can even carry one of those guns you are considering as a back up. I consider the LCP a gun that is better than a rock but it's primarily for people who don't really expect to have to use one. Out of your list I would select the SR9c because I've already adjusted my dress to allow me to carry that. Personally I've never met a person who has had to use his gun that said I wish I hadn't carried all 5 rounds, cause I didn't need them. People tend to rethink their gun to something that holds more rounds. Of course that depends on where you live, I assume CHP is Calif, not sure where but it's conceivable you could be in a position where more is better. Typically, once the first shot heads their way the bad guys are ducking, dodging and running but it's not something you can count on. If that round was necessary hopefully it hits your target. Bigger guns are better for that as well. If you don't expect to ever need your gun, because you go to mostly public places, most any of those guns would work. I carry a gun because I might need it, not because I don't think I will. But then this is only worth what you paid for it.

Major T

Blackhawk
I do not recommend cary pistols/revolvers to folks. The selections are personal.

I like J frames, Walther PPK, and an old Colt pocket .380. Right now, I have no PPK.

My normal pocket carry is a S&W 42 in the pocket, naked. My usual attire is pleated front jeans (hard to find) Wrangler Riata khakis, or pleated front dress slacks. Lots of shorts for late spring thru early fall.

If I carry IWB, I switch to a heavier Model 60. The Colt lives in my car in a DeSantis holster made for a Walther PPK. Perfect fit except a tad short of covering all the barrel.

I gave my LCP TO Daughter. It is just too small for me and my hands are not very large.

The LC9 is appealing, but I have four J frames and I see little advantage so....for the next step up in size, I have a K frame and a Sig 229. Beyond that, a couple of 1911s and my Ruger .44s, and N frames. The latter are all too large for other than belt carry.

Best wishes,

Jack

donp62

Bearcat
I know, still a .25 acp, but, the Beretta 950 or 950 bs, with safety, are fine pocket carries. Tip up barrel. 8 plus 1 in the barrel. No need to rack slide. Mine has been very reliable. Great trigger, and accurate.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My favorite pocket rocket is the Kel-Tec P32 with Fiocchi FMJ, unfortunately mine is currently at Kel-Tec being serviced. My dealer is going to order me a stainless LCP so hopefully it will be here soon.

Whaler

Bearcat
I pocket carry a SIG P238 in a RedDog leather pocket holster.
P238RD.jpg

Or at times in a Remora sticky that works well for pocket or IWB.
SIG238.jpg

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have found that a lot of different guns can be carried in the pocket but not all of them work well for that purpose. If you can't easily draw the gun or it prints big time then that gun is not a good pocket carry candidate. Today's mini .32 and .380 autos excel in this role, as did the Colt Vest Pocket and Baby Browning a century ago. I find the mini 9's and midsize .380's are at their best carried IWB.

As much as I like wheel guns I have never found one that worked as well as an auto for concealed carry. I do open carry my S&W 10-5 in a cartridge belt when I'm out in the woods though.

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
Check out "Hickok45" on youtube. He does really well showing and explaining the various pocket guns.
Just go to his channel and use the search function...the little magnifying glass icon and type in Pocket guns.
If I'm interested in a certain gun I try and find his review on it.

The LCR in .38 would be a good first revolver to start with but the large grip could be a conceal issue in a pocket.

Sound Wisdom!!

ODS

5of7

Hunter
I have found that when wearing jeans, either Wrangler or Levis, the LCP fits very nicely in the watch pocket leaving the grips exposed for easy access.

Now, I have seen men who would have a problem with this method of carry due to abdominal overhang, but for the more fit individual, it works very well indeed. 8)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thought I would add to this discussion, I got myself an S&W 637 last week. I was poking around the fun store, which was out of stainless LCP's. Out of curiosity I asked to see the 637. Was surprised at the good trigger pull, like my model 10's, and how concealable it was. I had brought another gun with me to trade on the LCP and my dealer offered $40.00 more than I was hoping for. Paydirt!!

Have put around 60 rounds through the 637 so far, 140 and 150 grain semi-wadcutters. To my delight it shoots both of them well, the 140's print a little high surprisingly. Hope to wring it out some more over the holidays and then put it in the rotation.