Ruger Max 9 problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mecenas

Bearcat
I recently bought a Max 9 with ReadyDot mounted. After about 30 rounds the slide stop kept engaging the slide in the rearmost position almost every shot and it required release by manually disengaging the slide stop. At the same time, the takedown plate dropped down and stayed down.
A quick lifting of the frame insert from the grip frame shown that the slide stop spring slipped from the slide stop and now resided between the slide stop and the frame insert. That also caused the takedown plate to become loose since it is held in place by that spring. Easy diagnosis. I reassembled the slide stop spring, slide stop and the plate back to their correct position and fired next 25 to 30 rounds only to have the same thing happen.
Unfortunately, I bought the gun in Poland, where I reside for 6 months every year and there is only one Ruger certified distributor. I wrote them an email and I am waiting for their reply but knowing the laws here in Poland and red tape associated with anything dealing with firearms, I doubt they will be able to help me as promptly as Ruger customer service in the USA, but I would like to hear from other Max 9 owners if they had such a failure with their pistols.
Thanks for reading my post.

I've not heard of that problem. I have a Max9 that is my main HD weapon, fired 5-600 rounds through it with only ammo related failures and very few of them. I would contact Ruger directly and describe the problem, they may have a fix or at least need to be aware of the problem. Good luck over there in Poland.

HBWL

Bearcat
The spring is a bit delicate and can be easily dislodged, especially if the takedown plate isn't secured properly.
While you wait for a response from the Ruger distributor in Poland, you might want to try reassembling the slide stop spring yourself. There are some helpful YouTube videos that explain the process and show how to put everything back together correctly.
Of course, if you're not comfortable doing this yourself, it's always best to consult a professional gunsmith or wait for guidance from the distributor. Hopefully, they'll be able to provide a quick and easy solution so you can get back to enjoying your Max 9! 🔫💪

I have had the same issue. I haven't heard of any legitimate fix by Ruger. I check the takedown plate daily. Fortunately it's fairly intermittent for mine.

mecenas

Bearcat
I need to add that I am familiar with positioning of the slide stop, slide stop spring and the take down plate. I removed the frame insert and found the slide stop spring slipped from its position on the slide stop lever and now lies between the lever and the frame insert. In this position, the spring could not tension the slide stop lever to stay down. In addition, the take down plate was now completely loose as nothing was keeping it fixed against the grip frame. This problem was twice published on YouTube by a couple of owners. Ruger simply replaced: grip frame, slide stop lever, slide stop spring and the take down plate, fired three rounds and called it fixed. I hope it would be fixed.
After I just repositioned everything as it supposed to be, this happened again after about 25 rounds. Of course, I did not replace any parts. Hopefully, Ruger will send these parts to its Polish distributor so my pistol can be fixed. I cannot imagine shipping the gun from Poland. Such operation almost require an act of parliament.

JHall

Bearcat
to hear from other Max 9 owners if they had such a failure with their pistols.
Thanks for reading my post.
My son had the same problem with his nearly new Max9. He contacted Ruger and it was sent in through the FFL and repaired within a week. Runs fine now. Good luck 👍