I didn’t even know I needed this…

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Looking on another forum and surprised myself when I jumped when I saw a SS Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with white "Corian" type grips. Not sure what I was thinking, I've already got a similar one in 4-5/8" barrel, and a Ruger Alaskan in 454, although I mostly use heavy 45 Colt loads. That's not to mention the 44 mags. Not to mention I'm getting to old to get out a lot, and 1 gun 2 at most would be more than enough for me true needs. As much as I've been thinking about cutting back, I seem to be going the wrong way. HELP!!!

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I'm in the same boat as you. In my seventies now and should be downsizing but keep buying revolvers I find interesting. Another one should be at my receiving FFL tomorrow for transfer and is a duplicate of one I already own. It's a uncommon if not rare NYCPD Ruger revolver that was priced too low not to buy. I do range trips when my arthritic hands allow me to and actually enjoy cleaning them afterward. If it makes you happy and you can afford it, go for it.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
I'm in the same boat as you. In my seventies now and should be downsizing but keep buying revolvers I find interesting. Another one should be at my receiving FFL tomorrow for transfer and is a duplicate of one I already own. It's a uncommon if not rare NYCPD Ruger revolver that was priced too low not to buy. I do range trips when my arthritic hands allow me to and actually enjoy cleaning them afterward. If it makes you happy and you can afford it, go for it.
YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE ..... And You Can't Take It With You...

You can help keep the herd count down by only keeping the ones that meet or exceed your accuracy needs or a predefined baseline. This could take a long time, though, since each gun will shoot a specific load the best. If you handload and say, for example, you have a thousand bullets of one type, then only keep the guns that shoot your bullets accurately. For semi-automatics, you might distill them down according to reliability as well as accuracy for bulk factory ammo. We all know what it's like to own the coolest gun, but if accuracy was always terrible, it would be the first one sold to let someone else try it.

Other than these ideas, I think a lot of us here share the same "problem." I tend to minimize caliber (and cartridge) differences to minimize cleaning and loading gear, but I tend to have too many variations of the same cartridge (fixed sight vs adjustable, short barrel vs long barrel, single-action vs double-action, grip frame differences, manufacture differences, etc.).

contender

Ruger Guru
It's called; "Rugeritis" and it's a disease that I'll whip anybody who tries to cure me of it.

It affects a lot of us,, and the symptoms are; (1) A love of good quality Rugers. (2) Seeing a Ruger we'd enjoy owning. (3) The price is low enough to where we just can't say no. (4) The knowledge we'll enjoy it,, no matter if we already have the same gun or one very similar. (5) Buying it to prevent someone else from getting a good deal. (6) Buying it to just make our friends & fellow Rugerites jealous. (7) Various other symptoms can cause the wallet to come out & make us smile as we get "another" Ruger."

It's called; "Rugeritis" and it's a disease that I'll whip anybody who tries to cure me of it.

It affects a lot of us,, and the symptoms are; (1) A love of good quality Rugers. (2) Seeing a Ruger we'd enjoy owning. (3) The price is low enough to where we just can't say no. (4) The knowledge we'll enjoy it,, no matter if we already have the same gun or one very similar. (5) Buying it to prevent someone else from getting a good deal. (6) Buying it to just make our friends & fellow Rugerites jealous. (7) Various other symptoms can cause the wallet to come out & make us smile as we get "another" Ruger."
For me it's guns that fill an empty niche in my collection. Even if I have to make up the niche and the gun to fill it myself.

Cholo

Staff member
You're not going to get any help from me, Marlin :ROFLMAO: I don't believe in "thinning the herd" so to speak. 11 or 12 years ago I told Forum member Bkat at the TX meet that I wasn't going to be buying any more guns. Yeah, how'd that work out? LOL On the way home a local distributor called to say my SR1911 came in; $579. They were new at the time. I picked it up before I made it home. I have held back buying doubles and triples of guns I already own.

If you want it and can afford it, why not buy it? It's not like we're going to live forever. Denying yourself of things like guns that gives you pleasure is simply denying yourself. The local gun shop can sell them for your wife if it comes to that. It's not like you're sending all your $ to Joel Osteen or something LOL

Life is short, buy the gun!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Looking on another forum and surprised myself when I jumped when I saw a SS Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with white "Corian" type grips. Not sure what I was thinking, I've already got a similar one in 4-5/8" barrel, and a Ruger Alaskan in 454, although I mostly use heavy 45 Colt loads. That's not to mention the 44 mags. Not to mention I'm getting to old to get out a lot, and 1 gun 2 at most would be more than enough for me true needs. As much as I've been thinking about cutting back, I seem to be going the wrong way. HELP!!!

I didn't need that collectible Colt 1911 anniversary pistol I bought a few weeks ago, either. But I bought it anyway. 😁

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I suffer the same problem, told my youngest son the other day it will be easier just to move to Montana when I die so he doesn't have to move everything and that I will haunt them if they have a fire sale! Ended up buying this 1966 44 International Carbine the other day because I couldn't pass it up!
IMG_5985.jpeg

Rclark

Hunter
Once you stop you've given up on life.
Naw, it just means you finally figured out that you don't need more. I've reached that point. I found my perfect pack'n revolvers, so... yep I am there. However ... there is still some things I want to try. For example I'd like to get a flintlock sometime just to experience that, or a matchlock, or some unique percussion weapons ... But for modern cartridge revolvers and pistols, I am satisfied with my small collection.

Naw, it just means you finally figured out that you don't need more. I've reached that point. I found my perfect pack'n revolvers, so... yep I am there. However ... there is still some things I want to try. For example I'd like to get a flintlock sometime just to experience that, or a matchlock, or some unique percussion weapons ... But for modern cartridge revolvers and pistols, I am satisfied with my small collection.
Exactly!!! I need a Matchlock and a Wheel lock!!!

I seem to have the same problem. The only thing I can think of to cure it is either to die or to find some program where I can trade one I've have had for a while for one I haven't got-in that way I'm not spending money but still seeming to have something new every so often.

DITTO! My first buy was at age 15 of a shinning new Marlin 39A Lever Action .22 from a Western Auto Store in Buffalo. My latest has yet to arrive but is due this week. This one is a new production Belgian FN Hi Power 9mm Pistol that will be joining about 2 dozen FN & Browning cousins in my safe. I am a few years from 90 years of age. My downsizing effort so far has been limited to my enormous comic book collection. The next target is many years of The American Rifleman magazine.

Turbojet

Bearcat
I seem to have the same problem. The only thing I can think of to cure it is either to die or to find some program where I can trade one I've have had for a while for one I haven't got-in that way I'm not spending money but still seeming to have something new every so often.
That won't work either. I miss every gun that I ever sold. Seller's Remorse.

Star43

Blackhawk
DITTO! My first buy was at age 15 of a shinning new Marlin 39A Lever Action .22 from a Western Auto Store in Buffalo. My latest has yet to arrive but is due this week. This one is a new production Belgian FN Hi Power 9mm Pistol that will be joining about 2 dozen FN & Browning cousins in my safe. I am a few years from 90 years of age. My downsizing effort so far has been limited to my enormous comic book collection. The next target is many years of The American Rifleman magazine.
God Bless America !! You know, if it keeps you happy and look forward to waking up every day, that is called: "enjoying life" For me I can also remember my first gun like yesterday and love all the ones that have followed that one since !! 😊

Latest posts