Blackhawk OM advice needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rail

Bearcat
So two things just for future reference: 1. Ruger will absorb the cost of shipping to Ruger but you will pay $45 to ship back. 2. The cost of the bluing for anyone wanting to do the same is $130. Its an old timer and they said they may eat that cost, why I am not sure, unless its because of the box having caused the condition.

I should also mention that it is going to be well over six weeks since they don't have the conversion parts in stock..I may send them a kit found on ebay.

rail

Bearcat
Hah - they may take you up on that. The lady I spoke to sounded pretty cautious when talking about a return date. Made me quite nervous.

contender

Ruger Guru
Relax about the timeframe. Usually Ruger has a Christmas shut-down break, and things get lowed down.

I'd go ahead & get it shipped,, and let them figure out the conversion parts. But again, remove the original parts and do NOT ship the box. (That box is worth about $300.)

rail

Bearcat
No, they send a box for the shipping. They were pretty specific, but they did say they would return the original parts - as well as letting me know that if there were any changes to the gun it would be brought back to spec. Reminded me of a different thread where someone was going to send in their OM and mentioned that his father had done a trigger job. That's the sort of thing they said they revert aside from any conversions.

contender

Ruger Guru
I know they send a box for shipping,, but occasionally we hear of people who lose a box they shipped a gun to them in.

I would still remove the original parts. There is always the chance of the wrong ones being returned. It has happened. Remember,, that gun is a desirable one,, and HARD to replace correct original parts.

rail

Bearcat
The box came in yesterday and oddly nowhere in their documentation did I find that they will return the original parts, but I did see where they suggested removing the old parts. So they may still try to return the old parts - or they may not..I can't remember if the lady with whom I spoke said they would but no doubt that even if Contender had not strongly suggested it, I would be removing them. That's a huge risk.

G2

Hunter
I'd like to think that they'll do their part, but I'll remove them. No harm in that and less for them to worry about.

One would like to think they will do their part,,,
These parts are getting hard to find, they don't make them anymore,,, and once there gone,,, there gone!!!

Their has been situations of "the missing parts" ,,,
The reason you were informed by many to remove them before shipping.

bpimwheel

Bearcat
Won't it ship free to and back from Ruger for the conversion? Then get the bluing done while it is there. It costs a whole lot to ship a handgun so the free shipping for the conversion is a big deal.

That is the way it was when I had mine done a good while back. Mine was really rough and I had them put on a steel grip frame while it was there.
Earlier this year I shipped a 357/9mm OM Blackhawk that was missing the 357 cylinder back to Ruger for a new cylinder. Took about 3 weeks and the only charge was $95 for the cylinder. They sent me a Fedex shipping tag so shipping both ways was on them.
Yes they did the safety conversion on it and sent all the original parts back with the gun. I replaced the original parts once I got the gun back and did NOT find an "R" stamped anywhere on the inside top of the grip frame or the botton inside of the cylinder frame. Maybe I'm missing it but don't think so.
Anyway the point is if you send it in insist to the customer service person they send you a shipping tag for the conversion, then have the reblue done while it is there. Saves the cost of shipping both ways and is much much less problem to deal with the carrier.

rail

Bearcat
Well the lady I spoke with was both knowledgeable and nice, but I did pay the $45 shipping cost for the gun to go to them. Parts were removed prior so I am not concerned about that part. Them being out of .44 parts is frustrating but understandable. They have to be getting to the point where those are manufactured 'jit' - just in time.

** and a quick note - there is a checkbox on the sheet that comes with the box which has notice of parts being returned. Its not in the write-up but it did show there. No point in checking it and kind of an odd place to put it, but just correcting my earlier statement.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
....sounds like a nice early one, got for it, they know what to do, and as noted above you can send it in "as is", but I would remove the original grips and do NOT send it in with the "original" box (packaging).......too hard to replace either...;)
I Found That Out The Hard Way. Original Box, GONE....

chet15

Hawkeye
I see a Super Blackhawk with a 1xxx range serial number. Pull the grips off and see if there is a "C" stamped on the backside of each. It may be one of the scarce long frame Supers.
Chet15

rail

Bearcat
Well the BH is back home again. I have to say, the bluing is the same as the original - matching my single six and .357 so I have no regrets about sending it in. I removed the transfer bar and replaced with the original parts and all is well with the world. Pulled the grips to check for the 'C' and this is what I found:

Attachments

• IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

rail

Bearcat
Didn't expect such a tiny 'C' though. I checked the other grip and it looks more like a 'J' - so go figure. As for the rest of the piece:

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 37
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts