Permitless Carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It's not about taking a test, it's about education and keep in mind what I'm talking about is everyone...not just folks who want to own or carry a gun but EVERYONE... and actually everyone does have to take multiple test for their other rights. ... at least way back when I was going to school we did... it was part of our education. So, I don't see why the 2nd amendment with hands on training should not be a part of everyone's education.

as for the drivers test... I agree, even though the argument is that is not a right, to drive, but a privilege.... the problem is most of the people I see on the road need much more than a test. Which is actually a good argument as to why most people should not have the right to own a gun. If you can't drive responsibly then you surely don't have the wear with all to be responsible with a gun.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
It's not about taking a test, it's about education and keep in mind what I'm talking about is everyone...not just folks who want to own or carry a gun but EVERYONE... and actually everyone does have to take multiple test for their other rights. ... at least way back when I was going to school we did... it was part of our education. So, I don't see why the 2nd amendment with hands on training should not be a part of everyone's education.

as for the drivers test... I agree, even though the argument is that is not a right, to drive, but a privilege.... the problem is most of the people I see on the road need much more than a test. Which is actually a good argument as to why most people should not have the right to own a gun. If you can't drive responsibly then you surely don't have the wear with all to be responsible with a gun.
You technically have to have liability insurance for a car also. So are you also ok with mandating insurance to own a gun? How about mandating retention holster designs (seat belts)? Are you ok with limiting ammo capacity? Caliber? Rate of fire? Among the many other requirements/limitations government has promulgated or proposed? When is enough, enough?

How much control over your life are you willing to surrender to the government, in exchange for some perceived level of safety?

Last edited:
My take on 1A:

Before there WAS a declaration of independence or a constitution, people living in North America (aka USA) had the right to carry a weapon and there was nothing to stop them. THAT scenario ("the Original State") describes the inalienable right that is specified in 1A - a right that existed before there was a government and which 1A confirmed could not be taken away.

Written tests, carry permits, etc. do NOT comport to the Original State.

I would rather that people be required to pass a "Civics" test before they can vote to be sure they know what or who they are voting for. Most kids getting out of school couldn't even pass the citizenship test that immigrants have to take to become a citizen.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Massive incompetence by the legal system in Billings.

I share a property line with the local K-12 school, but my house is approx 1/4mile from the school property thru dense forest that I own. I've shot and hunted on my property for 23 years, and not a soul has complained, including the deputy or the retired sheriff who have property near mine. I have a lot more guns than just one shotgun. I wear a sidearm every time I walk out the door, which means I'm well within that stupid GFSZ law just taking the garbage out or picking up the mail.
And just an anecdotal personal account, I was in my Jr. High Rifle Club In 1961, Long Island NY. After school, I would go home, get my rifle & box o ammo, case it up and ride back to the school with it in the basket of my bike. The range was in the basement of the school. I rode passed a police booth & would wave at the cop if one was there. Same on the way home after our shooting session. Never was a problem then.

pyth0n

Buckeye
"It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone."

Not doing anything more than asking what "interstate or foreign commerce" means in this law?

pyth0n

Buckeye
Does everyone complain about taking a drivers' test???
And what DUIs, speeding violations, high speed chases, reckless driving incidents, etc, has testing stopped?
Speed limit here in FL is 70. Our county sheriff announced that last year his officers arrested 260+ for doing over 100mph & weaving in & out of traffic. I'm sure those drivers were tested, both written & practical.

pyth0n

Buckeye
First the link is from a college not the actual law. I'm not aware of any exceptions to this law if you have a license to carry... what about post office property which includes the parking lot? The reality is most of us commit several felonies a day and I'm not talking about gun laws....
Posted by the CORNELL LAW SCHOOL. What's wrong with that?

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Does everyone complain about taking a drivers' test???
I don't complain but I know it's not about competency. It's about the fee. All licensing is nothing but a tax. Ever seen someone with a driver license that cannot safely drive? I have. Ever seen a building permit for a structure or project that should not exist? I have. Ever seen someone with an LTC that has no business with a firearm? Yep, I have seen that too. Licenses are WORTHLESS and a way the Man gets your money and information.

Might be acceptable to you. A test such as you mention, is not acceptable to me. Failing such a test, and therefore being disqualified would infringe on a Right. And if there is no pass/fail criteria, then of what possible use is such a test? Would everyone get unlimited do-overs? Again, what would be the point?
At what point is someone being a threat to themselves and everyone around them a factor? My standard would be 10rnds 10seconds all in target at 25yds.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
At what point is someone being a threat to themselves and everyone around them a factor? My standard would be 10rnds 10seconds all in target at 25yds.
Exactly. It's a personal decision based on the immediate circumstances, not a decision to be made by a 3rd party who is not involved.

The only acceptable response to the threat of lethal violence is immediate and savage counterattack. If you resist, you just may get killed. If you don't resist you almost certainly will get killed. It is a tough choice, but there is only one right answer. J. Cooper

Coopers philosophy is also reflected in MS Statute 97-3-15 (Justifiable Homicide), as described in a recently passed bill that created the MS School Safety Guardian Act:

Last edited:

DEG1

Bearcat
Training = good, testing, by who, to what standard. And as a requirement, no way.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
So here's a question. If you have a driver's licenses from Maine it's acceptable in all 50 states and territories & protectorates of the US. So why aren't conealed carry permits the same.
So here's yet another question.
If we truly have a National Insta-Check System (NICS), why can't One buy a pistol while on vacation in another state and leave the store with it?

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
First the link is from a college not the actual law. I'm not aware of any exceptions to this law if you have a license to carry... what about post office property which includes the parking lot? The reality is most of us commit several felonies a day and I'm not talking about gun laws....
I don't know how many times I have heard that. Well, I call BS. I don't commit felonies on a daily basis. I suspect that most of the country is perfectly able to function without committing felonies on a daily basis. But if you want people to be submissive in the presence of law enforcement, it helps to have contrivances such as that.

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
But back to the original concept of permitless carry. Those who want training requirements, education about the law, etc. are really saying that they do not believe in the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2nd Amendment. When parts of our country tried to set standards for who could vote, it was decried as racist and made illegal. If you grant the government the right to set standards on who can carry a gun, you end up with a situation such as what NY lived with for the past hundred years or so. "Shall not be infringed" means just that. Everyone not otherwise banned from owning a firearm has the right to carry a firearm, and if they abuse or misuse that firearm they are subject to appropriate punishment. That is the risk we take in return for the right to be free citizens.

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
Might be acceptable to you. A test such as you mention, is not acceptable to me. Failing such a test, and therefore being disqualified would infringe on a Right. And if there is no pass/fail criteria, then of what possible use is such a test? Would everyone get unlimited do-overs? Again, what would be the point?
Yes.. "shall not be infringed" A "test" or "instruction" to exercise my RIGHT is no different then having to take "speech instruction" to exercise your first amendment.. If someone dosnt feel they can operate thier firearm, then dont carry it.. If you mess up while carrying, then yull face whatever lawsuit encures if you accidentally remove Aunt Millys wig, with the top of her head still in it.. OOOPS! 🤣 We have constitutional carry here, and not heard ANY accidents yet.. Runs smooth here..

I notice that often folks here are complaining about how bad our education system is .... let's just get rid of it. Stop teaching things like reading, writing and arithmetic.... why force young people to learn these things.... they aren't really important in todays society.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I notice that often folks here are complaining about how bad our education system is .... let's just get rid of it. Stop teaching things like reading, writing and arithmetic.... why force young people to learn these things.... they aren't really important in todays society.
Close to correct. Stop taxing the entire community to send ungrateful kids to a bureaucratic mess and have the parents take some responsibility for their education. Forget about "no child left behind"...leave them behind if the parents don't care. Let natural selection do its thing...

Latest posts