New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
I finally got my bronze wrangler and out of curiosity had to see if a 22 magnum cylinder would fit. Like another member posted it will fit but won't function. Mine fit but could not get base pin to lock....so I tried an old model cylinder and it works. Here's what I observed:

1.Cylinder fits and base pin locks.
2.No free spin it actually indexes
3.Loading is a little difficult... not impossible. Cylinder turns to load 3 then you have to half cock hammer.
4.cylinders line up properly with barrel.
5. Range test: had 6 rounds successfully hit target and no problems functioning

57springer

Buckeye
NH Rugerman said:
butcherboy1985 said:
22 magnum ammo. Cci hollow point and varmint.i only tested 3 of each. Distance 15 yds shooting at steel plate.

Ruger is not going to like this... :shock: :oops:
Am I reading this correctly , A cylinder from another early revolver was substituted in the wrangler and fired ?

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
57springer:

Yes your reading my post correctly.the spare 22wmr cylinder from a old model single six... fit and functioned. As I posted loading was a little difficult... had to load 3 then half cock hammer and load 3 more... but firing was 100 %

hittman

Staff member
Just saw Sportsmans Guide is selling a Traditions Rawhide Single Action in the $150 range, normally $180.

That's right in the new Wrangler wheelhouse and I gotta think folks would select the Ruger name over Traditions Rawhide for similar money!

57springer

Buckeye
hittman said:
Just saw Sportsmans Guide is selling a Traditions Rawhide Single Action in the $150 range, normally $180.

That's right in the new Wrangler wheelhouse and I gotta think folks would select the Ruger name over Traditions Rawhide for similar money!
I have never saw a traditions revolver in a shop . I have several traditions muzzleloaders, they are good guns :!:

hittman said:

Yep, I don't find that particular model on the Traditions website where all their .22 Rawhide revolvers carry an MSRP right at $500. The one in the SG ad would seem to be one aimed (sorry) at the Wrangler. No details given of materials used, etc.

Not too surprising except for how quickly this "new" version showed up . . . unless I have been missing it all along for quite a while.

:wink:

57springer

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
hittman said:

Yep, I don't find that particular model on the Traditions website where all their .22 Rawhide revolvers carry an MSRP right at $500. The one in the SG ad would seem to be one aimed (sorry) at the Wrangler. No details given of materials used, etc.

Not too surprising except for how quickly this "new" version showed up . . . unless I have been missing it all along for quite a while.

I did a search and looks like this traditions model is new for Jan 2019 . Heritage has even more competition .

57springer said:
Ale-8(1) said:
hittman said:

I did a search and looks like this traditions model is new for Jan 2019 . Heritage has even more competition .

And Heritage has reacted by letting retailers sell them for $119.00. I have seen them for that price at a couple of my regular dealers and on line too.

NH Rugerman said:
57springer said:
Ale-8(1) said:

And Heritage has reacted by letting retailers sell them for $119.00. I have seen them for that price at a couple of my regular dealers and on line too.

. . . which means Ruger has gotten their attention! Isn't this fun?!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

louiethelump

Buckeye
I doubt that will be needed. The cylinder that "kinda sorta" fits in it has not been made since the new models came out in what? 1973???? I suspect that the statement in the manual that says "NO OTHER CYLINDER WILL FIT THE WRANGLER" and the fact the one that happens to work in it for three chambers at a time has not been made in over 45 years should cover it.

Just my opinion. Could be wrong. How would Ruger prevent someone from just rechambering the existing cylinder to .22 magnum like I had done on my favorite Bearcat?

Supposedly the whole gun is made to go together and work with no fitting, so the cylinder from my silver one should work in my black one. Make one cylinder .22 magnum. All this voids warranty of course.

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
Louiethelump: I don't see there being a recall at all. I'm sure you can appreciate "tinkering and experimenting" to see what might work. I of course realize the void of warranty and the risk. Also realize that not every om cylinder will work. Mine happens to function 100% after the 3 shot loading process. My goal was to inform people that it could be done for a fun project. In no way do I claim any safety or long term function. Certainly won't be a carry gun but on the farm for plinking reliability isn't an issue.

Hope everyone is enjoying there wranglers if they have one. Great little guns imho.
Btw swivels make great lanyard loops on these guns.

If anyone would like pictures of project please pm me I'll text/email

louiethelump

Buckeye
butcherboy1985:
I agree. It was not me that suggested there would be a recall. I think it was at least half jest anyway. Folks have tinkered with a Ruger guns since they came out. (Ever see the 32S&W long wadcutter conversion on a MKI .22 pistol?). I am not concerned with the warranty. If I break it I would not expect warranty to fix it. I AM intrigued by rechambering a cylinder designed to be interchangeable to .22 magnum.

I refitted the used single six grip frame that I had put on the silver wrangler, and got it fitting the black one a little better. I just need to find someone to cerakote it to match.

ZgQqspa.jpg

I found a set of wood gunfighter grips in my gun box that were actually lighter than the plastic ones that come on these guns.

rrHMWuG.jpg

OWHXZhu.jpg

unloaded, this one weighs just 25.3 oz per my postal scale. very handy weight for a blue jean pocket or just tuck in the waist band when out in my woods.

E1RTvNz.jpg