New Ruger 10/22 stock by Magpul

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bear007

Bearcat
Not a lot of weight loss but you get a different angle grip, a little closer to a pistol grip, which might work better for you. I think it might work better for me on some of the metal target shoots I occasionally do.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Got mine today (way sooner than expected). Switched out the pencil bbl tray for the bull bbl of my 10/22 Target rifle. It has a slight wobble (or rocking motion) when pressure is applied by hand. I'm going to try and shoot it for accuracy and if comparable to my heavily bedded original wood laminate stock, I'll leave it alone. If a disaster, I'll try a little glass bedding under the rear support (behind the trigger group) and maybe a touch under the bbl close-in to the receiver. Just thinking out loud, may be quite awhile before I get it done and can report. I'll not undertake the level of bedding I did on the wood laminate stock !!!
J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well, I got to shoot it and it was surprisingly accurate. Once I fired about 20 rounds to get it sighted-in at 25 yds., I was able to get a ten-shot group that I could cover with a nickel (MAYBE even a dime). HOWEVER, the fact that the barrelled action could be moved (wobbled) front to rear ever so slightly, but very obviously bothered me so I decided to try a "quick and dirty" glass bed job (JUST ON THE REAR) of the action behind the trigger group. There is a small shelf which sorta 'slips' in between an area of the trigger group; so I guessed if I could build up the top and bottom of that shelf, it would keep the action stable and not require me to mess with the barrel channel. I wrapped one piece of masking tape around the bottom of the barrel, about 2-4 (?) inches in front of where it goes into the receiver (making sure not to get near the screws and block etc). Preparation required plugging all holes and seams in the back of the trigger group with play-dough. Then careful application of release agent. Because it's a plastic (polymer) stock, glass bed won't adhere, so I had to drill small holes at opposing angles to create a mechanical lock of the glass. I also decided to do the top part of the shelf first and let it harden/cure before attempting the lower half. After completing both the top and bottom, it appears to have eliminated the "wobble" completely AND the (heavy) barrel of my 10/22 is still free floating (albeit tightly...only can slip a single dollar bill down the channel). It may be a few weeks before it will be warm enough for me to test for accuracy again, but logic says that it won't be any worse then before I started. The work is NOT pretty, but it's all inside so you can't see it. Here are two pics.
TOP VIEW
1708993547980.jpeg

BOTTOM VIEW
1708993578593.jpeg

1708993745074.jpeg

J.

Last edited:

bear007

Bearcat
- What you can't see won't hurt you,
- looks good to me,
- a lot of things are pretty on the outside but it's the insides that make it work properly,
etc., etc., etc. ... who cares!

If it's accurate, stable and looks good installed, what else could you ask for???

Johnnu2

Hunter
Now that the wobble (mentioned above) is gone, I took the 10/22 Magpul to the range today and found it's accuracy to be pretty much the same as before I glass bedded the wobble out. At 25 yds, got 10 shots that could easily be covered with a dime, Will be going for a 50 yd test next chance at a warm day. The pistol grip configuration on this heavy bbl gun makes shooting less painful in my wrist.
1708993485585.jpeg

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I couldn't agree more, and with that gob of bedding in there? If you got a stock looking like that from the factory, you'd want your money back.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Keep it up. Anxious to see your results at 50.
First, THANKS for all the kind words and encouragement.

AzShooter, I finally got out to test it at 50 yds. The results are below and pretty good considering that I have a bad (dominant) eye that I must shoot with when using a scope. Macular pucker makes the crosshairs in my scope AND on my target appear sqiggly, so alignment is difficult and very (eye) tiring. Anyway, here's my best two groups at 50 yds. (40 gr Fed Auto Match). Note the 'ten shots's
target has a nickle and the '5 shots' target has a dime showing in the pic. There was sporadic, light wind all day.
J.

Attachments

• Ruger 10-22 50yds 1.JPG
    Ruger 10-22 50yds 1.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Ruger 10-22 50yds 2.JPG
    Ruger 10-22 50yds 2.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
First, THANKS for all the kind words and encouragement.

AzShooter, I finally got out to test it at 50 yds. The results are below and pretty good considering that I have a bad (dominant) eye that I must shoot with when using a scope. Macular pucker makes the crosshairs in my scope AND on my target appear sqiggly, so alignment is difficult and very (eye) tiring. Anyway, here's my best two groups at 50 yds. (40 gr Fed Auto Match). Note the 'ten shots's
target has a nickle and the '5 shots' target has a dime showing in the pic. There was sporadic, light wind all day.
J.
Nice work! I had that stock in same color on my first bull barrel build but it just felt unbalanced as mentioned, now have a hunter instead on my bull 1022. I really like the simplicity of this stock, clean lines, light as can be, its on my compact and working great. Such a fun shooter, included a picture below.
Also - I just started taking my two precision builds out on 50yrd range for practice, it ain't easy, you are doing awesome!

Compact.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts