New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66 said:
Ale-8(1) said:
hpman66 said:
Aren't the SR22s in the $350+ category? You could buy 2 Wranglers for that price or buy one Wrangler and a whole lot of ammo for that price. Isn't the price one of the biggest selling points for the Wrangler? :? :wink:

I'd say it's the key selling point. Can't think of any real way it's better than a conventional Single-Six. I stand ready to be contradicted on that, of course.

:wink:

I never tried to imply that that Wrangler was better than a conventional Single-Six---it isn't. It's just the Wrangler will give more new shooters a chance to get a single action revolver at a very competitive/affordable/desirable price and there get more people interested in firearms/shooting---like the Heritage did now and the Single-Six did back in the day it arrived on the scene.

And I never said you did imply that. Just making your point that it's an entry-level gun at an entry-level price.

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
I got a hold of one and it did have some heft to it. I have one on order, back ordered, but they are out there. Another local shop had a stack of them at least in the beginning. LOL
Best,
Rob

mac66

Single-Sixer
hpman66 said:
mac66 said:
"If I'm purposefully hunting small game, I want a heavier gun like a Single Six or K-22 to do it with. If I'm just packing a rimfire for a woods walk or camping, there is a lot of utility in one that is as light as possible."

Well you could always go with an SR22 which is pretty light. The frame is plastic and the slide is a sort of alloy.

I had a Rough Rider single action. It was a POS gun (but cheap!) I now have my dad's 1955 Single Six so I am good to go from that standpoint. The Wrangler is intriguing however as a kick about in the woods/tackle box gun though I have a SR22 for that as well.

Aren't the SR22s in the $350+ category? You could buy 2 Wranglers for that price or buy one Wrangler and a whole lot of ammo for that price. Isn't the price one of the biggest selling points for the Wrangler? :? :wink:

I thought we were talking about weight, not price. The SR22 is around $270 so you have a point concerning price but there are lots of cheaper, lighter 22 pistols out there to be had if that is the issue.

s4s4u

Hunter
hpman66 said:
mac66 said:
"If I'm purposefully hunting small game, I want a heavier gun like a Single Six or K-22 to do it with. If I'm just packing a rimfire for a woods walk or camping, there is a lot of utility in one that is as light as possible."

Well you could always go with an SR22 which is pretty light. The frame is plastic and the slide is a sort of alloy.

I had a Rough Rider single action. It was a POS gun (but cheap!) I now have my dad's 1955 Single Six so I am good to go from that standpoint. The Wrangler is intriguing however as a kick about in the woods/tackle box gun though I have a SR22 for that as well.

True, but you couldn't have two more different platforms. If all you want is something that goes bang and puts holes in paper or small critters then your point is valid. But if you want a platform that mimics your semi-auto for cheap practice then the two aren't comparable, regardless of price. If you want a gun to mimic your Vaquero for cheap practice the Wrangler might just be the ticket.

hittman

Staff member
A local dealer told me today he has 4 of these on order. I'll take a look at them when they arrive and report here unless others see them in person first.

57springer

Buckeye
hittman said:
A local dealer told me today he has 4 of these on order. I'll take a look at them when they arrive and report here unless others see them in person first.
I called both my local dealers this afternoon , all I got was "on order ". They both did say their was tremendous interest in the Wrangler. Its gonna bet a hot seller :D

old 41

Bearcat
Brown truck brought a silver one today.
ran a patch thru it, cylinder gap is .004, .005 won't go, the Trigger pull is just over 4 pounds.
Ran out to some BLM land and shot it 100 rounds or so. Was hitting low but then the Bearcat I had along was too so it was maybe me.
Low is better than high and a fairly easy fix so no worries.
So far I am very happy for under two hundred bucks.

Took the pic with a cheaper phone in bright sunlight, the finish looks better in person than the picture.

DwoHcsN.jpg

williamc

Single-Sixer
As many have said, this isn't a re-issue of the "Lightweight", but oh baby would I buy that.

Ruger Wrangler
Aluminum grip frame
Fluted cylinder
Cerakoted to match the old tricolor color scheme

I'm guessing those changes would take another 4oz or so off the gun - 26oz total (10oz lighter than my KNR-4)? Zinc is much closer to the density of steel than aluminum, and flutes would take a bit off the cylinder.

I know that combo wouldn't stay under $200, but I'd pay more for it!

William

mohavesam

Hawkeye
:wink:
One retailer in the area said it best so far: "It looks like a good gun for someone who wants a SA Ruger 22, but can't afford one". :wink:

I think it will be interesting to see if the sales success of the Wrangler comes at the expense of that of the Single-Six. You can bet the bean-counters will be watching that closely.

Ale-8(1) said:
I think it will be interesting to see if the sales success of the Wrangler comes at the expense of that of the Single-Six. You can bet the bean-counters will be watching that closely.

Or PERHAPS this gun is in response to the bean counters tracking how sales of the Single-Six have steadily fallen as MSRP increased.....

grobin

Blackhawk
It is likely an attempt to maintain market share in the revolver market. Ruger makes excellent product but competes with its' self and is definitely high end.