New mini14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
The new ones have true walnut stocks. Not sure if the old ones had that or birch. I think the price of the new ones is totally reasonable, and if I liked the .223 cartridge, I would buy one of these.

JCK

Single-Sixer
The GB was a civilian version (semi-auto) of the AC-5.56, a selective fire military-police version.
I was checked out on one in 1980 while working for a police department. Our swat team had two, along with two M16's. (Vietnam era pre A2's).
Consensus was that they were more accurate and with folding stocks better for rappelling off building tops for window entry's. Not so much fun to shoot with the folding stock though.

Something not correct about the second gun . Has a flash suppressor and different front sight . I would question it's "NIB" description . Other one looks factory ........😉
I have a GB model that came from the KY State Police in the 1980s. I have a friend, a retired NC State Trooper, according to him in the 80s he was issued a GB model. If I understand it, the models were made for government agencies, state police, prison guards etc.

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
At least the new version is made using the post-2007 barreled action with the improved gas system and heavier barrel. It has a much better probability of hitting the target than the old A Team versions. :p

I guess you could buy a new Mini-14 stainless Tactical Model (MSRP $1489), add a Samson folding stock from Accuracy Systems for $350, and a bayonet lug for around $70 but then you'd be up to around the price of the new model anyway.

Last edited:

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I keep looking at the 10/22 folder that is based on the mini 14 folder on rugers site . Looks like a distributor exclusive for $699. Don't see any in stock though .😐

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Beautiful. Almost makes me wish I was a 5.56 fan. Pretty as hell, and just the right size.
If you like its looks that much, I'd say buy it.

For over 30 years I deliberately ignored the AR platform, preferring .my 308 (HK91, FAL) and 7.62x39 (AK).

At gun shows I would joyfully walk past dozens of tables with AR stuff; I'd ignore the .223/5.56 cartridges for sale at cheap prices.

I wanted a real combat rifle and caliber, not something that fouls its own action and shoots a varmint bullet.

Then my friend got a job at a shop that was primarily AR's and the Barbie-doll level of accessories for it. Somehow, perhaps from Fear Of Missing Out, I got an Aero Precision M4E1. It was fun to put together; it was fun to shoot. Highly accurate. I then got a Colt AR-15A4. Iconic. I kicked myself for letting my bias sway me for so long.

Three months later, buying an AR in this state was illegal.

So don't let your dislike for the caliber influence you too much if you really like the rifle. Chances are you could probably sell it later with little loss of money. You may actually enjoy shooting it.

It is indeed a beautiful rifle.

I wonder if it's more accurate or reliable than my $250 or so all in SKS???
IMAG0072.jpg

Latest posts