Moving into 44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have loaded 44 mag in the past but in a very limited number for a friend that has a Dan Wesson 44. I loaded middle of the road powder charge and we shot it together. It fired great and he was very satisfied with my work.

So, I have purchased a Smith and Wesson 629.

Today I purchased 500 Hornady XTP 240 gr bullets.

CCI 350 primers

Winchester and Starline brass (200 each)

Win 296 powder.

Lee factory crimp die.

I am going to be using Hornady 10 edition manual.

I think that I am all set to get started.

Any advice from experienced loaders on the 44 mag round?

Plinking and target work is my purpose.

Bill

Think you are starting out pretty good. I load 240 grain XTP's with CCI 350 primers and H-110. I have used 23 grains and 23.5 grains of powder and settled on 23.5. I have used most common brands of brass but now use Starline for my hunting loads. For plinking I use Rem, Fed, and Win brass with cast bullets and different powders.

My hunting loads shoot great out of my 5" Super Redhawk. My 12" Encore, my 77/44, and a Redhawk that I no longer own. My Encore will put 3 into 1" at 100 yards where they drop 2 inches from a 50 yard zero.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Sounds like you're good to go.

I've been reloading .44 Magnum since 1970.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Using H-110/W296 you will only be able to load magnum velocities. That is great with that bullet if you like full house loads but I have found my hand can take only so many of those type loads. I prefer reduced loads in the 44 magnum using #9, Blue Dot or Universal. I usually take 10% off the max load for the first two and as much as 20% off the max load of Universal for a comfortable shooting load. Of course I also use cheaper plated bullets.

Mus408

Hunter
I've started loading .44 Mag and Special also and found that for .44 Mag plinking loads 9 gr. of Unique
with a 240 gr. Xtreme plated bullet works well giving 870-890 FPS out of my S&W 629 with 3 inch barrel.

Chief 101

Hunter
when I am assisting somebody that wants to shoot a heavy recoiling revolver I always steer them towards low recoiling rounds. A flinch is easy to acquire and difficult to get rid of. Other than that, you have a nice revolver and fairly popular components for making ammo. Good luck

Thanks for the responses.

Chief 101,

I see your point. I have set myself up for loading some hot loads. Looks like I can load Win 296 to lower levels and produce a lower recoiling round.

Mus408,

I have loaded Xtreme plated bullets in other calibers. I noted that they limit FPS. I might end up going down that path. I have some Unique on the shelf.

Jimbo357mag,

I selected the W296 because it offered the same lower range of velocity but also offered the capability for top end performance. I am starting to see a trend here. You guys are telling me that those hot loads are not that fun for plinking. I hear you.

Mobuck,

I will load those XTP's at about 1100 to 1200 FPS and evaluate. I am shooting a 6.5 inch 629 so I do have the benefit of some weight. Hornady manual lower end velocity for 44 mag seems to be about 1100 FPS.

Ka6otm,

Good to go!

Rumrunner,

Looks like 23.5 is a nice 1300 FPS load.

Well guys, looks like most of you are telling me to consider a slower velocity option. I hear you.

Bill

Chief 101

Hunter
Mr Bill, do some research before you download WW296, I don't use much 296/H110 these days but in years past it was recommended to not go anything other that full-house loads with it. Again, have fun and shoot straight...

mikld

Blackhawk
First, I'd say put the FCD in a drawer somewhere and ferget about it...

44 Magnum is most likely my favorite round and I've reloaded it with everything from 123 gr. balls up to 310 T-Rex killers. I had "Magnumitis" when I got my first .44 (a 629) and used some H110/W296 for near max loads, but I've recovered and only use "hot" loads in my Contender. Depending on the gun (I have 5, 44 magnums) I like to load a 250 gr. LSWC to medium, maybe upper medium velocities and there's no pain after 40 or so rounds. For your Hornady bullets I's suggest the starting loads listed in your Hornady manual and think about other powders (you'll have much more "wiggle room") and use a good solid roll crimp. I have been using a Redding Profile Crimp for a few years and am very happy with it...

I think your mind is already made up, but I will also comment on the use of 296. Great for hot loads, but in spite of your manual suggesting lighter loads with it, I would not. 296 is difficult to completely burn well, and has a tremendous muzzle flash.

The shotgun powders are for me, a better choice for slightly milder loads.

WAYNO.

Buckeye Bill said:
Hello,

I am listening!

I got 3 pounds of W296.

2 pounds of HS6 and 2 pounds of Unique.

Also has some IMR 800X and 2400.

Did not know that about W296 and lighter loads. Research confirms everything stated.

Interesting information. That is why I asked.

I have loaded a lot of 296 over the years, and sticking with true magnum loads, it is still a great choice. But if ya want to back the load down just a tad, which is my choice, I've settled on Blue Dot. 2400 and/or the other slower shotgun powders also are very useful in a .44 mag.

I think what I learned over many years is a 240-300 grain bullet at 1100 fps is still quite potent, and is much easier to shoot.

WAYNO.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Just one more thing to do. Sell that Smith and get a Redhawk or Blackhawk so you can have some real fun!

Just got back from test fire.

Shot 30 rounds.

6 rounds of Factory Winchester White Box. Small cut on right thumb from cylinder release. HOT! HOT! HOT!

I put that box of WWB back in my range bag.

Next, I fired 24 rounds of my reloads with 22.0 grains of W296.

Not as hot as WWB for sure but still an attention getter.

Think I will drop down to 21.0 grains and see how it feels. Published Hornady data reports 20.7 grains for 1100 FPS. Lowest charge for W296. I will not drop below that mark with the W296.

Wow, you guys were on the mark. I would be OK to shoot a few of the HOT ones but a study diet would result in a flinch for sure.

Protoolman,

I have owned a few Ruger 44's over the years. My last one was a Hunter model with 7.5 inch barrel. That gun did not jump with factory loads the way this Smith did today. Still kind of like the Smith.

Bill

Latest posts