44 shot capsules

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cwweld

Bearcat
000 size pharmaceutical empty pill capsules are right at .358" diameter and about 1" long closed.
I'm guessing there might be veterinary capsules even larger in diameter. May be worth a shot (intended).

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
It slowed him down enough that my next round took his head off. During snake season I usually carry alternating shot shells and hog killer rounds in my revolvers.
The cartridges I put together shoot excellent at 12- 15 feet but I've not run across a rattlesnake to actually try them out. The way I do it in. 357 they hold 100 grains and #8 my .44 mags hold 150 frains and my 45 colt holds just under 200 grains of shot, I think those are about 25% more than if you use the actual capsules plus the gas check acts as a projectile as well.

Attachments

• 20240117_120144.jpg
    20240117_120144.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240117_120138.jpg
    20240117_120138.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 30

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
The cartridges I put together shoot excellent at 12- 15 feet but I've not run across a rattlesnake to actually try them out. The way I do it in. 357 they hold 100 grains and #8 my .44 mags hold 150 frains and my 45 colt holds just under 200 grains of shot, I think those are about 25% more than if you use the actual capsules plus the gas check acts as a projectile as well.
Sorry those are blurry. This is 2 shots each at 12-15 feet and pattern better than expected especially in the 45 Colt.

Papalote

Single-Sixer
CWWELD, I have been searching for vet capsules. Only ones i have found are too big in dia. Still looking.

Cal60 1906, I want to shoot these in a TC Contender barrel with the screw in choke. Not sure how the gas check would react in the choke.

Paul B

Hunter
When I was physically able I used to hike the local mountains and desert sometimes two or three times a week. My basic firearm was usually a Ruger 4 5/8" .44 mag or a Bisley 5 1/2" in the super Blackhawk frame. Sometime a hip holster and some times a shoulder rig. In my pocket was an S&W M60 with 5 Speer shot shell hand loads for snake duty. In roughly 50 years of desert ratting and mountain hiking I've seen more than my share of rattlesnakes. In all that time I have only had to kill three and one was only because an individual requested it. One because I stepped on it, one because the front wheel of my trail bike was pinning the snake and the snake wasn't very happy. Those two were while I was living in Mevada. Number three was at the range The range master's wife was running the office and she was baby sitting her grandkids. She called me over and asked me to kill the snake. I used astick to pin the head down and said I'd take a few hundred yards out and turn it lose, She insisted that she wanted it dead so I cut it's head off with my knife and tossed it into the dumpster. There was aways a problem with snakes getting into the bathrooms so I took to taking the M60 with shotshells into the can when I needed to use it. I never saw a single snake in either "room" but have beer there when the range master killed one so they did go there to get out of the sun.
Paul B.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
CWWELD, I have been searching for vet capsules. Only ones i have found are too big in dia. Still looking.

Cal60 1906, I want to shoot these in a TC Contender barrel with the screw in choke. Not sure how the gas check would react in the choke.
For sure you would want to take full advantage of the extra long capsules designed for the contender. Those were called hot shots I think but I could wrong. I have a 10 round box of loaded 357 loads from T/C and the amount of capsule coming out of the shell casing is as long as the cartridge itself. I'd have to go check.

I have several boxes of TC 44 hot shots..unfortunately shipping can be expensive

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
When I was physically able I used to hike the local mountains and desert sometimes two or three times a week. My basic firearm was usually a Ruger 4 5/8" .44 mag or a Bisley 5 1/2" in the super Blackhawk frame. Sometime a hip holster and some times a shoulder rig. In my pocket was an S&W M60 with 5 Speer shot shell hand loads for snake duty. In roughly 50 years of desert ratting and mountain hiking I've seen more than my share of rattlesnakes. In all that time I have only had to kill three and one was only because an individual requested it. One because I stepped on it, one because the front wheel of my trail bike was pinning the snake and the snake wasn't very happy. Those two were while I was living in Mevada. Number three was at the range The range master's wife was running the office and she was baby sitting her grandkids. She called me over and asked me to kill the snake. I used astick to pin the head down and said I'd take a few hundred yards out and turn it lose, She insisted that she wanted it dead so I cut it's head off with my knife and tossed it into the dumpster. There was aways a problem with snakes getting into the bathrooms so I took to taking the M60 with shotshells into the can when I needed to use it. I never saw a single snake in either "room" but have beer there when the range master killed one so they did go there to get out of the sun.
Paul B.
Paul
Where about in Nevada? I'm in Elko county and we have bull snakes all around here and some guys have run into rattlesnakes as well but I just have not had the opportunity to actually see one myself. Temperature wise its cold high desert here though so seeing one is on the rare side I suppose compared to down south where it is warmer.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Slight drift but still on topic. I have loaded the Speer shot caps. Two things to watch/listen for. First do not overload the capsules.Shot jammed in tight can split the cap over time. The shot should be a little loose. Second. When crimping use just a light crimp. Over crimping can "score" the cap. Then they can come apart on recoil. If you listen you might hear a tiny "click" when crimping. That is too tight it is cracked even if you can't see it.

jgt

Buckeye
I have some of the CCI empties and load them from time to time. I started to load with #6 shot and had sorry results. Then went to #9 and still not much better. I have been looking for smaller shot but have not found any so far. When I had only 38 caliber guns I used the wad and gas check method and got mixed results but those at least killed quail and such but had holes in the patterns. Now I carry my model 18 S&W with nasty nose modified long rifle cartridges. I crank the sights down to hit a 410 shell at rattle snake distance. I use my six inch model 17 for 22 handgun duty and keep the model 18 for dedicated snake gun. Mike Ventireno has written about snake loads for handguns and would be worth the time to read. He used a baking potato to test his loads on and it was impressive. Good luck in your quest.

Paul B

Hunter
Paul
Where about in Nevada? I'm in Elko county and we have bull snakes all around here and some guys have run into rattlesnakes as well but I just have not had the opportunity to actually see one myself. Temperature wise its cold high desert here though so seeing one is on the rare side I suppose compared to down south where it is warmer.
I lived in Winnemucca NV from 1970 to 1979. Only reason I left was a job transfer with a very good pay praise. I probably would have turned the job down but it was only a matter of time before they shut that weather station down. If I'd stayed, I would've had no idea where they might have sent me so I left. I did turn down an upgrade from Tucson the Salt Lake City. Would've made my retirement check a hell of a lot bigger.
Paul B.

I've used lots of .357 and .44 shot capsules for rattlesnakes around the house. I pretty much settled #9 shot I robbed from 12 ga. shells, but used #8 too.
I've never really found much need to pattern much past 6' or so as that's well out of striking distance of any snake I've ever run across.
As for shooting other things with the yugo capsules, they're too hard to come by to waste trying to shoot birds on the wing and clay targets.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Many folks rave about these, but after shooting several water moccasin and rattler with Speer and TC shot capsules which either bounced off or missed I found that a good old .44 slug does it without doubt.

loaded round

Hunter
CWWELD:
Don't know if this will help you or not. Been reloading for almost 60 years now, and back then we used to load pistol shot shells in 357 and 44 mag before Speer made shot capsules. We used regular cases, two gas checks. one loaded up side down over a proper load of powder. Poured in the appropriate amount of fine shot, and then seated the second gas check over the shot and then crimped the case. Took some time, but it worked if you wanted pistol shot shells. Contact me if you want further information. It worked for us back then.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
CWWELD:
Don't know if this will help you or not. Been reloading for almost 60 years now, and back then we used to load pistol shot shells in 357 and 44 mag before Speer made shot capsules. We used regular cases, two gas checks. one loaded up side down over a proper load of powder. Poured in the appropriate amount of fine shot, and then seated the second gas check over the shot and then crimped the case. Took some time, but it worked if you wanted pistol shot shells. Contact me if you want further information. It worked for us back then.
It still works very well, that's what I have been doing for a long time now plus the gas checks act as a projectile as well and you can get more shot in them.

Latest posts