Leaving dedicated 44 Special, it doesn't make sense for me?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have two 4 5/8 barreled 44 magnum Blackhawks. Also a couple 7.5" models, one a three screw. I shoot them all, and especially love the old model variety. But I reload my own and found I can tailor a handload to a particular gun and have a much more enjoyable shooting session and be considerably more accurate. Not to mention the fun of working with the guns to come up with that load and bullet that works best. On the two short barreled guns, they are NOT enjoyable to shoot with full house 44mag loads, either my own brew or factory loads. I sent one of them off to have a 44spl cylinder made for it and now it and my NM 44spl stainless Blackhawk are some of my favorites to shoot. If you are in the market for another gun, I would suggest looking for one of these New Model flat tops, and the 5.5" barreled guns are just about the perfect balance between power and handiness you can find. Sure I like to make a lot of noise and concussion sometimes, but it gets old quickly and wears me out, and I can shoot the 44spl a lot longer and therefore have more fun.
My absolute favorite caliber is the 45 colt, in a short barreled wheel gun, but the 44spl. comes awful close.

pix929319194.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I figure the the 44Spl properly loaded, bests a 45ACP all things considered, and it stays sub-sonic. My ears ring enough, and it doesn't get better as you get older.

That's plenty ( in a short-barreled Blackhawk) for protecting my hide up to and including big cats, even after sunset.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Personally, I've sold all my 44 mags. I am teetering on getting rid of the 44 spl (Blackhawk) and just running with the 45s. Basically, for simplification. But my NM Blackhawk is a sweet gun and it's hard to let go. What to do...

Rclark

Hunter
What to do...
If it was me... I'd hold on to the .44 Special :) . For myself, I prefer the .45 Colt, but the .44 Special is a grand cartridge to shoot too. If you have the reloading equipment for it, ... why not hold on to it? Now, I have two .44Mag revolvers left, and am thinking of getting rid of the SS 7 1/2" SBH (regular plow handle) either by trading or putting up for sale. My 50th .44Mag flattop will stay. Like to get a 5 1/2" blued .44Mag at some point just to round out a complete set of 5 1/2" SA revolvers in all the cartridges I like to shoot (already have .32Mag, .357 (finally!), .44 Special, and .45 Colt).