How many Taurus Revolvers do you own?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ifithitu

Single-Sixer
I own five Taurus revolvers,how man do you have in your revolver's collection?
Taurus 65 & 66 .357 Magnums 4" both.
Taurus 605 .357 Magnum Snubnose
Taurus 85 UL .38 SPL. Snubnose
Taurus 7885 .38 SPL.+P Snubnose

pete44ru

Hunter

I've had 3 ( a 94, a 941 & a 431) - and fervently hope I never see them again. :roll:

The 94's inner works galled shortly after I bought it new; It's replacement, a new 941, side-spit bullet debris right from the 1st cylinder of ammo; and I couldn't zero the new, fixed sights, .44 Special 431 with any load I tried.

OTOH, a Charter Arms .22WMR 3" Pathfinder & a 3" CA .44 Bulldog have never given me a lick of trouble in the 7 years I've had them.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Taurus'

5of7

Hunter
None.
Taurus used to make a reasonably good .22 revolver, but that is now in the past. The last 2 that I owned were not accurate enough to take up space in the gun safe. 8)

I own a 431 .44Special. Shoots great and functions perfect. I have owned a CH85 snubby 38 early production that was a flawless shooter. Also an early PT92 Beretta clone that also was a great shooter. My trouble started with a 4" 66 and a 941 that were pieces of you know what. Every late modeled Taurus I have shot or bought since were mostly junk.

Dave

RSIno1

Hunter
I own all I'll ever need - zero. A friend had one many years ago and had problems with it so it's never been on my must have list.

I own 2 model 85's both of which are 25+ years old, and in the last few years I have picked up a light weight model 85 and a blued model 605/357 snubbie for cheap money at auction...I also own a Judge that is a great home defense revolver with the new 410 defense loads and is a hoot to shoot, I have had one problem with a Taurus revolver that was returned to the factory, promptly repaired and returned to me.

Taurus revolvers are what they are....inexpensive firearms for those who cannot afford to spend more. They seem to have a higher percentage of warranty issues compared to the better known brands, but based on what I read here on the forum, is Ruger any better these days? My older 85's are really nice, very reliable snubbies that are both keepers, as is the judge..the lightweight is dependable, but its lightweight makes most folks who shoot it, not want to shoot it again! But it is reliable and can be carried and concealed easily and is an all metal handgun, as opposed to the LCR which would be an equivalent for size and weight.

Taurus' can be hit or miss, I guess I have been lucky...but for the prices I have paid for mine, I have zero complaints...I do think that they get unfair criticism based on Internet rumor, etc.

YMMV. Just MHO....

ZERO.

There was a time they were very affordable, and I've owned a couple. Learned quickly why they were so inexpensive.

Fast forward a lot of years. A buddy bought a Taurus semi auto. Had problems, which Taurus could not understand, and did not want to extend their lifetime warranty. They finally decided to accept the gun for repair, and after a couple months, the gun was returned to my buddy, but they never addressed the original issue. Took a second trip to Taurus and it was ultimately repaired. That was enough for me.

The irony...I surround myself with very gun-savvy people. There's a couple of these folks that see Taurus completely differently than I do, and would not hesitate to buy another, tomorrow.

Heliman said:
I own a 431 .44Special. Shoots great and functions perfect. I have owned a CH85 snubby 38 early production that was a flawless shooter. Also an early PT92 Beretta clone that also was a great shooter. My trouble started with a 4" 66 and a 941 that were pieces of you know what. Every late modeled Taurus I have shot or bought since were mostly junk.

Dave

Let me be clear...... The Taurus firearms I had in the 90's and the recent production guns are totally different animals. The newer products being far inferior. The one I do have, the 431, is a good reliable firearm.

As a comparison, I would call Ruger "fair" on recent initial quality and Taurus as "very poor" for the last 10 years or so..... JMO from experience of BOTH manufacturers.

For what it is worth, Kimber is also not what it used to be along with Remington too.

Seems to be an industry wide issue for assembly line guns.....

Dave

pete44ru

Hunter

Yep - Most of the experienced/talented firearms factory personnel are long retired or passed on to the Golden Corral.

Johnnu2

Hunter
YUCK................ NONE..... nor autos either !!!
I had a Taurus PT-145 for ten years and I loved it because it looked good to me and felt great in my hand. After the first catastrophic failure, I paid to have it shipped back to them because I really liked it and they wouldn't pay the freight. Then, after the manual safety switch broke off I had second thoughts, but I was able to buy the part and fix it myself. Finally, the entire trigger mechanism just fell apart...... It's tough to have any confidence in a company that makes a gun that fails three times..... Could you imagine if I ever needed it for real? Traded it for a Springfield Armory XDS (but when I absolutely have to carry......it's still an S&W Airweight 637..............
NOPE .... NO TAURUS HERE.............. EVER AGAIN.
J.

Terry T

Buckeye
Four.
3" stainless .22 LR, 4" stainless .22 mag. , 2" ported, stainless 5 shot .45 acp. and a 2" ported, titanium 5 shot .45 LC.
They haven't had 'hard use' but no problems so far. They've all gone 'bang' when I've pulled the trigger.
Double action triggers are pretty stiff (some might say "horrendous" :shock: ) especially compared to a tuned S&W or even a stock Ruger Six series double action.
I'm not aware of anyone else making the 'K' frame size, 5 shot, in .45 ACP or .45 LC. so .... they fill a niche. Kind of like a Webley or Charter Arms "Bulldog" - 'old school' big bore 5 shot 'belly gun'.
I passed my CCW qualifying course with the .45 ACP. so I actually can shoot it pretty well in spite of it's trigger issues. :D
Terry T