How Safe is your Collection

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
There is a big bank vault for sale in NH for $8K and it is already taken apart and ready to move...

Outside overall dimensions:
160"long x 118" wide x 110" high

The 110" high part might be a problem for your standard basement...

hittman

Staff member
I've got a Remington Rand 4 drawer "Safe File" file cabinet. Looks like maybe WW2 surplus. (??).

The drawer fronts and the body sides, back, top and bottom are layered with an inch of concrete (it looks like). Luckily found it at a local used office supply store and they delivered it. No guns in it but does keep ammo and other important items. If you find one locally it'd be a good item to have. I'm sure with it's weight, shipping costs be prohibitive,

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I worked fire dept. getting in a gun safe is easy with the right tools(easily bought) I have a couple safes however...Better than nothing and if in the right location ...a big help. In the bottom of mine I happen to have 500 pounds of lead stored in each. you will not walk the corners of them without receiving a hopefully painful hernia. When we moved here we looked at a small ranch. Beautiful house...with a built in bank vault. A real one. Didn't buy it mainly because it was 1200 acres...a lot of land to keep up with. Bought another place with a vault built into the basement. 1/2 the land...no neighbors for 40,000 acres(BLM) behind us... we own in front of us. Only people we see is people that are lost Not much PoLeece presence though

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, mine is 54" tall and 32" deep. Three men and a pickup with a Tommy Lift brought it into my walk out basement.

I'd buy a 2 drawer if I found one in the area.

Last edited:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
When I lived on the Eastern Shore I went to a local auction(Crumpton Center of the Universe). Bought one of those Heavy Locking File Cabinet. Took two men and a boy to load it. Put it in my small gun shop on the farm. Unloaded easy with a large tractor and front end loader. It had about 8 drawers.... ball bearing drawers too. Heavy and locking. Didn't bring it to Wyoming. Left it with a shooting friend. No guns in it but lots of important stuff. Bolted into the floor in his shop. Here in Wyoming not far from home a fellow had a real HD 2 drawer cabinet in his store that I bought. I keep powder in it locked up of course...I don't want to move it again . It will hold up to 200 pounds of powder

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
My 2 drawer fire-resistant file cabinet is nowhere close to the weight of any of my gun safes, but it is not something I could move without mechanical assistance. The cement-filled sides, back, and top are 2" thick and the drawer fronts are 2.5" thick. It is definitely all there, weight-wise. I have a walkout basement and got it in by myself, but I was 20 years younger then. I slid it down a ramp to get it out of my truck and then to a regular dolly to get it in over the threshold and then to a furniture dolly for the home stretch. I don't recall where I got it, probably surplus from my old job, and it doesn't have a key so I hope the lock never engages. The latch on the top drawer is broken so only the bottom drawer will latch when closed. I just keep paperwork and some old model Ruger boxes in it.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I had a good friend who was a home based class III dealer and he had over 30 SMG's and full auto rifles in his house behind and under sofas, under beds, in closets, no video surveillance, no alarm, no dog... nothing.

I had no idea he had them stashed like this and I was at his house one day and he revealed this to me and I was shocked to say the least, he was so cavalier about it!

I told him, "If I were a cop answering a call for theft of them here, I'd kick your butt and after losing my job and you got out of the hospital I'd do it again"

His jaw dropped and he said he'd get a REALLY BIG safe. I don't think he did before he passed away. RIP Denis

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
Today I'd like to have a space where I can safely display my collections as well as having an undisturbed bench for cleaning & minor gunsmithing.
The money you spend won't be missed a year from now, the year(s) you spend in your space will be priceless.......

I am very fortunate to have the space to do something like this.
About 5 years ago one of my old boats had a wiring short and burned up in my 36x48 four bay pole building/shop. Fiberglass smoke damage required tearing it all down. Long story short, I took the insurance $ and rebuilt. I had always wanted a "safe room" for my collection
So, I added another bay and built inside it.
It's 10ft x 20ft with 8 inch thick concrete walls & 6 inch ceiling. 1000 lb door, framed in hard sprayed insulation walls & ceiling, heated floors, and a dehumidifier.
It is my happy place :D

Cheers,
JaydaWg

Attachments

• 20221115_083657.jpg
    20221115_083657.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240319_122044.jpg
    IMG_20240319_122044.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221206_094527.jpg
    20221206_094527.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 32
My collection is pretty safe - most of it moved on to new owners, via an FFL who bought it during the China virus panic (the missus didn't want too much stuff to deal with if I fell off the roof or something ;^). Kept a few 'garden variety' shooters and a couple 'odd ball' guns, just because.

But I still have fun tinkering, reloading & shooting - and my wife STILL thinks I've got too much junk (so I've started listing a few items under the Classifieds here)!
:)

Latest posts