High Velocity vs. Standard Velocity .22 Ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Ruger is warning about using OTHER CARTRIDGES, such as the .22Short and .22Long. "Other cartridges" would include .22WRF, .22WMR, .22Remington Auto, .22Winchester Auto, .22Extra Long and all those funky little obsolete .22 rimfire cartridges that may still be lingering about. It is chambered in .22LR and the Stinger, Spitfire, Yellow Jacket, etc. are all .22LR cartridges.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if Ruger did not want you shooting hyper velocity ammo in their guns, they would tell you that specifically in plain English. You guys are reading WAAAAAY too much into what has been ommitted. It is silly to think that Ruger would not have updated a manual, which has been updated several times and in several ways, since 1977 to add a warning not to use a specific type of .22LR load.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
I said it before and I'll say it again, if Ruger did not want you shooting hyper velocity ammo in their guns, they would tell you that specifically in plain English.

Just how plain do they need to be??? :roll:

I think the website is very plain on this matter, as is the Manual that came with your gun. Shoot whatever you want in your guns and good luck with it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
w5lx said:
Just how plain do they need to be???
Uh, rather explicit!!! You're reading into it because they didn't say TO use hyper velocity ammo. I'm reading it literally and I KNOW, without a shadow of a doubt, that if Ruger did NOT want you using hyper velocity ammo, IT WOULD SAY SO IN AS MANY WORDS IN THE MANUAL!!!!!!!

Cholo

Staff member
CraigC, it doesn't say so in the manual but does say so in the link towards the top of this page. It's on Ruger's home page under FAQ's. It seems odd after all these years they hadn't put it in the manuals. Fox Mike may have Ruger's excuse, I mean reason, for the omission :wink:

FWIW: I've never used and never will use "hyper" ammo in my MKll's.

Fox Mike said:
Cholo said:
So why isn't it CLEARLY stated in um, oh let's say...the manual?
I have written to Ruger about this. Lets see what happens. I should get a reply in three days according to their notice.

Here is the question I asked and the reply I received:

Comment / question:

The Mk II and MK III user manuals state:"...is chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards..."
Your on-line FAQ states: "What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger .22 pistol?" and you answer includes the statement: "Do not attempt to load hyper velocity."
Why is this statement NOT in the users manual?

Response:
Perhaps the manual could be worded slightly differently but basically is stating what type of ammunition should be used in the pistol. The Ruger .22 pistols are not designed to shoot the higher pressured rounds, such as hyper-velocity and ultra-velocity. They will probably malfunction and could possibly damage the firearm.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Fox Mike said:
Here is the question I asked and the reply I received:

Comment / question:

The Mk II and MK III user manuals state:"...is chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards..."
Your on-line FAQ states: "What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger .22 pistol?" and you answer includes the statement: "Do not attempt to load hyper velocity."
Why is this statement NOT in the users manual?

Response:
Perhaps the manual could be worded slightly differently but basically is stating what type of ammunition should be used in the pistol. The Ruger .22 pistols are not designed to shoot the higher pressured rounds, such as hyper-velocity and ultra-velocity. They will probably malfunction and could possibly damage the firearm.

Exactly right. It is simply common sense. Those who suggest you can shoot hyper-velocity ammo because it is not specifically prohibited are reading way too much into the simple recommendation on what ammunition should be used in the gun.

captainjack

Bearcat
I read that some of the pre war Colt Woodsman .22 SA pistols should only be used with standard velocity ammo. Thats the only reference I have ever seen regarding this subject. I can't remmber the last time I even saw standard velocity ammo.

forgive me if this has been addressed on the previous pages of this post and just redirect me..

but what exactly is the difference in FPS between standard 22 long rifle, High Velocity Long Rifle and this Hyper Velocity Long Rifle ammo?

I've got a few 100 round boxes of Winchester Super X ... Super Speed HP.. that says it is 1330 FPS but only calls itself High Velocity. All my other High Velocity ammo is in the 1200 fps range.

smokeyw

Bearcat
I don't know if there is an industry standard for Hyper Velocity ammo. I expect there probably is but I'm not sure. I have a box of Stingers. They state 1640 FPS and the box says Hyper Velocity.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
For what it's worth, I've been using Stingers and Yellow Jackets in all my .22's for quite some time with no damage. However in light of Ruger's clear recommendation to NOT use hyper-velocity ammo in their guns, I probably won't use it anymore in Rugers. It's not that big a deal to me. High Velocity stuff works just fine and maybe I'll save myself some damage by using it. I'll save the Hyper-Velocity stuff for my S&W 617.

CraigC

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
fbut what exactly is the difference in FPS between standard 22 long rifle, High Velocity Long Rifle and this Hyper Velocity Long Rifle ammo?
There's not really a standard but they tend to stand out of the crowd. Regular high velocity rounds usually utilize a 36gr HP at around 1250fps. Hypers go lighter and faster, between 30gr and 33gr and typically 1400-1600fps. Although Aguila has a really fast one over 1700fps. I've never really played with them much due to decreased. I've chronographed Federal Spitfires at 1200fps out of a Single Six, which is advertised as a 31gr at 1500fps from rifle barrels. That's 200fps faster than HV loadings.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
To stir the pot some! :lol:
For the Single Six you CAN use Hyper-velocity
From page 12 of their manual:
"The RUGER® NEW MODEL SINGLE SIX®, HUNTER and BISLEY
revolvers chambered for 22 long rifle are intended to be used with any standard make of 22 long rifle, long or short ammunition in either regular, high velocity or hyper-velocity loading."

So it depends on the firearm.

Lateck,

WTC7SmokingGun

Bearcat
Here's a FWIW, and contrary to popular belief... I shot 100 rounds of 20+ year old rimfire ammo the other day without a single failure to fire. I'm keeping the other 100 rounds another 10 years just to prove the stuff lasts at least 30.

The greater the surface area the less friction. Seems counter-intuitive at first but if you think about it... a flat rock slides over the pavement; you can scratch you name in the road with a sharp rock. The length of the bullet and barrel matters a lot. ;)

Cholo

Staff member
I had a partially filled box of Remington's I bought in the 70's. A few months ago I decided to use them up in a MKll. The 3rd shot ripped the rim off the empty and the rest of the case was stuck in the barrel. They shot fine in a revolver.

My guess is age had something to do with it, though they all fired.

smokeyw said:
I don't know if there is an industry standard for Hyper Velocity ammo. I expect there probably is but I'm not sure. I have a box of Stingers. They state 1640 FPS and the box says Hyper Velocity.
Look here: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/208.pdf (all 77 pages) and the answer will probably be there