High Velocity vs. Standard Velocity .22 Ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I would not use Hyper velocity ammo in a Walter P22 as they are known to have issues with slides self destructing...

Image = http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachm...e055ca87a2fc&attachmentid=205954&d=1287094486
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16147097

016.jpg

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-318591.html

Just depends on your gun and certainly the Ruger MK I,I I, and III are very rugged and the Single six is even stronger so in those guns I would not worry even though I don't use the stingers (I like CCI standard velocity best of all 22lr ammo).

I have a Walther P22 and for the record I really like it as a cheap, lightweight gun but I also recognize that it should be considered a disposable gun and I check it for signs of cracks every time I use it!

WIL TERRY said:
smokeyw said:
I also think there was a misunderstanding. I think they are refering to hyper velocity ammo. I know that Ruger says not to shoot hyper velocity in their Mark pistols. It probably varies depending on the manufacturer and the firearm.
BY GOLLY, this would be news to me. NONE of my STURM,RUGER&COMPANY MANUALS make any mention of such things.
Look here: http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/markIII.pdf

w5lx

Single-Sixer
I'll save the reader some time. This is what the Mark III Manual says regarding ammunition:

"The RUGER® MARK III pistol is chambered only for the .22 caliber Long
Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry
Standards. Do not attempt to load .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22
caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22
shot shells is not recommended."

ranger1

Buckeye
w5lx said:
I'll save the reader some time. This is what the Mark III Manual says regarding ammunition:

Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry
Standards. Do not attempt to load .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22
caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22
shot shells is not recommended."

Smokeyw's post already brought this to our attention :) :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Ruger is NOT telling you NOT to use hyper velocity ammunition. If they were, they would spell it out in plain English. Ruger is telling you that their pistol is chambered in .22LR and NOT to use .22Short or .22Long ammunition. Nothing more.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
CraigC said:
Ruger is NOT telling you NOT to use hyper velocity ammunition. If they were, they would spell it out in plain English. Ruger is telling you that their pistol is chambered in .22LR and NOT to use .22Short or .22Long ammunition. Nothing more.

BINGO....WE HAVE A WINNER !!!!

wow, some of you guys just do not have any "clue".......

YOUR guns, YOUR money , YOU do what YOU want, but for the "unknowing", don't come running to us, when you 'FUBAR' your gun............and you have and will continue to do so...common sense, should prevail. Nuff said.................

w5lx

Single-Sixer
The message is pretty clear to me. How clear do they have to make it?

Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards....."

CraigC

Hawkeye
You're reading too much into it, period. Believe me, if Ruger did not want you shooting hyper-velocity rounds through it, they WOULD tell you, in bright, bold, red print.

smokeyw

Bearcat
This is straight from Rugers website:

What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger .22 pistol?
The Ruger .22 pistols are chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high-velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. Do not attempt to load hyper velocity, .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22 caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22 shot shells is not recommended.

Cholo

Staff member
smokeyw, I poked around in Ruger's website and couldn't find your reference, though I did find the others that didn't specifically mention "hyper velocity". I'm not doubting you in the least, I'm just curious where it's listed. I was snooping around in the manuals section.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
It is CLEARLY stated in the FAQ's under "What kind of ammunition should I use in my Ruger .22 pistol?"

"What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger .22 pistol?
The Ruger .22 pistols are chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high-velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. Do not attempt to load hyper velocity, .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22 caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22 shot shells is not recommended."

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q50 (Click on Pistols)

It's pretty clear to me.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
So why isn't it CLEARLY stated in um, oh let's say...the manual?
Cholo as for the manual, my first guess, correct or not, would be that the hyper-velocity restriction was left out and rather than print addendums, it would be cheaper to include the restriction on the website. My second guess is that the original intent for not wanting hyper velocity ammo to be used was unclear with the current wording. Again, it would be cheaper to make the information available on the website rather than reprint manuals.

It's just a guess though...

Cholo

Staff member
Donaldjr1969, "hyper" velocity came on the scene in '76 with Stingers, Yellow Jackets followed. That's a looong time to not change a manual! In fact that would cover MK l, ll, and lll.

ranger1

Buckeye
The wording is exactly the same in the MK II and MKIII manuals.

I am guessing that it's an oversight on Ruger's part....by not amending their manuals. Publishing it in the FAQ means nothing to most users.....it must be written in the owners manual.

Personally, it makes no difference to me. I don't shoot hypers anyway.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
Donaldjr1969, "hyper" velocity came on the scene in '76 with Stingers, Yellow Jackets followed. That's a looong time to not change a manual! In fact that would cover MK l, ll, and lll.
Yes, that is a long time to let it go. But being a former manufacturing worker, I can only offer this possible explantation. In order to keep costs down, Ruger may have only bothered to change the highly relevant information in the manual. This means that they will not have to have as many printing plates redone by the printer for the manuals. I admit that sounds stupid and petty. But to bean counters, saving a penny is significant.

Like I said, that is the only somewhat logical reason I can find based on the information you mentioned.

Like others, I do not shoot hypers anyway. I have no need to do so, especially out of a pistol. At nearly 4 times as much as a good bulk 22lr round and over twice as much as a brand like Winchester Super-X, hyper-velocity is a waste of money to me.

I know the Marlin Model 60 does not respond well to hypers. It can and will break the nylon bolt buffer. While a broken bolt buffer will jam the action, it is not fatal. replacing the buffer and cleaning all debris restores the rilfe to normal operating conditions.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
So why isn't it CLEARLY stated in um, oh let's say...the manual?

Hi,

What's UNCLEAR about "or any other type .22 caliber cartridge?"

Maybe I'm overthinking this:

"Hmmm... I wonder if should shoot this stuff? Ruger says to shoot 'standard or high velocity' ammo and one shouldn't load either a couple of specific types, 'or any other type .22 caliber cartridge.'

"Ok," I ask myself, "Is it standard velocity? Yes? Then I can shoot it w/ their blessing. No? Well, then, is it high velocity?

"Yes? Then I can still shoot it w/ their blessing. No? Well, I guess it must be 'any other type,' which they say I shouldn't."

They didn't say I "can't." I "can" do all kinds of stuff in life, against advice that says I "shouldn't." Some of those actions may or may not cause significant trouble somewhere down the line. The risk in doing them rests w/ me...

If "high" velocity and "hyper" velocity meant the same thing, we could save an entry in the dictionary, but we didn't. Same w/ "shouldn't" and "can't." Seems a simple concept to my left-handed and dyslexic pea brain...

Rick C

Kinda goes back to Dan's post . . .

"YOUR guns, YOUR money , YOU do what YOU want, but for the "unknowing", don't come running to us, when you 'FUBAR' your gun"

Any mechanism only has a finite number of cycles in its expected lifetime. The more you stress the mechanism, the fewer cycles you can expect to get out of it. Your call.

:) ;) :)

Latest posts