Gun Show Security Six Story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tek4260

Buckeye
A few weeks ago I was at the Jackson MS gun show and spotted a low back Security Six. Pretty rough and missing the rear sight blade. Priced at $250. I ask the dealer if I could look at it. As I was going over it....

Dealer proceeds to lay this one on me.

"Those are the best pistols ever made. When the President passed a constitutional ammendment that allowed security guards to carry guns in the 70's Ruger introduced the Security Six for security guards. They only made them for a short time because Colt sued Ruger for copying the Python. Actually the Ruger is smoother than the Python and worth more too."

I say it looks kind of rough and it is missing the rear sight blade.

He says "they are easy to find and that a S&W rear sight will work fine in it and drop right in. But it is better to leave it out so it doesn't hang on your holster. All the professional security guards removed them."
:roll: :roll:

I offered 150 since it had all that history, but he says 175 is as low as he can go. Oh well, I passed on it. Shame since there isn't a story I have ever heard about a gun as good as this one.

O

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
"...When the President passed a constitutional ammendment that allowed security guards to carry guns..." ???

I think I missed that. I sure am glad though. :roll: :roll: :D

...Jimbo

Snake45

Hawkeye
I think that's the wildest-ass gun show story I've ever heard! If we were giving prizes, I'm pretty sure you'd win! :lol:

hittman

Staff member
Musta been a Republican in the White House that year.

You should have bought it ~ word on the street is that was the prototype Congressional-approved-Presidentially-authorized-issued-to-Mr. Heller Security Six, hand tooled by Mr. Ruger himself.

just another 'carry-over' from the days of the "snake oil" salesman....'

"if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit...." :roll:

remember, EVERY gun has its own story............. :wink:

Stoots

Buckeye
I don't entertain gunshow, gunstore or gun dealer BS. As soon as it starts I hand the gun back (if I'm handling one), turn and walk away, or out the door.

I'm not going to have my intelligence insulted.

Just me.

:wink:

GP100man

Buckeye
Stoots said:
I don't entertain gunshow, gunstore or gun dealer BS. As soon as it starts I hand the gun back (if I'm handling one), turn and walk away, or out the door.

I'm not going to have my intelligence insulted.

Just me.

What Stoots said !!!!

But sometimes & your ss story would have been 1 ofem I let em go on to see what they say !!!amusement in a lull of walkin!!!

contender

Ruger Guru
rugerguy is oh so right.
I agree that hanging around,, and even "encouraging" more "info" can lead to some pretty wild tales. You gotta have a life full of laughter!

Hugh

Buckeye
Makes one kinda wonder why it wasn't called the Security Guard Six. That's just plain embarassing. I'd hadda paid the 175 if I saw nothing further with the shooter, thank him, and leave. I hope the vendor didn't believe that story.

most of those guys have NO clue, thats part of the "baffle 'em..." they do not even pay attention to what they are saying, they just go on and on, make things up as they go........sometimes it may just be 'boredom' sit on their duff, their brain goes numb after about 5-6 hours on one of them hard gun show chairs............

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
That's what you call SALESMANSHIP, my friends. If he had guns that were truly rare enough (or in good enough shape) that they'd sell themselves, he wouldn't need to say a word.

Cholo

Staff member
The dead giveaway in his tale is that is was actually S&W that sued Ruger over Charter Arms Python Pathfinder. Well, that didn't sit too well with Freedom Arms who then sued Colt, who sued Taurus. About 100 years ago, before they became our brave Border Patrol Agents, they were called Security Agents who were one step above mall guards. That's where Ruger got the name "Security" from...hall monitors.

...and now you know the rest of the story.

Sincerely,
Paul Harvey

resident

Single-Sixer
"When the President passed a constitutional ammendment that allowed security guards to carry guns in the '70's..."

That is definitely the political expertise typically found and spewed at gun shows. :roll:

(And if it was in the '70's it 1: couldn't be Nixon, a Quaker who, along with the Secret Service, panicked when Elvis presented him with a pistol in the Oval office, or 2: Ford, who never owned a handgun and considered only rifles and shotguns were legitimate for homeowners. It'd have to be Carter, who at least carried one while on guard duty in the Navy.)

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Was in a local gunshop Saturday where the "genuine knowledge" is 1 % and the B.S. 110%! Usually I wait to overhear the guy behind the counter trying to baffle somebody with his B.S. and then I get the "customer" to the side out of earshot and fill him/her in on the true info. I engaged the guy behind the counter as to the value of a Winchester 1890 in .22 Long at 90% condition and he tried to tell me they were worthless and absolutely no demand for them! In that case, I told him, I would give him $10 for every one he could come up with! It's a shame that people are just so dishonest today. I find this in just about every gun shop I go into today. Setting them up with hypothetical questions to "feel" them out. If their that dishonest face to face, think what it's like dealing with them on the internet!..............................Dick :roll:

jjwestbrook

Bearcat
I had a guy try to trade me a sig 556 pistol at a gunshow yesterday , it had the navy emblem on the lower. he said it was a special edition that was only available to navy seals. he said he was able to get it because he was in the coast guard. LOL

D R Greysun

Bearcat
tek4260 said:
A few weeks ago I was at the Jackson MS gun show and spotted a low back Security Six. Pretty rough and missing the rear sight blade. Priced at $250. I ask the dealer if I could look at it. As I was going over it....

Dealer proceeds to lay this one on me.

"Those are the best pistols ever made. When the President passed a constitutional ammendment that allowed security guards to carry guns in the 70's Ruger introduced the Security Six for security guards. They only made them for a short time because Colt sued Ruger for copying the Python. Actually the Ruger is smoother than the Python and worth more too."

I say it looks kind of rough and it is missing the rear sight blade.

He says "they are easy to find and that a S&W rear sight will work fine in it and drop right in. But it is better to leave it out so it doesn't hang on your holster. All the professional security guards removed them."
:roll: :roll:

I offered 150 since it had all that history, but he says 175 is as low as he can go. Oh well, I passed on it. Shame since there isn't a story I have ever heard about a gun as good as this one.

O

Ha, one reason I always have beans & bacon for breakfast on gun show mornings. I hear a good story like that one, I leave a blue cloud just so the SH knows how much I appreciate his knowledge! ;-0

D R