DISAPPOINTED W/"NEW" 1022 Trigger Assembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harley08

Blackhawk
I have an original 10/22, my Father bought for me. It dates to 1967.
Interesting thing is that it is a duplicate serial number!

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
I own 13 10/22 rifles, it became an obsession, built them many different ways, custom made stocks, international model with a blued steel receiver, FGS, SR-22, a couple of target rifles, one with almost no Ruger parts.
I do my own trigger work, polishing surfaces and sometimes replacing springs with aftermarket ones.

I don't mind the plastic trigger housing, but the aluminum ones do look nicer on the classic guns. I was fortunate enough to find some factory aluminum ones in good shape as well as a couple of the black anodized ones from Pike Arms (they now Cerakote them, which is NOT the same).

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
Brimstone surfaces in discussions occasionally. They had some difficulties, were on and off then on, but today I don't know if they even remain in business.

Where I am going here... I've only owned one Brimstone trigger group. And it came on a used 10/22 Target I used to own. This particular trigger was quite poor. I keep a supply of high end trigger groups, so swapping this one out was no big deal. But the point is, folks have had great success with Brimstone, and I did not. There seems to be a pig occasionally, in every product we can buy.

As a regular user of 10/22's, I nearly always swap the trigger group for a better one. And although the BX trigger is not as good as my Volquartsen's, it is still far superior than most of my newer factory standard triggers as supplied on 10/22's by Ruger. I have found myself bypassing the really good trigger groups and going straight for the BX as a replacement.
I also read good stuff about Brimstone and sent in a trigger group to receive their treatment. What I received back felt really good but it was mid winter and I just installed it then put it away in the safe. When spring came I took it to the range and the problems started. I tried to contact the company but by now they were closed down. I was very disappointed and believed I had wasted money and ruined a trigger group. After a few months, I learned they had lost their original building and had since relocated and reopened. I contacted them to explain my problems. The owner assured me he would resolve the issues which he did. I am very happy with the result. The owner also apologized for the problems and said they went through a period where one of their employees was turning out substandard work and he is no longer working there. I am very happy with this trigger group and will not hesitate to use them again.

Iroc

Bearcat
I bought a new Ruger 10/22 and was also very disappointed in the factory trigger. The rifle weighed 5lbs 7oz scoped, the trigger pull was 5lbs 13oz. It does go bang when you pull the trigger but It sure doesn't make for a very accurate gun when the trigger pull is over the weight of the rifle.

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
take the trigger apart and look at the sear surface on the hammer, ironically it is the roughest finish on the entire gun....

Attachments

• IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 32

G2

Hunter
Brimstone Gunsmithing is going strong.
I have many try my 10/22's and they want me to do the same trigger job on thier gun. I pull the trigger group, send it in, comes back and reinstall it. Take them out to shoot, they are happy as a _ _ _ _,,, well you fill in your blank.
They want to know how much $$,,,
If they didn't want the new flat faced trigger $45, With a new flare face trigger $85,,,, AND LUNCH!!! 😜

Seriously the $45 job (Tier 3) is more than worth it.
New Flat trigger installed also,,, for $85 total (Old Tier 2) ,,, you get what you pay for,,, the additional $40 is worth it!

Now with all that said the Ruger BX Trigger group for ~$70 is good option too. IMO not quite a Brimstone, but close.

As for the Poly, I have had no problems and when it gets scratched it's still black -vs- shinny silver.🙄,,, actually, the finish seems to hold up better.

Last edited:

Iroc

Bearcat
take the trigger apart and look at the sear surface on the hammer, ironically it is the roughest finish on the entire gun....
I took mine apart and worked on it, using all the factory parts I have it down to 3lbs 1oz and it totally passes the safety and drop tests. Probably should have just bought quality replacement parts and thrown away the junky Ruger internals. I'm going to drill out and tap the trigger for an over travel screw the next time I break it down.

Latest posts