New Red Dot first time shooting today.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to the indoor range to test and zero my red dot. I used a bean bag to steady my shots and pushed the target to the farthest point on the range ( I think 25 yards ) Shot 4 groups of 5 and at that range the groups were not super tight, but using a hand gun and a red dot for the first time. I am happy, but I wish my hands were that steady without the bean bag.

I was using lane three.

IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg

dannyd

Hunter
do you prefer the fast fire 3 over the 2? I was thinking of getting a red dot for a mark II
The 3 is definitely better than the two because of placement of the battery compartment.

The two you have to remove the red dot to replace the battery and sight in again, on the three is on top, so that you don't have to remove the dot.

Also, for me the closer the target the bigger the mil. dot. Fast work 7 to 25 yards 8 mil. , 25 to 50 yards 3 or 4 mil, out to 100 yards 3 mil.

s4s4u

Hunter
Does the FF3 allow you to manually adjust the intensity? I do not like red dots that auto adjust as it can be difficult to pick up the dot in certain conditions such as shooting from a shaded area into bright sunlight. I also prefer shake awake or similar auto live function. Athlon makes a nice unit that checks all my boxes.

contender

Ruger Guru
"You generally won't get tight groups with a dot because of the dot size.

It's hard to hold an inch when your sighting device is 2" or more. They aren't for precision work."

This is generally true. To be more precise in accuracy,, figure out the intended purpose, and match the dot MOA size to that purpose. A 2, 3 or bigger MOA dot will translate to a 2', 3" or bigger dot appearance at 100 yds. At 100 yds,, a 3 MOA will look like a 3" dot. No way to get a 1" group with that.
But a 2 MOA dot at 25 yds can be pretty good at getting good groups. That translates into 1/2" at 25 yds. Dots are not as precise as the fine crosshairs of a scope. But they do have features that make them desirable for many other things. I personally tend to prefer the smaller MOA dots on all my guns to assist in getting better groups,, no matter the distance. But I also know their limitations.

bear007

Bearcat
I went to the indoor range to test and zero my red dot. I used a bean bag to steady my shots and pushed the target to the farthest point on the range ( I think 25 yards ) Shot 4 groups of 5 and at that range the groups were not super tight, but using a hand gun and a red dot for the first time. I am happy, but I wish my hands were that steady without the bean bag.

I was using lane three.

View attachment 41045View attachment 41046
Using a pistol at 25 yds, I'd be happy with that target any day of the week. 😉

One way to improve dot optic accuracy on the range is use a target dot of contrasting color and keep the dot illumination low enough to see the target dot with the optic dot superimposed over it.
This is dependent on shooter's vision and how far one can clearly see the target dot.
On my 'show off' pistol, I have a smaller 2MOA dot optic. This allows more precise hold at longer distances (up to 100 yards). Doesn't work as well in the field as a bigger, easier to see dot.

s4s4u

Hunter
You generally won't get tight groups with a dot because of the dot size.

It's hard to hold an inch when your sighting device is 2" or more. They aren't for precision work.

The key is to use a target that accomodates the reticle. I like a large "donut" with the middle about twice the size of the dot. Put the dot in the "hole" and you can shoot some pretty nice groups.

Latest posts