Did I get taken at LGS ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Spare cylinders can be found. You just have to do a bit of hunting & looking.

One day,, between customer stops,, my helper & I stopped for lunch. Across the street was a very small pawn shop. Of course I went in.
This place was so small, it had a total of (3) glass display cases,, and very little room in there for other stuff. Mostly flea market junk.
But, nestled in a corner of one case,, sat (3) Ruger cylinders. (2) were in the box & bags. A .22 Mag, a .9mm, and a .45 acp. All for OM's. I asked,, and was told; "$75 for all 3."
Trying to be cool & calm,, as casually as I could, w/o whipping out my wallet & breaking my arm at the blinding speed I was considering,, I said; "Gee,, I'll take them, and hope they fit something."
My helper was smart enough to not ask any questions until we were back in the truck. When I told him what I'd just found,, he (once again,) threatened to kill me & remove my "golden horseshoe that's located up my ***" for himself.

You just never know.

... but three-screw Single Sixes have a slightly shorter cylinder than the new model. Might need to brush up on identifying skills.
Really? I just miced my flatgate and my new model and both were 1 13/32". I might add that the new model is a magnum cylinder and obviously, the flatgste is lr

Last edited:

amishjeff

Bearcat
just brought home this BH serial 30-38xxx Was actually just picking up another gun and saw this thing with 3 screws and might have got a little too quick on the trigger. No box or papers just marked 1970 Blackhawk .357 $550 so I grabbed it. Got home cleaned it up everything seemed solid until looked and saw those little rings inside cylinders and sure enough is 9mm. Does anyone know maybe if this was originally convertible and best place to find a replacement .357 cylinder ? Saw one on GB for $175. Is that fair price.
The second one on the left with the companion cylinder is my .357/9mm Ruger. Apparently yours is just missing the .357 cylinder. You can contact Ruger and send it in. They will fit a a new cylinder and re-time both cylinders. The stainless one 3rd down is my single six convertable I bought without the .22lr cylinder. Ruger fitted a new cylinder and re-timed both and returned to me. For some reason, I was not charged a penny for it. NOT complaining...lol

Attachments

• rugers.jpg
    rugers.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

amishjeff

Bearcat
Speaking of cylinders try buying one in stainless for a 22 mag single Six. Found one on a junk table at a gun show a few months ago for 90 bucks. Less than half price. BTW it fell right in, no fitting. Works perfect.
I also purchased a SSS at a show with the .22lr cylinder missing. Sent in to Ruger and they returned it with both cylinders and didn't charge me a penny. Not sure why but NOT complaining.....

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I don't know if Ruger will work on an Old Model but yes, they will fit cylinders in the original caliber(s) . There's no guarantee it will be free though

The biggest problem with sending it to Ruger is an Old Model will automatically get the "safety update". The one I would like to have a mag cylinder for is my Plum 1965, but there's no way I'm letting them do the update. I have heard they stamp the frame under the gripframe to indicate that it has been converted. No thanks, even though it's not visible and the update can be undone.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
The last 3 digits of the gun's serial# are etched into the face of the cylinder to identify it to the gun.
Usually but not always.
The biggest problem with sending it to Ruger is an Old Model will automatically get the "safety update".
The biggest problem is if they don't send the original parts back after the update. This does happen.

chet15

Hawkeye
You did great, probably could turn a profit on GunBroker flipping it. $175 is a decent price for the cylinder, they come up on Ebay occasionally as well. Make sure you get one that is for an old model as the fitting is different. Also, there's no guarantee that the timing will be correct. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You may need the help of a gunsmith to get it timed.

Another option is to send it to Ruger for a new cylinder, but if this doesn't have a transfer bar in it, they will put one in for you. They will send the original parts back, but you have to decide if you want to bother with that.

Finally, you could check with Borchardt Rifle Company, they make after-market cylinders, but last I checked they were so backlogged they were no longer taking orders.

Hope that helps!
Old model .357 cylinders are shorter than NM .357 cylinders. Ruger' will not be able to put a new cylinder in it.
Chet15

Johnnu2

Hunter
The biggest problem with sending it to Ruger is an Old Model will automatically get the "safety update". The one I would like to have a mag cylinder for is my Plum 1965, but there's no way I'm letting them do the update. I have heard they stamp the frame under the gripframe to indicate that it has been converted. No thanks, even though it's not visible and the update can be undone.
Yes, they definitely stamp the frame under the gripframe... see mine below and notice the "R" on the left side in the pic.... Also, I have a feeling that they may not return the original parts these days (although they have in the PAST).

DGW1949

Hunter
Being's how you asked:
Jay Scott grips....'converted action'...6-1/2" barrel....$550 is a bit more than I would have paid. On the other hand, they ain't making any more of 'em, are they?...So then there's that.

DGW

Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, they definitely stamp the frame under the gripframe... see mine below and notice the "R" on the left side in the pic.... Also, I have a feeling that they may not return the original parts these days (although they have in the PAST).
if you ever do want to have an old model converted to the safety retrofit, I always remove the action parts before I send it off to Ruger.

Rather than sending the gun back to Ruger, I suggest getting used retrofit parts on-line that someone has removed from a converted gun and install them. And don't stamp the R on the frame.

dweis

Blackhawk
You don't get taken. You take yourself. If you get sold a line of BS it, it is your fault for not researching the facts before you buy. The secret to success is not to be impulsive. TINSTASAFL: There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.