I resisted temptation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
As to this talk of a lathe… I would like to gain the ability and knowledge as to how to use one. Someday I would like to gain the ability to bore cylinders for accuracy's sake. Unfortunately I passed on metal shop in high school to take more math and science classes. Those classes paved the way to my ability to pay for my hobbies, but damn, I'm slapping myself over the missed opportunity! There aren't but a couple of true gunsmiths in the area and neither is willing to take on a 60 year old part time apprentice.

contender

Ruger Guru
I used part of my GI Bill to go to college & get a degree in Machining & Welding. So,, I do have a little knowledge in the use of a lathe.
I see myself tinkering with a few small projects that have been bouncing around in the back of my head.

Star43

Blackhawk
As to this talk of a lathe… I would like to gain the ability and knowledge as to how to use one. Someday I would like to gain the ability to bore cylinders for accuracy's sake. Unfortunately I passed on metal shop in high school to take more math and science classes. Those classes paved the way to my ability to pay for my hobbies, but damn, I'm slapping myself over the missed opportunity! There aren't but a couple of true gunsmiths in the area and neither is willing to take on a 60 year old part time apprentice.
You could also go back to one of those 2 gun-smiths in your area and dye your brown or black, your preference, and go in there and tell them you are only 40 !! Who knows, maybe one of them will take you on ? You never know ?? 😊😊

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
Good thing I haven't been on that forum for awhile or I probably would have had to pull out the credit card for that. Plus the Harley gets great gas mileage. Especially since I already have a gunsmith lathe.

contender

Ruger Guru
Bigbore5,, I'm not sure what you mean about a Harley,, but I had a chance at a GP-100 in .44 Spl for $500 that was closer to you than it was to me. I passed,, and chose to just appreciate the good deal on another lathe.

harley08

Blackhawk
Well, I may well be kicking myself a bit,, but I allowed a good deal to get by me.

Last night,, I saw a GP-100 in 44 Spl offered for sale. Used,, and the second owner was moving it along. it was a 2018 production gun, with box & papers. Offered FTF for $500 firm.
I would have had to drive about 2-1/2-3 hours to get it,, and I thought about it. Knowing it was a good price,, I still resisted,, saying; "If it's meant for me to have it,, It'll be available in the morning."
Well, someone else jumped on it, and it's gone.
I know it was a very good deal,,, but I really didn't see the "need" to own it,, as I have other .44 Spls, and prefer SA handguns in general.

Plus,, I just made a good deal yesterday,,, on an older table top lathe. So,, my "fun money" was gonna be a little tight. Still,, I may have a little remorse in not jumping last night.
Don't you hate that when it happens? Oh well, don't go kicking yourself in the rear, keep looking for what you want. That is part of the fun of collecting. AND you could make a list of the things you really want and always keep an eye out for those items. Rocko Rizzo

davidkachel

Bearcat
Well, I may well be kicking myself a bit,, but I allowed a good deal to get by me.

Last night,, I saw a GP-100 in 44 Spl offered for sale. Used,, and the second owner was moving it along. it was a 2018 production gun, with box & papers. Offered FTF for $500 firm.
I would have had to drive about 2-1/2-3 hours to get it,, and I thought about it. Knowing it was a good price,, I still resisted,, saying; "If it's meant for me to have it,, It'll be available in the morning."
I know it was a very good deal,,, but I really didn't see the "need" to own it,, as I have other .44 Spls, and prefer SA handguns in general.

Plus,, I just made a good deal yesterday,,, on an older table top lathe. So,, my "fun money" was gonna be a little tight. Still,, I may have a little remorse in not jumping last night.
I own a 3" .44 Spec GP100. Yup, you blew it! ;-)

In a world of Magnums do you want to be "Special"

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
Jon406,, the seller of the .44 Spl was an individual, and there was not any form of lay-away option.
When I said that I get great gas mileage from the Harley, I meant I would travel for a decent deal since gas wasn't as big a factor. But if I knew that Special was nearby, I would have been interested for sure.

Latest posts